Locations

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Bill Dilks, May 22, 2019.

1. Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland

Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,725
    back to the early days... any ideas on this exterior of Cliff's apartment? (Julie leaves, feeling used yet again, as Pam rushes up to confront her about the Orloff Red File situation in Spy In The House.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

nothing too distinguishing - some condo buildings that would have been fairly new at the time, I think. At least there's a street number! (I don't think this has been identified earlier in the thread, but maybe it has)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    9223 Chimney Sweep Lane, Dallas.

Pam confronts Julie coming out of Cliff's apartment.

A truck is parked just to the left, so I can't get a full and proper view. But this looks like it. Sometimes we just get lucky.

upload_2019-11-5_15-55-38.png

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +489
    It looks so much nicer now, with the trees grown up (and the sunshine doesn’t hurt, either).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bill Dilks

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    I guess it depends on preferences. Some like the cleaner look of less, younger foliage. Others prefer the character provided by more foliage, trimmed, and/or older greens and trees around. Large, overgrown bushes, for example, make a place look old. Large trees do add character and stability, but imply a sense of age. It is visually much more interesting now. For me, I like both...depending on my mood. Personal preference? None really, I guess it depends on the 'hood and what's going on at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. johnmmil10

johnmmil10 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +394
    I am glad the boards are back!

Here are a few locations we have not shared. You’ll be able to tell what season I am currently rewatching!

Naldo takes Jenna to Culver City’s Vista Motel.
    https://goo.gl/maps/kf8f5NEdeXnbcsbC6
    8D7EC0FB-8895-4BA3-9977-708FA2E40A31.jpeg

Donna and Ray go explore some of Sam Culver’s old records in this building.
    DE1E64B5-4BA7-4F7B-9FAD-7B17AF407466.jpeg

Look familiar? It showed up when we were dealing with Takapa and that bridge is where Harve will meet Bobby and J.R. when his AC goes out at the office! The building has been demolished with the expansion of the mall, but its twin still stands across the street. https://goo.gl/maps/F7zWpSkrzdJXgPFM9

Jenna’s bail hearing exterior:
    F10086C6-BAF5-415D-AEF7-FBBFA65C7A27.jpeg
    This is the Inyo County Courthouse in Independence, California. https://goo.gl/maps/uLs4xnix8JP778ua9

Here is one mystery I have not solved. When Pam goes to Jamaica to look for signs of Mark, she leaves this clinic disappointed.
    F7310981-DD5F-4062-B185-2F5544ED9450.jpeg

Where was this filmed? This one is yet to be determined!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Found another one. I don't think this has been posted before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Bill Dilks

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    Good exterior shot. I don't remember this. On page 1 of this thread we have the interiors from the Toluca Lake Tennis Club, 6711 Forest Lawn Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90068. Thanks MT. Great find!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  8. Bill Dilks

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    Excellent, jm10.

My guess is the clinic is/was a home on CA coast. Looks like a Palos Verdes Estates home, or Pebble Beach.

Below was the establishing shot for Bobby's senate committee, yeah, Takapa, among a number of others. It's been used quite a bit. It's memorable, guess that's why it was used.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  9. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +824
    It's from the season 3 episode Sue Ellen's Choice :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Bill Dilks

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    Found this in Malibu, intersection of Latigo Canyon Rd and Pacific Coast Hwy. Coastline in background is close. It's up, so a camera shot gets just the sea in the background. Updated, but quite a bit is similar, including the sloping front yard toward the updated porte cochere, cars in front of garages, rounded front/center of building, etc. What do you think?

Something else may turn up, but found this interesting.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...3f981a0f538d7!8m2!3d34.0492209!4d-118.7740043
    upload_2019-11-15_11-16-36.png

[​IMG]

11. cheaproberts

cheaproberts Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +88

yes It's possible I found the real adress 26720 Linda street Malibu, Zillow website says the house was completed in 2009 but I found that picture, il looks like the same ISekk1ny2eyi6h1000000000.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Bill Dilks

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    Excellent, CR. That's the one...I guess dated 2009 via rebuild. Looks like the owners went overboard in adding non-essential exterior extras. I like the original better.

• Like Like x 1
  13. johnmmil10

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +394
    I think y’all did it, @Bill Dilks and @cheaproberts. I wish Google street view was an option here! What I found backed up the same thing — originally built in 1982 with a rebuild or remodel in 2009! Footprint of the home looks to match nearly exactly in both pictures. Good work!

The episode and the real estate listing only have one angle that overlap, so I made this to compare.

85F61B01-4D07-4E90-86AF-1F5B936E0003.gif

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Bill Dilks

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    I learned from the best, jm10 (yeah, you!). Interesting site selection, in that there are so many options in and around LA, that this location so far away from LA/Culver City was chosen. Could be for personal reasons; we'll never know.

I would really enjoy talking to the location mgr(s) for this show about what he looks for, what enthusiasm or resistance he runs into, negotiations, etc.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. johnmmil10

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +394
    The stories behind the scenes are most interesting! Like when Dallas shot in the West End's Palm Restaurant -- I read that the restaurant didn't charge them to film there. That explains why is shows up several times.

Victoria Principal has a home in Malibu. I don't know about at the time this episode was shot though. Do you think it was a perk not have to drive all the way into the studio that day?

Malibu wasn't used a whole lot of times as a filming location, but I have a few on my list and I am adding this one! Thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 2
  16. johnmmil10

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +394
    After I posted above my mind wandered about Victoria and Malibu and making the most of the shooting schedule. At some point Larry had a home there, too. Could the outdoor Caribbean restaurant shown in the same episode as the house on Via Linda be in Malibu as well? It was so windy in both of those scenes. Could there be a connection?

I googled Malibu patio dining and started looking around. I found a place named Geoffrey's (27400 Pacific Coast Hwy in Malibu) not too far from the house. I couldn't find the perfect picture to confirm it 100%. But there were some similarities. In this very blurry screen capture, you can see Pam walking towards her table. Notice the roofline and the flowers sitting on the edge of the roof.
    6EFE4234-FF2C-49D8-964A-B2FAF17022D6.jpeg

It seems to line up with this section of roofline I circled below. And look! There are flowerpots sitting on the edge of the roof. Silly coincidence? Unfortunately, most pictures I find online are of the areas to the left of the orange circle.
    CA1BA21C-BC39-412D-971A-63F0643F9A9C.jpeg
    Here is a picture from the restaurant's website. It appears to be from the opposite side I am looking for, but I do see a bank of slender, vertical windows. That are similar to the ones Pam walked in front of. Hmmm.
    33742316561_7448dc724f_o-1.jpg

I also saw some pictures of the interior area that caught my eye but from different scenes. Later in that same episode J.R. and Serena meet up for her to tell him goodbye as she is getting married and moving away.
    85196D79-4703-4A6D-9B65-3D6496DDD7A2.jpeg

They are shown sitting with the bar in the background. We'll come back to the bar in a minute. Another angle shows them sitting under a very unique ceiling with curved beams.
    C794A0CB-8024-4F99-A4B5-C08B178A993C.jpeg
    The screenshots are pretty cruddy, but hopefully you can get the idea. While looking at interior photos of Geoffrey's I found this picture on Flickr of a uniquely designed ceiling. Look at those curved beams.
    1D1FB775-F83A-497E-B28C-3B9DC4912740.jpeg
    It isn't the same angle, but I think it is a match. Remember that bar I mentioned a few minutes ago? Jamie, the faithful Ewing Oil employee tracks down J.R., but realizes she best not approach his table and waits then hides by the bar...
    88C01B4E-BF64-4BD1-BAC5-44F8C22C5568.jpeg
    It is kind of an oddly shaped bar with the corners cut out. Some kind person on Yelp posted a current picture of the bar.

0E6A6D23-B05B-419E-9A83-B7108D7F6A14.jpeg
    It is still oddly shaped with the corners cut out.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a match! The episode Lockup in Laredo had interior and exterior films scenes filmed here. @Bill Dilks, going back to your earlier comment about the location manager, this one location filled in as a Caribbean patio and a Dallas restaurant! He did a great job here getting a two for one deal! Sorry for the long post and so many pictures. I was just excited to have stumbled upon this spot!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Bill Dilks

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    You're amazing, jm10. You have it! It's cool to be able to find 'em even after updates and rebuilds. And knowing the camera substantially changes distance perspective helps.

Great find!!!!!!

upload_2019-11-17_17-48-48.png

18. cheaproberts

cheaproberts Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +88

amazing thanks !!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bill B.

Bill B. Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I know this is a loooong shot but any ideas where these interior scenes were located? Episode "Reunion/part-2" [opening scenes] ...The location is in the Dallas area as season 2 episodes 1-7 were filmed entirely in Texas.[other than a few establishing shots!]...The hospital where Digger is drying out after drinking again.....The establishing shot for these interior scenes was the VA hospital in L.A.We know that this interior is not in that hospital.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  20. Bill B.

Bill B. Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thought you guys might find this interesting!......A friend of mine was the Creator/Executive Producer of a mid 1970s NBC TV series.He cast Tina Louise for a part in one of his episodes in 1974.According to him and a few others who worked on the set/episode she was a PAIN! [ I chose not to use the word they used to describe her!]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019