Dallas Character Lucy Ewing

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by stevew, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,771
    Yes but Jeremy Wendell was still too old for Lucy. But maybe his son could have married her...

2. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    True but I’m not thinking a loving or lasting marriage.

3. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,771
    I just don't see Lucy marrying someone she doesn't love. It's out of character for her to do so.

4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,602
    If anything, that's what would make it interesting. What would it take, what set of circumstances would have to align, for Lucy to do something so extreme? After all, people behave "out of character" all the time in real life, so why not in soap? All it needs is a juicy creative enough "what if ...?"

• Like Like x 4
  5. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    I agree they’d have to have done some work to get there but I think they could pull it off.

6. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Loosing her grandpa and her husband at the same time, inheriting nothing. Then watching her father leave with his inherited fortune and her uncle’s tear themseleves apart. A scary world on your own and if a man thinks he can use you it might get even scarier.

7. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,748
    Yea he also raped Sue Ellen.

8. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    This is what I'd do to make Lucy's character grow:

upload_2018-6-27_2-28-35.png

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Lucy as a villain... takes poison dwarf to another level.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    I certainly think Lucy started out with some potential. She was fooling around with Ray, but any continuing that romance was axed when Ray was revealed to be Jock's illegitimate son, which was done only to suffice actor Steve Kanaly.

Anything Lucy did post-Season 2 (per DVD count) seemed to be a mere after thought. As @Willie Oleson said, some TV characters just come off better in small doses, and Dallas did accomplish that with Lucy. She did offer some witticisms, but even those would have gotten old had she been given anything more substantial to do on a regular basis. She was the, on the face of it, the show's least seen of its regular characters, and she was even mentioned in the opening. She was just another Ewing really, and not a whole lot more.

Had she been involved in anything more serious than what she was, she wouldn't have been any better. Charlene Tilton isn't Emmy worthy by any means, so their choice was a wise one, I'm sure. And if she had been done anything more, all it would have done was fueled us to debate and question why they gave her so much to do when she obviously wasn't worthy of the attention.

Is a loose-loose situation for poor little Lucy, I'm afraid. We don't like it because she wasn't given enough to do. And we wouldn't have liked it had she been given more to do. The poor gal's hands are tied.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    I totally agree. On the top of my head, it's the only story-arc of Lucy's that I can pinpoint during the middle seasons. Well, post-Mitch, of course.

Lucy's romance with Mickey certainly had great potential. Tremendous even. She was the rich girl, and he was the average farm guy. He really loved her, and he didn't take any of her junk. He knocked her down to size, and she fell in love with him, too. As I recall, their story spanned the majority of Season 6, and I remember being completely upset that he was killed post-cliffhanger resolution. They should have kept him around another season, but it seems like the writers just never got Lucy's arcs right. Perhaps they didn't care enough to keep him around, especially when it wasn't too far off when Lucy was shipped off herself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Good point.
    But what was it? She was a spoilt sex kitten but there wasn't much to play with. Maybe we would have seen more of that if Pam hadn't showed up.
    Someone mentioned Jeremy Wendell, maybe it would have been interesting if she had been someone's "Lolita" bride. Just to upset the family.

I think there's something like an interaction-character, a character who only reacts to what's going on and to other characters, rather than being an active part of the story.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Yeah, it seems like we would have preferred her the other way, no matter which way she was originally. If she were less, we wanted more. If she were more, we would have wanted less. The poor gal just can't please some of us.
    It would have been an interesting arc to see Lucy get tangled up with an older man, but maybe not Jeremy Wendell. Maybe they could have brought in someone else somehow, and had him have the "hots" for Little Lucy. It could have worked. I would have liked to have seen it, if only to hear what J.R. would have to say about it. It certainly wouldn't have went over well with the majority of the family, and the results could have been endless... if only in dialogue form.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Yes, it would have been a great topic for all those kitchen and dinner table scenes. Sue Ellen finds it disgusting, Miss Ellie thinks Lucy needs help, Jock thinks she needs a proper spanking, Donna is feeling a bit uncomfortable, etc etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Yes, all of them would have had a different feeling about. Pamela, naturally, would have been cautiously supportive, and doing her best to follow her heart while also making sure she was stepping into the right thing. Bobby would have been similar to Pamela, and J.R., of course, would have this guy followed, researched, and possibly threatened to leave his niece alone.

16. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,771
    But you're forgetting that it's already been done. I mean in the very beginning Lucy was involved with Ray who did classify as an older man considering that he was about 30 and Lucy herself was just a teenager!

17. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    I was thinking of the Eugene Bullock/Carter McKay type, not the ranch stud.

18. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,771
    That would have just been gross! I mean it's bad enough that they implied that Kristin had slept with Jordan Lee! :no:

19. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,602
    Instead she chose to say, "Don’t touch me. I can’t stand you.”

Clayton's perception of events he wasn't witness to is neither here nor there.

Plenty of people who are raped don't tell the police, for a myriad of reasons. It's even possible for someone to be raped without realising they've been raped (Knots Landing illustrated this very effectively through Laura Avery in "The Lie") -- the victim thinks it must be their fault, that they caused it to happen, etc.

No-one onscreen ever said "euthanasia" in relation to what Ray did to Mickey. It doesn't mean the word doesn't apply.

What Holly actually said was, "Take your hands off me, JR. I don't want this," which sounds no more or less equivocal to me than "Don’t touch me. I can’t stand you.”

Rape and sexual abuse take many forms.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +583
    Sure, but she changed her mind when she thought about what JR was willing to do for Clayton in exchange. The story clearly was that she chose to have sex with JR because she wanted to help Clayton a lot more than she minded having sex with JR. If someone wants to say Laurel never consented to have sex with JR in exchange for JR helping Clayton stay out of prison, that she decided Clayton's freedom wasn't worth her consenting to have sex with JR, that's their interpretation of what was shown but it's certainly not my interpretation of it.

Clayton's perception of events was accurate, so I'd argue it was "there." Clayton didn't actually see them having sex but it didn't take a genius to figure out what happened.. Clayton knew Laurel willingly had sex with JR and he knew exactly why she did too. He wasn't dumb. He was mad at JR because it was a lousy thing to do to Laurel. Was he furious at JR like he would have been if JR had raped Laurel? No, he was certainly angry and justifiably so, but he understood what had happened. Laurel had sex with JR in exchange for JR making sure the real killer was caught and that Clayton stayed out of prison.