Manspreading

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Emelee, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,248
    I guess all have heard the debate on manspreading, especially in subway trains. Men spreading out their legs so much that they're taking up two seats.

[​IMG]

I'm ok with manspreading if it's for comfort reasons -- and you're not taking up any space from others!

However, it's just another thing that men do that creates more space for them - and less space for women.

Here are some examples of power-stealing spreads:

1. The most common one is that men usually take up more space on the TV screen than women, usually by sitting like a sack of potatoes with arms sticking out to the sides more than needed.
    Fine if the man is bigger in size, but keep your arms to your body. In this example, they are in the same frame even though it may not look it because of the background. But they're in the same studio, in the same frame. The guy is obviously spreading out more than needed, using his arm to take up space.

[​IMG]

2. Debates is another common case where men take up more physical space. Often with the use of arms and hands. Like in this case, where the man is pretty much hushing the woman next to him by laying his hand on her table, and thereby taking the word.

[​IMG]

3. An example from an escalator. In this case of manspreading, the woman in the picture is the star. She's the leader of a political party that may as well win the next election, making her the next Prime Minister. The man in the picture is pretty much just an assistant. Yet he's taking up space like he's the star.

[​IMG]

4. If you can't shut them up with subtle hints, just cover their mouths. He's a beloved artist, very likable. But here he completely lost his head. He apologized. Still it puts the spotlight on the problem.

[​IMG]

Small gestures to steal power. Unfortunately, it's most often men doing it to women.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,470
    I wasn't familiar with the term "manspreading" before. So the pictures in this thread were quite disappointing.

Territorial behaviour irks me. It always stems from someone's insecurities, but it's a pain that by the very nature of it their behaviour pushes others' buttons.

Yes. Or a perception of power, anyway.

While some men certainly conduct themselves that way with women, I'm doubtful that women experience it more frequently than other men.

A whole lot of posturing from men is aimed at other men. I experience it fairly regularly. Or at least I'm aware of it happening around me. It's that primitive stag thing. Sometimes it's done in a presumably vain attempt to impress women. Sometimes to save face in front of their male friends. Sometimes it's done just to try to feel better about themselves (the battle of low self esteem and enlarged ego).

But there are all kinds of ways that people try to take up space in addition to posture. I can think of several alpha male types I know (and a number of alpha women, actually) where it's not just about how much physical space they take up, but it extends to assaulting other senses like sound (noisily chewing gum; loudly clearing their throats; or literally grunting; making sounds of agreement/approval/disagreement/disapproval while someone else is speaking) or smell (wearing an obscene amount of fragrance - gag).

Oh - escalators are the pits for territorial behaviour. The people who stand perfectly still either two abreast or with their arms stretched out either side so you can't get by. It's an attempt to control think, I suspect.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    It's not only their legs.

Men spread in general.

They don't bridge the gap in queues. It drives me insane.

This is the start of the queue (this dot) * there is no one else................................ then a mile and half long gap................. then the man (marked by this dot) *.

MOVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,868
    I added an extra word (in capitals so you spot it) in these quotes and then I got bored.

I can't say I've ever noticed this and while I don't leave gaps, I like enough space between me and 'whoever' because I don't like to feel like someone is breathing down my neck.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,734
    In South Florida you don't want someone breathing down your neck in a line because it usually means they're picking your pocket.

If a woman were to sit spreading their legs that way, it would be an entirely different signal, if you catch my drift. As it stands, the man who sits like that one in the original photo is simply embarrassing himself with poor comportment. I'm not automatically making assumptions about power differentials and alpha behavior in the man's posture, because I don't know this person. It's a bad habit, yes, but so is slouching, fidgeting, and other behaviors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    I think it's because as part of my work I am used to seeing audiences and it drives me up the pipe when they don't move up a queue and everything slows down!

7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,734
    "Distracted" people in lines (those worshipping the Almighty Electronic Device) typically cause the delays in my experience, and the pushier types will call them out on it ("ExCUSE me, will you move forward?"), but I prefer the more passive-aggressive (but funnier) un-naturally loud throat-clearing. It also works for people who walk about three steps into the supermarket and decide at that moment they have to stop to fuss with their purse, their sale paper, put on or take off a coat, dial up the Almighty Electronic Device, etc. while people are backed up behind them, trying to get in. AHEM!! :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    I'm not so subtle lol I usually say 'sorry is there a reason for the 10 mile gap between you and the person in front?' *scratches head*

• Like Like x 1
  9. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,248
    OMG. You are 100% correct. It's absolutely SOME men.

I follow a tv-show here where 2 men (the most popular TV duo in Sweden) have talked about manspreading for a few evenings now. They dislike it and points it out when they see it. All pictures I posted in 1st post are from their show. (They're both feminists & liberal etc). They also often say just "men" in general about manspreading, even though they're men themselves who don't spread out.

10. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,248
    I've never been a man, but as a woman I've experienced men taking up space away from me. Both by making his physical space bigger and by just not inviting me in to speak.

Often when I open my mouth to say something at the same time as a man, I am silenced by that man who just raises his voice.

I've also noticed some male teachers (especially the middle-aged) replies differently to students' comments & replies. The girls can be met by a chuckle or unclear answers. That seldom happen when boys do the commenting. I've gotten the feeling that girls are treated as "cute for trying".

11. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    I never heard the word "Manspreading" but the men on subways and buses that spread their legs so much they take up 2 seats bothers me.

I would be real angry if someone covered my mouth with their hand when I'm talking.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    images.jpeg ....It's true :rolleyes: an' it happens every day :oops:

Unknown.jpeg