1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lotus Point / Oregon

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by micmic, Oct 13, 2017.

1. micmic

micmic Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +351
    I'm going to try & drive through Salishan Spa in Oregon where the exteriors for Lotus Point were filmed.
    Wondering if anyone knows which locations there were actually used..? (Not sure which lotus point scenes were really in Oregon and which were elsewhere)

Many thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,518
    The editors of the show certainly did not make it easy! They would cobble together sequences of scenes shot in multiple places that made it look like the characters were just taking a walk on the property, when in fact they might have been filmed days and miles apart. The only common thread would be them wearing the same clothing! It was a cool trick to maintain that "mythical" quality of Lotus Point (that is, not being one identifiable place), but it had to be a pain for the editors to match up outfits, lighting, makeup/hair, and all the other aspects just to make it look seamless.

You may also keep in mind that some of the features we saw on TV might not be there any more. Stuff happens over decades. I mean, didn't they tear down the original "Knots Landing Motors" building? It's sort of shocking to see how the cul-de-sac houses look today compared to how they looked in the 1980s. The resort may have similarly changed hands, with the new owners having a different "vision" for the resort. Hopefully they didn't do anything that insane, since the place was so photogenic in its days doubling as LP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. micmic

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +351
    Yes I know what you mean. I had to wait for a friend at the hotel where Karen was shot. Parking lot looked somewhat similar but interior changed.

Lotus point doesn't seem to have changed much. Still very green with brown cabins (some are white), golf course, trees etc.
    Didn't watch any scenes beforehand to notice which exteriors were used but got the gist.
    Definitely better places to bury a body than children's playground ;) !

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. micmic

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +351
    These were the main cabins (restaurants etc)

image.jpg

Children's playground ;)
    (I don't think these were the ones from the show, but tennis court might have been featured)

image.jpg image.jpg

Part of the golf court, I think a Karen / Eric scene was filmed around there, after his arsenic poisoning..?

Other side (spa side) has more cabins, another golf court, nature trail and a beach access

image.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Knotsfan61618

Knotsfan61618 Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That's really cool! I didn't know it was in Oregon!

6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,518
    I was led to believe they only went to that area during the summer of 1984 out of necessity, since the Summer Olympics were being held in LA and the whole traffic system was chaos. The location work they completed would have all aired in season six (likely the first half of that season). The establishing shots and some of the other things we saw dropped into later episodes could have been used in perpetuity, of course. I don't recall hearing about their having returned to that location to do more shooting after the summer of 1984, but I suppose they might have since it was so beautiful and has that "fantasyland" quality.

7. micmic

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +351
    I recall a Charles Scott / Karen parking lot scene that I believe was filmed there, and also a Harold cabin scene.
    If so, those would have been later in the show.
    I only watched these episodes twice and the last time was like 4-5 years ago, so I can't be sure. But if you have sceeenshots I can have a look

8. micmic

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +351
    I honestly never thought I'd go there, but we were driving along the coastline so it was literally on the way. Otherwise I would have taken a look at some scenes before.

I was taking a glimpse to see where it is when I went to Oregon to see the eclipse but it was so far out there.