1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAGA Thugs Attack 'Empire' Star

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,450
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    The current Internet cry: "No Jussie, No Peace!"

3. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,450
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,450
  5. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,941
    On that note... Per TMZ:

Jussie Smollett's "Empire" screen time is getting slashed in the wake of a growing sentiment that he staged the so-called "attack."

Production sources tell TMZ ... Jussie was supposed to have 9 scenes and a big musical number in the second to the last episode -- which is being shot now -- but, 5 of his scenes have been cut, and his musical number has been 86'd.

As for the remaining 4 scenes ... we're told he's no longer the focus. The scene features an ensemble, meaning he's flanked by a number of cast members.

With his duties pared down, Jussie will be spending way less time on set. Instead of working every day this week, we're told Jussie's working Friday and possibly Thursday, and he won't be rehearsing.

Less work for Jussie means more work for writers, who are busy making edits. In the past 24 hours, we're told the script has undergone multiple revisions.

We broke the story ... Jussie's case is heading to a Grand Jury as early as Tuesday. Our law enforcement sources say the focus is presenting evidence that could lead to a felony indictment against Jussie for allegedly filing a false police report.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/19/jussie-smollett-empire-role-slashed-alleged-attack/

I assume when they're done gloating, the Trump scum will start whining about him getting to film any scenes this week at all (as opposed the Roseanne debacle). They won't be able to help themselves leave their favorite sport a.k.a. victim-playing to Smollett.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,718
    I mean, they can't just not let him film any scenes as his abscence would be too noticeable - it's not as this story broke when they had wrapped up filming and they could do a time jump between the season finale and season premiere and killing him off screen a la Roseanne.

I'd say it's fairly likely that he's being written off unless this takes yet another turn, but that's looking increasingly unlikely. Apparently the two guys used his credit card to buy said noose and the police apparently found a magazine with cut out letters that matches the death threat letter he recieved a week before the attack; there's also a new witness that claims to have seen the guys talking on the street from her apartment window but heard/saw nothing of the supposed attack.

I'm surprised mostly because he never really struck me as someone who'd do a thing like this. If he was a Kartrashian type I'd not be surprised but he's shown no indication to be one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,161
    Let me guess: they found it in the fireplace?

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,718

Looking at how shoddy this cover up seems to have been it wouldn't surprise me.

These people really need to watch their own shows if they're going to stage these things.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    EMPIRE should have Jamal found frozen and bruised and choked to death in an alley (thus allowing Smollett to exit the show immediately) and after weeks of assuming he was a victim of a homophobic, racist hate crime, video emerges that he actually killed himself in a manner designed to frame others a la Jill in KNOTS LANDING circa 1989.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Jussie Smollett was convicted of providing false information to law enforcement in 2007

The actor suspected of faking a hate crime against himself has a criminal record — for providing false information to authorities.

NBC News reported Tuesday that “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett pleaded no contest to several charges in 2007 in Los Angeles, one of which was providing false information to authorities.

Citing a Los Angeles City Attorney spokesman, NBC reported that Mr. Smollett was sentenced to two years probation in the case, which also included a DUI count and a charge of driving without a license.

The city attorney’s office first confirmed the convictions to NBC News and later other media outlets confirmed the story.

Citing “multiple law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation,” NBC News reported that the Chicago Police Department has requested the details from their counterparts in Los Angeles.

Source: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/feb/19/jussie-smollett-was-convicted-providing-false-info/

11. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    Should we worry that Jussie may not be around much longer -- possibly a suicide or suicide attempt designed to make him look like The Victim?

12. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    I have no idea what this is supposed to mean:

Testimony in Jussie Smollett case scrapped after "Hail Mary" phone call

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...il-mary-phone-call/ar-BBTQNmh?ocid=spartanntp

CBS News has learned that a last-minute phone call may have saved "Empire" star Jussie Smollett from potentially being indicted. Last month, the actor claimed he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack as he walked home in the middle of the night. Two brothers have now told Chicago police Smollett paid them to stage the assault.

A source close to the investigation tells CBS News the brothers were set to appear in front of a grand jury Tuesday. But CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds reports those plans were abruptly scrapped after a "Hail Mary" call from Smollett's defense team.

CBS News has learned that Nigerian brothers Ola and Abel Osundairo were waiting outside the grand jury chambers, just minutes from testifying, when prosecutors got the call from Smollett's lawyers.

It's unclear what the defense said, but the Cook County state's attorney decided to postpone the brothers' testimony, which would have been the first step toward indicting the 36-year-old actor for filing a false police report.

Smollett has repeatedly denied staging the attack.

"I'm p---ed off. How do you not believe that? It's the truth!" he said recently on "Good Morning America."

According to a source close to the investigation, after the brothers told police they conspired with Smollett, his lawyers told police he would not do a follow-up interview.

About a dozen search warrants have now been issued, including ones for Smollett's financial and phone records, and detectives are waiting for those records to come back.

The Osundairos told detectives they conspired with Smollett in the fake January 29 attack.

CBS Chicago reports the brothers now also claim Smollett was behind the threatening letter sent to him a week before the alleged assault.

On Tuesday, Smollett's brother and sister posted Instagram messages appearing to criticize media coverage of the case. "It will make the criminal look like he's the victim and make the victim look like he's the criminal," read a quote attributed to Malcolm X.

Two other siblings defended Smollett last week.

Jake Smollett said, "When one is affected, we are all affected. So it definitely was a time we came together. And we are a strong family."

Smollett has also denied involvement with the threatening letter.

On Tuesday, in response to reports his scenes in "Empire" were being cut, 20th Century Fox and Fox Entertainment said they were standing behind the actor.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,941
    Additional reporting on the bit above:

Jussie Smollett Won't Be "Written Out" of 'Empire,' Fox Says

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jussie-smollett-wont-be-written-empire-fox-says-1187836

Jussie Smollett has received renewed support from the makers of Empire.

Fox, which airs the series, and Empire producer 20th Century Fox TV said they stand by the actor's on-set conduct. Smollett is at the center of questions about an attack he reported in the early hours of Jan. 29 in Chicago.

"Jussie Smollett continues to be a consummate professional on set and as we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show," the network and studio said in a statement Tuesday.

The statement comes after rumors that the 36-year-old Smollett, who plays Jamal Lyon on the Fox drama, was having his workload cut. A TMZ story stated that was set to appear in a few scenes with other members of the show's ensemble this week, but others featuring him more heavily had reportedly been cut from the schedule.

Fox, 20th and Smollett's reps all declined comment on whether his workload had been reduced. A source told The Hollywood Reporter that the plan for Smollett's character is in flux while the investigation continues.

The network and studio have been steadfastly behind Smollett during the investigation. When rumors that Smollett might be written out of Empire first surfaced, Fox and 20th called the idea "patently ridiculous. He remains a core player on this very successful series and we continue to stand behind him."

Smollett said two men assaulted him, used racial and homophobic slurs and put a rope around his neck early on Jan. 29. Chicago police investigating the case say the course of their probe has shifted and that two people they questioned were released without charges after "new evidence" came to light.

Reports that Smollett and the two men questioned by police may have staged the attack surfaced soon after, supposedly because he was being written off of Empire. Through his lawyers, the actor vehemently denied the reports: "He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack," attorneys Todd S. Pugh and Victor P. Henderson said in a statement. "Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying."

Smollett's lawyers said Monday they are "keep[ing] an active dialogue going with Chicago police" but have not commented further since then. The two men questioned by police, brothers Ola and Abel Osundairo, told CBS2 in Chicago they "are not racist. We are not homophobic and we are not anti-Trump. We were born and raised in Chicago and are American citizens."

Smollett himself has also countered doubts about the story of the attack, telling Good Morning America on Feb. 13 that he's "pissed off" about the speculation.

"At first it was the thing of like, listen, if I tell the truth then that's because it's the truth," he said. "Then it became a thing of, like, how can you doubt that? How can you not believe that? It's the truth."

Empire is scheduled to return to Fox on March 13 for the second half of its fifth season

14. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    They're just posing as supporters. Once he'd indicted, they'll toss him overboard immediately -- and they should.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,290
    Maybe it's with the benefit of hindsight, but having looked at his interview just recently after all the recent developments I must say he doesn't seem genuine at all to me in it. He's saying stuff but I don't see much emotion behind it and it just doesn't ring true.

So, what do we think he was hoping to gain from this? Was it a narcissistic bid to be a kind of modern day black, gay, Jesus Christ superstar martyr? Who would be the voice of change for a new generation, and also see his career skyrocket?? It's a pretty huge gamble, and also pretty dumb to think he could get away with it in this day and age.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,290
    Btw, is anyone still watching Empire? Is it any good these days? I think I quit early season 3.

17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,735
    I think I quit at the very beginning of season 2 because it was a silly meandering mess.

Also Smollett just seems kind of unhinged from what I can tell. Like maybe was he drunk and did it for a little attention and then it just got out of hand? It seems like the kind of thing a not very bright person does. It's not that cunning or well thought out to be from the mind of an egomaniac with a Jesus complex.

18. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    I wonder if the "hail Mary!" that stopped the Nigerians (from Chicago) testimony is because Jussie is going to make a plea deal in hopes that some of the uglier details are kept out of the public arena...

19. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    I still watch it, like I still watch nuDYNASTY -- and kept watching nuDALLAS, and even oldDYNASTY -- in hopes it would get better.

Only oldDYNASTY did, thanks to Pontius Paulsen.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,735
    I mean, even when oldDYNASTY was utter crap it just had that cast and some sometimes pretty great acting upgrading the utterly diabolical writing. These new shows, have the diabolical writing and also mostly diabolical casts. Actually the new shows just seem to fast forward the soap opera decline trajectory. I mean it goes pretty well in the first season then all of a sudden in season 2 you find yourself wondering if you are watching Models Inc or the dregs of Melrose Place season 6 or something.
    But I wont go into it all or my brain will explode.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1