Mad About You returns in 2019

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Emelee, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,659
    Medals:
  2. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Why? "Roseanne" and "Will & Grace" were both innovative shows and ratings successes. "Mad About You" always struck me as one of those shows (like "Caroline In The City") that owed its success to being scheduled between more successful shows. NBC could have aired reruns of "Clutch Cargo" between "Friends" and "Seinfeld" and had a top 20 show.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,341
    Medals:
    Witness Suddenly Susan. :confused:

Yes, this announcement is "the answer to a question no one asked". But hey, if they got nothin' else to do....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,119
    I think the first three seasons of "Mad About You" were innovative themselves and paid homage to an earlier type of sitcom, updating it for the 90s, and worked like clockwork. Then suddenly in season 4 it's like the creativity was sucked out of the show and it became painful to watch. Given that the show already had 4 years when it had no raidon d' être, I do find the return bizarre.

5. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Medals:
    clutch cargo? i've never even heard of that show. i love mad about you and i am thrilled it's coming back. now do we need it? no we don't but than we didn't need will and grace after how long that was on the air way back when anyways.

6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,923
    Medals:
    It was a show that seemed to always be on and always be the same. It was sort of mildly comedic. I guess it did hark back to older sitcoms of a different era. I just found it a bit dull and even claustrophobic. I mean most sitcoms are filmed the same way and on those 3 wall sets with 2 cameras but shows like Will & Grace and even Friends, Cheers all felt more energetic and lively.

I can see why Will & Grace came back. It was a voice and a platform and it made baby steps in showing gay characters in a positive light. It was achieving something, and it can do a lot more now than it did then. Because of the ground work it lead the first time around. Also Will & Grace just felt a bit more frenetic and had more physical and slapstick comedy and was more political.

I don't really get this. But then they are literally bringing back everything! There are very few new ideas in Hollywood at the moment. Saying that I enjoy Helen Hunt as an actress.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,659
    Medals:
    It was much more popular than you remember it. It won several awards and was broadcasted in many countries. The reboot was written about in the news in Sweden today.

• Like Like x 1
  8. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Medals:
    i remember all that, honestly i am glad some of the shows they are bringing back like mad about you for example or twin peaks. for one thing it also helps that when some of them have bad endings they can ignore that and start anew

9. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,150
    Medals:
    I loved Mad About You, too. It was a big hit here in its own right. Not even on the same network as Friends.