Looking For Fan Fiction Written Specifically As An Alternative To TNT Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by Kenny Coyote, May 8, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Although I'm not new to discussing Dallas on Soapchat, I'm not very familiar with "Dallas Writer's Room." Once I wrote a few episodes here, but that was a long time ago and I've only recently gotten interested in the idea of Dallas fan fiction again. Not necessarily for writing it, but at least for reading some of it. What I'd be most interested in reading is fan fiction where writers present their vision for how they would have continued Dallas if they'd been in charge of the TNT Dallas continuation.

Is there a specific section for fan fiction specifically with that goal in mind - people presenting their own way of continuing Dallas as opposed to the way Cynthia Cidre tried to do it?

If there is no specific section for that particular type of Dallas fan fiction, would you suggest some fan fiction of that particular type? I'm going to look for it on my own but suggestions would be especially helpful in cases where the title of the fan fiction doesn't necessarily indicate that it's an alternative Dallas continuation to what TNT gave us.

In reading some of the TNT Dallas section of Soapchat it's given me the idea that there are probably some fan fiction writers here who would have loved to have had the job of showrunner and/or writer for TNT Dallas. If some of them went as far as to create their own version of a Dallas continuation which they felt would have been more accurately in keeping with the events and characters of the original as well as being closer to the original in both spirit and style, I'd be very interested in reading it!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,743
    Medals:
    Let's see. There was a fanfic many years ago titled "Return to Southfork" that was posted online but not here that continued on after the reunion movies.

Most stories on here that deals with TNT's timeline are written by Steve but they in generally accept the TNT show and continues on from it.

I have written one Dallas fanfic that picks up in 1995 and posted here where everything that happened on the original Dallas is canon but it is an alternative universe after that. Several fans who have read it has told me they prefer it to Dallas TNT. So feel free to read it if you like and if you do let me know what you think about it. ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Karin, I think I found it. Is the title "Dallas in the 90s"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,743
    Medals:
    Yes that's the only Dallas fanfic I have written. :)

5. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +672
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Medals:
    I’d be happy to take a look at something that ignores Dallas TNT - though usually I write as if everything were cannon, the Dream Season, the movies, the TNT series. But I’d be willing to try something if you’re interested.

I usually do this because JR and SE and JRIII were so go in my opinion even in CC’s world (there were other good moments and other good actors but those 3 nailed it to me). I also do because I know ignoring stuff we see (Dream Season and Movies) really cheeses me off - lol. But I did toy with an idea once that continued as so alternative to the Dream Season.

So I’ll set something up. You let me know. It’ll be a continuation now as if TNT didn’t happen. My apologies to Josh Henderson. I’ll title it Dallas 2021. Please let me know what you think.

7. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,743
    Medals:
    You know just because you disregard the plots of the Dallas TNT show doesn't mean that you have to disregard the casting. ;)
    I mean my story takes place in 1995 and okay I use Omri Katz image to illustrate John Ross at that time when I make collages for each episode. However since I've watched Dallas TNT I can't help to picture John Ross as a young Josh Henderson when I write and it has actually influenced the way I write the character. He has gotten another vibe than he did in the first draft.

8. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Medals:
    I totally agree and usually use him as you know, but for me those are continuations so I think if I’m going to just start over I’ll try some new people. I’d be interested to see what you think of my casting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Medals:
    So this is an idea of mine: please let me know if this is what you’re looking for:

http://www.soapchat.net/threads/dallas-2021.6932/#post-162922

In retrospect I realized that it’s not a replacement for Dallas TNT in 2012 but a continuation from this point on, putting John Ross into his early 40’s where in TNT he was in his early 30’s. Please let me know what you’re looking for and I’ll see what I can do.

10. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Medals:
    Here’s an idea oh how I would have done it in 2012:

Dallas 2012: My Version

Setting: Southfork original layout with updated and original decorating. Bobby living at Southfork with JR. Family moves in bit by bit. Downtown Dallas.

John Ross Ewing III - rigger working for Trident turned rancher, running his “empire” from Southfork, inherits 42% of JRE Industries (which owns the field services company Ewing Oil, Wentworth Tool and Die, Branch Water Security, a large investment in Trident, etc.), he finds out he owns Southfork per Miss Ellie’s will, controlled in a trust by Bobby (Bobby gave it back to her upon her request), he is given tasks to carry out by JR, most like Jock

Eleanor “Ellie” Elizabeth Ewing - JR and Cally’s daughter (toyed with the idea she’s Sue Ellen’s daughter she kept hidden, her reason for working with Lockwood and getting out of Dallas), jet setter, like John Ross not directly involved in the company, inherits 42% of JRE Industries, spoiled, arrogant, powerful, most like JR

Lucas Wade Ewing - recent Harvard grad school graduate in accounting, economics and law, works for JRE Industries as a Team Director of Investments under JR’s wing, estranged from his father who wants him to work the ranch (calls him Bobby and considers Ray his father and Margret his sister), most like Bobby and Gary

Amy Lee Anderson Ewing - socialite, Punk and Mavis Anderson and Jordan and Judith Lee’s granddaughter, John Ross’s wife, works for the Ewing Farlow Family Foundation, mother to baby Jack Ewing, most like Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen

Rachel Sue Ellen Ewing - John Ross’s 17 year old daughter (when he was 17 from an affair with an older woman), strong willed, spoiled, admires her Aunt Ellie, beginning her gap year, most like Lucy

Judith Ann Wendell Lee - Amy’s grandmother, Jordan Lee’s widow, Jeremy Wendell’s sister, she hates the Ewing’s, controls several family trusts, which includes a large investment in Trident at odds with the Ewing’s, most like Rebecca and Katherine

J. (Jeremy) Dorian Wendell III, Jeremy’s son, Judith’s nephew, Amy’s cousin (once removed), Chairman and CEO of Trident (successor to West Star), Lucas’s much older lover, most like Pam and Cliff

Mateo “Matty” Samuel Culver - Sam’s grandson, John Ross’s best friend, former Navy Seal / CIA, part time help working the ranch, John Ross’s go to man, his family owns 16% of JRE Industries, on the board of Trident (Lucas as John Ross’s go to legal help, Matty is his illegal go to help), most like Ray

Luis Félix María Calleja del Rey - Sam’s nephew (sister’s son), college intern following his undergrad in geology from U of T Austin, with JRE Industries, most like Mikey and Mitch

with:

Sue Ellen Ewing - President of the Ewing Farlow Family Foundation (assume sold Ewing Oil to JR) which thanks to Clayton Farlow is the largest shareholder in Trident and she personally a large shareholder in Trident.

Robert “Bobby” James Ewing - runs the Southfork and Wade ranches (assume sold Ewing Oil to JR) and large shareholder in Trident

also:

John Ross “JR” Ewing - faked his death in 2010 to avoid estate taxes and to decide when he dies, as he’s terminally ill, manipulating his family behind the scenes into the right marriages and control of an “empire,” as well as to right some wrongs, mentions his other children and grandchildren in his will

note:

Christopher lives in Switzerland near Pam, Cliff and Katherine (in a mental hospital), not sure if I’d use or refer to Pamela Rebecca (though I liked the idea in the TNT version of her with John Ross)

Ray lives in Virginia near Margret (a lobbyist) and near Donna (former Secretary of energy and current Senator) on a horse farm

Lucy lives in California near her parents

Is this something like what you’re looking for?

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  11. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Medals:
  12. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Medals:
    Ok finished Season 1 my way:

http://www.soapchat.net/threads/my-dallas-tnt.6961/

A short 10 episode idea that would have brought Dallas back to TV. of course it might need more details to get to 10 episodes but this is the bulk of what I’ve had done. Hope you like it. Please let me know. I’m always interested in a discussion.