1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locations

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Bill Dilks, May 22, 2019.

1. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Hi Garry. I'm looking for the extras in this establishing shot. I see one guy walking, 2 at the bus stop and 4 on the sidewalk, plus the driver. Which ones are familiar to you? Thanks for jumping in.

I'm trying to remember at this point in the series, season 5, how much was actually shot in Dallas. Were most establishing shots at this point being done in LA? Were some still in Dallas?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. garry

garry Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Most location scenes for the first twelve episodes or so were usually filmed in Texas. This scene is an exception. It may have had something to do with the availability of one of the actors, such as Barry Corbin or James H Brown. Or maybe it was a closed set to keep the secret of Kristin dying in the pool.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bill Dilks

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Ah...ok, now I got it. What we're looking for is just the building location in the establishing shot as the limo pulls up, not where the interior court room scenes were filmed.

I have to admire your powers of observation on the extras. After having been through the series a number of times over the years, I'm just starting to see this.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  4. Bill Dilks

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Another point of interest. Farlow's house in 'Denton' where Swellen finds a wheel-chair bound Dusty. This extra below is, among other appearances, the bartender in the Land Down bar fight.

upload_2019-12-28_20-28-40.png upload_2019-12-28_20-31-6.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. johnmmil10

johnmmil10 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I can help with this one...

144 N Bristol Ave in Los Angeles

Looks like it is being renovated. https://goo.gl/maps/SrWfXa9w2zie4Ksn9

Here is an old real estate listing. https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/los-angeles/144-n-bristol-ave-los-angeles-ca-90049--2115649466

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Bill Dilks

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bill Dilks

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    On this drive up to the 'front' of "Braddock County CourtHouse", there's a lot of green around, which isn't typically found around LA. So I'm focusing more around the greater Dallas area and surrounding towns for starters. Not much in the scene that gives it away that I can see, unfortunately. But I'm still examining it. JM10 is the master at finding those details.

The limo turns off of what looks to me to be a 4-lane road, into a 2-lane road in front of the 'court house'. I see a Wonder Bread truck when turning. There's the red curb, which we also saw at Pam's apt complex in DIGGER'S DAUGHTER. Down the 4-lane road are some businesses on the right, 1- and 2-story. The area looks to be combo of a small busn district around houses with green in front, like the house to the limo's left as it turns onto the side street. But not much else yet.

I poked around Plano, Garland, and Wylie...no luck. Doesn't mean it's not there, just didn't see it. That 4-lane road could even be Walnut Hill Lane or the like.

upload_2019-12-29_17-39-49.png

8. johnmmil10

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +455
    This building is used as the exterior of Gary’s office in Conundrum.

D8CCEF35-6AE7-44B9-B45D-DD37AA8E7691.jpeg CB941B33-A340-45FB-93F0-120C70459A72.jpeg
    There isn’t too much to go off of except the red stripe and the railing. Yikes!

It wasn’t until several rewatches that I caught the same building outside of the window at April’s will reading (s14e06). See the red stripe and the railing!

54CCAC68-E26E-45C4-8B49-9A053437605A.jpeg 3BCE5BF6-76B1-4218-B046-10DE77C57B51.jpeg

Tonight I finally found the location! These buildings are one of the Warner Center Towers (21800 W Oxnard Street in Woodland Hills, CA). There are six very similar towers so I have not confirmed which one was Gary’s just yet, but I was happy to find the complex!

https://goo.gl/maps/ojwgD21soHtobXng6

@Bill Dilks, I looked for the Braddock County Courthouse this afternoon, but haven’t found anything yet!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bill Dilks

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Way to go, jm10. I had not considered Woodland Hills before, even for the later seasons. Hadn't seen anything else there, until now. Maybe there's more. Thanks for posting.

On the court house, do you figure it's around Dallas area also? Or do you have additional ideas?

10. johnmmil10

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +455
    It’s quite the mystery! Schedule wise it should be a TX location, but it does not feel very Texas-y to me. Going off of Gary’s tip about the extras, I looked up areas aground LA, but it’s hard to know what to look for. Courthouse? City Hall? Municipal Court?

This one continues to stump me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bill Dilks

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    ...or an otherwise unobtrusive structure like the BSA building used as a hospital. The sign itself tells me it's a video shoot only, not a real court house. Gary is talking about interior scenes with Barry Corbin, not establishing shots. I see it as a small town shot, having that mix of busn & homes on a 4-ln street through town.

12. garry

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The exterior is in California. A couple of the extras at the hearing are also seen outside.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bill Dilks

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Gotcha. You have a great eye!

There is nothing that I've seen yet that gives any clue of anything, aside from the extras. No signs, any wording on the building or across the street is blurred. Even the building in the glass reflection, or the green behind Harry as he speaks after the trial. And I now see characters before, during, and after the trial I think. But, they could be Dallas location extras, unless they are in other known LA scenes.

I am wondering, was it a real courthouse? The brick inside seems to match the brick outside. Yet I don't think that interruption would be permitted, imo.

I guess every town had the Wonder Bread truck. LA is a huge area, and the metroplex is a good size also. But, it'll be found eventually, of that I'm sure.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  14. garry

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They often filmed in locations near the MGM studios in California. Maybe it's worth looking around that area. For example the garage where James worked in the final Dallas season was very near the MGM studios. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  15. johnmmil10

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I think the interior filming is in the same building as the exterior we are looking for. Also, the ceiling in the court room shows up too much for a typical stage set. Just a hunch on my part though. Who knows. We could be looking at some side entrance to a building and not the main entrance. Clearly the main part of the building is at least a couple of stories tall.

They did! So many locations just outside the set were used. Now one thing I have not considered is a studio building being used. Those were used quite a bit as well (like as some police station exteriors). But those are more of an Art Deco style. As for James’s garage, do we know the location? In the past I looked for one near the studio, but didn’t find a match. Any more information you could provide.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bill Dilks

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Agreed, as you can see the steps inside the left entrance as Harry is waiting for JR after the courtroom scene. Yeah, we've found a number of locations around the Culver lot over the course of this thread. But now seeing the building(s) in the glass reflection, could be more urban. One is several stories tall. And the extra walking out is definitely in other shots, as are others meandering about.

upload_2020-1-1_9-40-30.png

I'm thinking college-type building, medical building, Boys Scouts of America type of building more functional than fancy.

What catches my eye here, again, is the green lawn between the building and main street. This to me looked like it could be a Plano-type of setting, along with the green behind Harry. Do you see a hill on the other side JR below? Hard to tell size of the hill. And I'm seeing a rising hand-railing or some-such across the main street on the other side of JR.

upload_2020-1-1_9-37-40.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  17. garry

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +412
    According to Sasha Mitchell the garage shop was four blocks from MGM studios and the owner was a friend of Sasha's. Not sure if it's still there as the owners moved.

• Like Like x 1
  18. johnmmil10

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +455
    @Bill Dilks I am about to be on the road, so I can’t post in detail. However, here is something to look into and you can post some pics! Renovations have taken place, but a building across the street seals the deal for me. Corner of Johnson and Valley in El Monte. https://goo.gl/maps/EQUvyKzhDAgWpkVK6

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Bill Dilks

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Wow....holy s***! How did you come up with this one? In El Monte? A public building, yes. El Monte? Amazing. And Garry....you sure as heck nailed it too.

Congrats!!!! Address comes up as 3501 Johnson Ave, El Monte, CA, the corner of Johnson and Valley Blvd. Glass was replaced by panels, but other than that, bingo! And the reflected building in the scene matches up. The buildings down the street on the right are correct also.

upload_2020-1-1_19-6-2.png

Note the building under the right-most of the three palm trees...that building is the same, the squarish window in what may be the attic, and angled roof to its right.

upload_2020-1-1_18-0-40.png

On google maps, note the LA Superior Court building across Valley Rd. So familiar.

upload_2020-1-1_18-11-29.png

In the previous post pic I mention the hand rail on the other side of JR. It's the hand rail to the left of the LA Superior Court building, pictured below.

upload_2020-1-1_19-25-6.png

I better back this page up now. I copy the entire page, then paste it into a word doc. It includes the pics. Simple, but I just don't want to take a chance and lose all that's been found. I have all 39 thread pages saved.

Again, in case we lose touch and this site disappears, I created a simple SOAPCHAT facebook page to reconnect.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  20. garry

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm always amazed at what you guys come up with on here.:hat:

• Like Like x 1