1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

MAGA Thugs Attack 'Empire' Star

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,105
    Medals:
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    Medals:
    Doubt it he was drunk, even if he tries to blame addiction or mental "issues" (I expect rehab in 1, 2, 3...)

He allegedly orchestrated the letter. Allegedly approached the two brothers. Had them buy ski-masks, MAGA hats, nose etc. Arranged a place and time to meet.

I just think he's very bright, like a lot of actors, to be able to stage this hoax even remotely well or understood that sending that threatening letter would put it on federal level. He should've taken some notes from Queen Jill...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    That's when I started enjoying it again after being disappointed by the sophomore year. Other than Demi Moore's dreadful "Misery" storyline, I've mostly loved the past 3 seasons of EMPIRE. I'm glad it's still FOX's #1 rated show.

I never really cared for Jamal, so I don't really give a flying fig if he gets killed off. As long as they keep that sexy Andre on the show. I also love the new bastard son. He should take Jamal's place in the regular cast.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,105
    Medals:
    He's been arrested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47319044

US actor Jussie Smollett has been arrested in Chicago after being charged with filing a false police report.

The Empire star had said he was subjected to a homophobic and racist physical attack by two men in January.

Police suspect the 36-year-old actor paid two Nigerian brothers to stage the attack. They are both co-operating with the investigation, US media report.

His lawyers have not yet commented. On Wednesday, they said they would "mount an aggressive defence".

What do police say?

Suspicion over the actor's claim started to grow after police said they could not find any video footage of the alleged incident from surveillance cameras. There were also no witnesses.

But investigators managed to track two men who appeared on video footage not far from where the actor said he had been attacked.

The men - Ola and Abel Osundairo - had left the US following the alleged attack and were held for nearly 48 hours after they returned last week.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    Medals:
    Alternatively, they could just have Jamal return to London to work on his record label that he supposedly did during the two year time jump only to be never mentioned again aka the Amanda #2 treatment.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    I like that. EMPIRE is the hip-hop DYNASTY after all. And in case they want to retain the character, how about the Amanda #1 treatment? Cellini him! Recast the role with an actor who bares passing resemblance (preferably with a British accent they can always say he developed across the pond) without bothering to explain how his face changed.

And then in a couple of seasons when Smollett comes out of jail having served half his sentence and taken hundreds of hours of community service, rehab, mental counseling, etc. he makes a glorious return begging the American public on "Good Morning America" to forgive him & EMPIRE producers give him a second chance by Al Corley-ing Jamal.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,180
    Medals:
    Chicago Police: Jussie Smollett Staged Assault For Better Salary, Career Advancement

[​IMG]

Smollett arrested for allegedly making up hate-crime attack

Empire actor Jussie Smollett staged the Jan. 29 assault hoax because he was “dissatisfied with his salary” and to promote his career, according to Chicago Supt. Eddie Johnson.

That startling assertion came during this morning’s Chicago Police press conference on the Smullett’s arrest.

The Empire actor, Johnson said, “took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career.” Johnson called the alleged hoax “shameful.”

Johnson, who is African American, said he was offended and angry by Smollett’s actions. In particular, Johnson said that the use of a noose “to further his own public profile” was a “slap in the face” to everyone in Chicago, a city that “embraced” Smollett.

Johnson said the scratches and bruises on Smollett’s face were “self-inflicted.”

This story is developing…

8. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    Smollett was paid $65,000 per episode for his co-starring role in the most recent season of “Empire,” a well-placed source told HuffPost. On average, there are 18 episodes of “Empire” per season.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/juss...e-report-empire_n_5c6eb643e4b0f40774ccc84d?qw

That's almost 1.2 million freaking dollars per year from EMPIRE alone! If he was not happy with that, wait till the genius sees his 2019 total income.

9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,180
    Medals:
  10. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    What a f-ing idiot!!!! I hope that all legit reports of homophobic and/or racist hate crimes in the future will not be diminished because of this idiot's plot.

We fight and fight against discrimination in this world, and along comes a few morons and add fuel to the racists, homophobic, sexist etc of the world so they can claim to be right. :mad::mad::mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Medals:
    So there are already people defending this guy, yet Roseanne got axed for one stupid tweet?!!

This man is a terrorist!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Medals:
    In the wake of #MeToo, a precedent was set where women, gays, and minorities are always considered truthful when accusing someone of abuse. Straight white guys, on the other hand, are liars by default. And if they're straight white guys in MAGA hats, then they deserve nothing less than the electric chair. However, the people outside of the SJW community have warned against throwing out due process and assuming the alleged victims are always telling the truth. As we've seen with Smollett, narcissists will play the victim for their own selfish reasons, thinking nobody will question the veracity of their claims. I'm glad he's been arrested because they need to make an example out of him. When people fake attacks, particularly if they're considered part of a "protected" group, it hurts the real victims who come forward. Same goes for people who accuse people of racism, sexism, and homophobia disingenuously.

In Smollett's case, we're lucky that he wasn't bright enough to realize casting two Nigerian brothers in the part of the racist MAGA guys might not be in his best interest. :D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    It says a lot about a person when the argument is put forward "I cannot live on 1.2 million a year." It proves to me how out of touch actors and celebrities can become...all for their 15 minutes of fame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,180
    Medals:
    I was just watching some video of Smollett when he was a kid, a very cute kid, and I kept thinking: he's a little Chocolate Cunanan!

Wonder if Jussie has a Taurus Rising; that would explain a few things.

Although being famous probably is expensive in itself.

Word is he went to the EMPIRE set today and said he "swears to God" that he's innocent. Apparently, not everybody appreciated his heartfelt sincerity.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    I've never seen Empire but I think this could have been a great storyline for the show.

Is Jussie's character the gay son? Maybe he could use the reverse argument of Steven C.1 - they made me gay and I couldn't deal with it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Medals:
    I read an article today that basically dismissed the hoaxes perpetrated by Tawana Brawley and Jussie Smollett because they live in areas of "racial animosity." It also went on to say that white people made similar false claims against black people in 70% of racial hoaxes between 1987 and 1996. And while that's equally abhorrent, I don't see it as a valid defense of what Brawley and Smollett did. The point of the article seemed to be that, because blacks have often been mistreated by whites, it's okay for black people to retaliate. Of course, all that does is keep the racial divide going. There are better ways to address injustice than staging a hoax. Although in Smollett's case, it sounds like it was done purely for greed and selfishness.

17. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    Behind-the-scenes drama surrounding Jussie Smollett definitely eclipses the storylines they have currently running on-screen. Forget the show, I want to watch the reality show about the Empire cast shooting the show amid this crisis.

Apparently, they are divided into two camps - one that continues to support Jussie and the other that is furious with him and wants him instantly gone. So far, he's being written out of the final 2 episodes of the season. It does make me wonder, which cast members are in which camp.

Meanwhile, The Hollywood Reporter contradicts the earlier HuffPost story and says he was actually making over $125,000 per episode this season ($2.3 million per year) and if he was dissatisfied with his income (which is almost triple now than what it was in season 1) his management never tried to negotiate a higher salary.

Which makes some now doubt that as a motive as his salary was already considered to be in the "upper echelons" on TV (unless he thought he could match Terence Howard & Taraji P. Henson's salaries which are in $225,000-$250,000 ballpark).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...st-2-empire-episodes-avoid-disruption-1188959

Here's a video of him being released from custody surrounded by bodyguards and reporters:

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    Medals:
    I don't think they should recast to be honest - they do have an avenue to introduce a Jamal-esque character via Lucious and Cookie's management company; they could even have said character living in the Lyon mansion.

Hell, someone suggested to Mario's character should just be upgraded into the Jamal position. I honestly don't think the show will survive beyond the seventh season, so it seems a bit of a waste of time to recast.

19. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +492
    I understand your point but I think it's important to note that anyone who uses this as an example to support the idea that reported hate crimes should be diminished, or not believed, probably didn't care much for minorities in the first place and most likely never will.