Man gets caught harrassing women - woman gets sacrified (The Swedish Academy scandal)

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Emelee, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    This is such a mess that it would be a storyline from a soap opera. The Swedish Academy, formed in the 18th century, and the group that is responsible for choosing each year's Nobel Prize in Literature, is in deep crisis these days.

It all started when #metoo hit the fan. One of the 18 members, Jean-Claude Arnault, had his closet of skeletons storming out. He's been harrassing women sexually for many years. His BFFs in the Academy has held his back for just as long. He's also married to another member in the Academy.

Recently, the Academy voted if they should exclude his wife as well, as she's suspected of giving state money to her own company, abusing her power. This was when things turned really ugly! The BFFs of Arnault formed a pact and voted for keeping her on. Only 4 people voted to kick her out. 3 of them (Peter Englund, Klas Östergren and Kjell Espmark) announced that they would be leaving their chairs in the Academy straight away after the vote. They were very upset with the result, and how the pact don't respect that the Academy really should stand for.

The secretary of the Academy, Sara Danius, was the 4th member to vote against the pact. When the other 3 left, she was alone. One of the BFFs to the sexual harrassing a-hole, Horace Engdahl, told the press that Sara Danius was the worst leader the Academy has ever had. (He obviously forgot that during his 10 years of leading the Academy, his BFF was highly active in his harrassing and power abusing ways). His intent was obviously to discredit Sara Danius and get rid of her.

So this week, the Academy met up again, and after that meeting, Sara Danius annouced that she too would be leaving. She had no other choice = she was forced out by the others.

So in short - one man abuses his power and harrasses women -- and the result is that an innocent woman is forced out by the Academy, even though she has done a good job.

A new opinion poll shows that after this week's scandal, only 6% of the Swedish people have confidence in the Swedish Academy. On top of that, only 11 of 18 members are left now. 7 chairs are empty. To vote in a new member, the Academy needs at least 12 members present. How they will solve that, I have no idea.

Many people in Sweden are backing Sara Danius on social media now under the hashtag #knytblus (meaning tied blouse, something Danius is often wearing)

[​IMG]
    Sara Danius - former leader of the Swedish Academy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    That's not what happened though.

There's been a huge power struggle within the Academy. Two women happened to be caught up with it. One was married to a creep and one favours identity politics. Who will win? Neither. Well, the one who is married to the creep technically, I guess. But there's a lot more to this mess.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    Sara Danius had so many people in the academy against her - even though she was probably the most innocent person of the bunch. If anyone should be forced out, it's Horace Engdahl. He has abused his power long enough. Yet, he remains there. Keep in mind that this is the same Horace Engdahl who publically stated that Jean-Claude Arnault is innocent back in 1997. He has gone even further, stating in 2016 that Arnault is a gentleman and role model for young men when it comes to lifestyle. "He lives the good life, he is almost alone doing that, the only one with sense to do that, he should re-make Forum to a school in style for young man: don't become hipsters, become gentlemen!" (Horace Engdahl, 2016).

Since the entire Swedish Academy knew of the accusations against Arnault, and have witnessed his bullying and master suppression techniques, there is no way that Horace Engdahl didn't know. Yet, he couldn't praise his friend enough. He has been the strongest voice when it comes to defending him. Horace was the Academy's leader for 10 years and did absolutely nothing. But he has the audacity now to critizise Sara Danius for being a bad leader.

Horace can't deny knowing fully well what his friend was up to, cause Horace's ex-wife Ebba Witt-Brattström knew. She's even revealed that she, among others, were told beforehand who would receive the Nobel Prize in literature - from Horace. That's forbidden.

But that is just part 1 of the scandal. The second part includes Katarina Frostensson. She and husband Jean-Claude Arnault owns Forum, and they used their seats in the Academy to make profits for Forum. With help from their Academy buddies. That is corruption.

Katarina Frostensson is guilty of corruption. She should be been excluded from the Academy. But guess what? Horace and his allies saved her --- causing Klas Östergren, Kjell Espmark and Peter Englund to leave the Academy. Sara Danius also voted to excluse Katarina -- so of course she had to go!

Those who voted to exclude the people guilty of sexual harrassment and corruption were in minority, they were outraged because they were in minority in this issue and left.

Sara Danius had intensions to stay - but it was made impossible. She had to sacrifice herself. Not because she was guilty of anything, but because she took a stand against those who really should be kicked out.

4. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Oh, boohoo. She's not Joan of Arc.

Besides there's still a lot going on behind the scenes that I don't think you're aware of. Sara is not Joan of Arc.

5. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    If you know something, spit it out. Cause from what we know so far, Sara Danius is a victim of power abuse. Why do you think so hundreds and hundreds are protesting? Why people with so much insight are backing her? Why people in the literary world are in uproar for how the Academy is handling this scandal?

6. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Och du tänker försvara henne med en knytblus.

Passande.

7. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Also, I'm not saying that they shouldn't be in an uproar, but it's all pathetic. They all knew.

Now is the pretense and LALALALALALA. Fyck are you kidding me?

8. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    Vem fan har sagt det? Jag nämner knytblus för att det är den som ANDRA har enats om att backa henne med. Klädesplagget är hennes signumplagg så det är knappast förvånande att folk valde den som hashtag.

9. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    And if you think that everyone has the power to do anything about something that the group has accepted for years and years and years, then think again. Power abuse seems to be in the walls over there. Either you play the game, or you're going to be bullied out of there. We can clealy see what members accepted those rules, and see who have left. It's not like anyone wants to leave a highly respected & prestigeous position after being elected unless you feel you can't accept what happens within those walls.

10. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Fast det finns mer bakom det hela. En hel jävla rivaralitet. Det är inte snyggt, men har svårt att tro att folk vill stå bakom henne.

Plus, nu bränner folk böcker?

11. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    SHE'S NOT A VICTIM. Give it up!

Since I have to wait 25 seconds before posting this - enjoy this message: