M. Michaels as Pam for a short-term arc...

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by TJames03, Jan 25, 2018.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +322
    IMG_20180124_203920_edit.png Okay, no one loves VP as Pam more than me, BUT......what if they had MM return as Pam for a short-term six-episode story arc? Look, VP was NEVER going to return, but anything would have been better than the "Pam in the shadows" sh#t. Imagine Pam returning (still scarred up) a bit mentally unhinged warning Bobby that she would always be watching him and that if he did wrong by Christopher, she would have no problem destroying him. Pam's anger could stem from the fact that, while away, she finally realized that Bobby would never sever ties with JR, no matter badly he interfered on their marriage. Pam now sees Bobby for the wimp he is. The arc could also provide an experiment in that if it wasn't popular, you'd never see Pam again and if it was MM could return for some more episodes......

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    I think Victoria's take on it probably was the best of the lot, she would only agree to come back for the final episode in 1991 if it was truly going to be the final episode. With the benefit of hindsight the producers must have had a fair idea when she left in 1987 that she didn't intend coming back. But at the same time I can understand them keeping the character alive.

Margaret Michaels was OK in her brief stint but at the end of the day Victoria was Pam, no-one else.

Swami

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +322
    I
    I know, but I meant as a short-term thing.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,128
    I actually preferred her as an imposter. In fact, I think I would have had them develop a reason to suspect that the "Pam" whom Cliff met in the first episode of S12 may actually have been Jeanne O'Brien, too, in the first stab to draw them in to the scam.

And I wouldn't have had JR responsible for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Just like real life we wish for closure but in the case of Pam and the benefit of hindsight (this includes TNT Dallas) I now would have preferred if Pam had been left alone. I much prefer the idea that Pam (with Katherine's assistance) fled Dallas and is living a solitary but fulfilling life in some European country, ideally in the beautiful countryside of France.

Pam's absence would have created more drama back at Dallas especially when the TNT version arrived. But the writers, instead of using Pam's absence to create an exceptional story arc, stumbled by using the character to cement their incompetence. When Bum informs Bobby, John Ross and Christopher that JR had been searching for Pam the hairs on my arm bristled. I thought - for a moment - things were about to get interesting. Here we had two of the biggest characters in Dallas history, JR and Pam, being spoken of in one scene.

It was at this moment TNT Dallas could possibly...with the emphasis on possibly...might have been saved by repositioning the focus back on the main event, the Ewing family. First of all they were still coming to terms with JR's death, but then good 'ole JR just happens to be looking for his arch nemesis, Pam. All kinds of emotions would come bubbling forth with both Bobby and Christopher, especially Christopher and for brief periods it showed.

That said.

If we're discussing the idea of Margaret Michaels resurrecting the character of Pam in Lorimar Dallas then no and here are my reasons. By the time Victoria left Dallas it was beginning to enjoy the slippery slide to television history. We (the viewer) had already been stung by the Miss Ellie switch, then there was Bobby spinning in the shower. I couldn't take it anymore and my love affair with Dallas began to diminish. Victoria leaving was the nail in the coffin for me, she WAS Pam, she WAS Dallas, more so than JR and Bobby...and that's saying a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    For me no

No matter how bad things were written for Pam it had to be Victoria play her or I could never take it seriously. Duffys chemistry with Michaels was only slightly better than his chemistry with Sheree Wilson.

Both awful.

I just choose to forget every ep after May 1987 now. Works for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    I've always been in favour of bringing Michaels back as Pam. Maybe it would have worked, maybe not. As @TJames03 says, it couldn't be worse than what we got.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Then allow me to raise this scenario. Since Larry's health was deteriorating during TNT Dallas should the producers have thought seriously about recasting the role of JR? Of course not. I understand Victoria wishing to leave however that doesn't give the producers permission to recast the character believing it's too important for the series.

Why is it okay for the character of Pam to be recast? The same argument could apply to Patrick. He decided to spread his wings and leave Dallas at the height of its popularity so if we're serious about recasting just to keep the character ticking the producers could have kept Donna Reed as Miss Ellie, let Patrick leave and hire another actor to fulfill his role of Bobby. Then when Victoria knocks on the Executive Producers door and says I've had enough they simply reply, "No worries. Someone get me the number for Barbara Miller Casting Director."

The show would have nose-dived quicker than Donald Trump's approval rating.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +322
    Lol! Well, I think that I am so desperate to have Pam in any form tell Bobby's ass off that I'm drawing at straws here!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,006
    I think the reason you want Pam to come back and the reason that I want her to come back (to reunite with Bobby and Chris) are completely different things so there's no way they can satisfy all fans with a Pam comeback.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Dallas TNT completely screwed up their Pam plot. It would have been better if they had left it alone, had VP come back as Pam (she actually seeemed interested when approached by Dallas fanzine about the question) or recast Pam and have her come back.

To recast a character like Tracey McKay that had no significance whatsoever for the show but not someone important like Pam made no sense IMHO. :confused:

Also I think that why most people are annoyed at the MM recasting of Pam is because it was only used for one episode instead of going all the way with it like with Emma Samms recast as Fallon on Dynasty.

So given the circumstances I think that either they should have been bold back in the late 1980s and recast MM as Pam and brought her into the show as a regular. Or it should have been proven that MM was just someone who looked like Pam but not actually Pam. Jordan Lee (or whoever it was that spotted her at that party in LA) was wrong about her identity. Pam the mystery still remained...

I could actually see her spending time somewhere in Europe too. Like France, Italy or Spain...

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    ...and may she Rest In Peace.

12. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +428
    I would have preferred closure for Pam and Bobby in 1991 even with Margaret Michaels. Katzman and Co. must have had a Pam and Bobby storyline plan when they were negotiating with Victoria, so once Victoria said no, it would have made much more sense to go ahead with their plan using Margaret instead of all of the editing that they must have done. Whatever the storyline was going to be, I'm sure it was far better than what we got in Connundrum.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +424
    That would have been so out of character for Pam to have some vendetta against Bobby because he didn't sever ties with his brother. I think the audience is smart enough to realize Pam was never going to sever ties with Cliff, no badly he interfered in her marriage. Whenever things got difficult Pam just ran away, like her mother did. She didn't even have the decency to support her own husband in the contest for Ewing Oil.

Bobby was too good to Pam. He supported her, he saved her life when she was on the roof of a building, he found the best medical help for her depression, then to placate her he gave her a baby he bought which he thought was JR's and gave it to her. He was going to take a baby he thought belonged to his brother and steal it so Pam could have it. That's sick. But that wasn't enough for Pam. A year later she told Bobby she was leaving him and taking the baby he found and bought. No discussion of who should have him, she just assumed she deserved the baby more than Bobby. He should have told her "You just got out of a sanitarium a year ago; if you think I'm letting take my son aay from me you're nuttier than that brother of yours."

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +322
    Oh you and I are seeing things WAY different! I see Bobby as a wimp and Pam as a woman who should have laid whoop-ass on him with vendetta after vendetta, never letting up. My Pam would have bordered on evil in a MM arc........

15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,128
    Way too silly.

16. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +424
    I see Bobby as a bully. He would think nothing of physically assaulting someone or threatening to just to get his way and usually his targets were older than him and smaller and less athletic specifically slower and weaker physically speaking.

I saw Bobby as a wimp times and courageous at other times. He dealt with the possibility he might be permanently blinded in a courageous way. he didn't cry about it and he didn't say to Jenna anything needy or clingy such as "Oh, I really need your help now more than ever. I can't get through this without you.."

Pam was more if a wimp than Bobby ever was. I listed her refusal to sever ties with Cliff for repeatedly trying to hurt her marriage was bad enough but she didn't even make him stop doing that to her. Also, every time he did that to her, she forgave him. She as also a wimp because every time things started getting a little difficult she left, she ran away just like Gary ran away whenever confronted with a challenge. Pam bailed for some reason and went to liv with LeeAnn - the former call girl. Pam came back but only after Bobby spent a lot of time and energy trying to convince her to return. Then she left because of the contest for Ewing Oil.. That was a time when Bobby needed her support badly but all Pam could think about was herself.. Sue Ellen stood by JR during he contest and supported him. Why couldn't Pam? Pam also shwed how weak she was when she almost went insane and ended up in a sanitarium just because she couldn't have a baby. She could adopt a baby but Pam was such a wimp she didn't have the self discipline to wait the required amount of time She wanted a baby and she insisted on having one immediately.. That was quite babyish of her! Then, just like her mother, she abandoned Christopher and why? Why did she run away yet again? She wasn't pretty anymore! What a superficial, ridiculous, wimpy reason!

17. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Well blame the writers for creating that mess, not Pam. Clearly Victoria had called it a day. In her mind the character was dead when she ploughed into the tanker. What came after that was entirely on the writers and producers shoulders. Did they intentionally place Pam in a mummified condition because the top brass were still in negotiations with Victoria between seasons? I don't know. It would appear (from my point of view) they were hedging their bets. With their fingers and toes crossed they must have thought she will change her mind. Well that didn't happen and the mummified Pam was what we were left with. The character left in permanent suspension until the great and all powerful Leonard Katzman decided to offer some form of closure only to alienate Dallas fans again by using Margaret Michaels. If that wasn't enough CC decides to resurrect the character in TNT Dallas for her own means to inflict more pain on us. If I was in Victoria's shoes I would have been having a great laugh from the sidelines.

Seriously? For such an important character how on earth did they stuff it up, not once, twice but three times. Okay. So I wasn't happy how the character was utilized in TNT Dallas but at least we received some closure. The fact she was desperately trying to return to Dallas gives me some comfort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,128
    So it's still all about everyone respecting and serving JR, the great white father. Sheesh...

19. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +424
    If Victoria had written her other storylines and that was the one time she didn't I would say you've got a point, but the writers receive the credit and the blame for every time Pam left Bobby. The same goes for for every time Bobby used his size, strength and youth to bully older, less physically strong, less athletic men. For the guy who was portrayed as "the good brother" it wasn't anything to be proud of. Sometimes he didn't have to beat them up; he just threatened to. With Bobby that physical bluff always seemed to surface whenever he couldn't out think the other man. The writers get credit for writing the "Who Shot J.R. mystery as well as the incredible build-up to it which created a hug number of suspects. The writers get the blame for J.R. getting trapped in a sanitarium with no contingency plan should things go wrong (which was out of character for JR).

I think you get the point. One can't give a character credit for the the storylines they liked and then blame the writers for the storylines they didn't like. The writers deserve both the credit and the blame for their work. In the case of Pam running away from Bobby yet again and even from Christopher because she didn't want them to see her all scarred up I agree that it was a bad storyline that the writers created but certainly there were other questionable things they did regarding both Bobby and Pam's moral choices.

When Bobby truly thought Christopher belonged to J.R. and J.R. didn't know, Bobby was perfectly willing to attempt to steal what he though was his brother's son. That's not just immoral; it's illegal. He couldn't even try to justify it by saying it was in the baby's interest because J.R.was incapable of loving a son or daughter. The fact is that one of JR.'s strongest qualities that he was an excellent father to John Ross. Not a single character on the show disputed that. Some may have said it was one of his very few good qualities, and there's some truth to that, but the truth is, he was a wonderful, loving father. How could stealing his child be even a little bit justifiable just because Pam was impatient and didn't have the discipline to wait to adopt just like other couples who can't have children have to wait?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  20. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +322
    Well, I don't do the "Romeo & Juliet" sh't, so we're coming from different perspectives. I'd have MM's Pam be no holds barred maniacal from not only psych probs from her accident, but seeing how she threw her life away for Bobby. She'd also be avenging Digger, Rebecca, and good friend Jamie's deaths. I'd have her sleep with JR, etc. This would NOT be VP's Pam.

One bit of dialog I would be loved to have heard:

Miss Ellie: "Paaaaaaam. Is that really you?"

Pam: "Shouldn't you be dead by now?"

• Funny Funny x 1