Margaret Thatcher Wanted South Africa To Be A Whites Only Country

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Angela Channing, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,243
    I hope the adulation of Thatcher by some people will stop now.

The former head of the Diplomatic Service, Sir Patrick Wright revealed a conversation took place over a lunch he was invited to with Ms Thatcher. “She opened the conversation by thrusting a newspaper cutting about Oliver Tambo [ANC president] in front of us, saying that it proved that we should not be talking to him… She continued to express her views about a return to pre-1910 South Africa, with a white mini-state partitioned from their neighbouring black states.”

When Sir Patrick questioned the desire and said it would be an extension of apartheid, he said "she barked: "Do you have no concern for our strategic interests?”

Sir Patrick also said that Ms Thatcher “loathed” Germans and wanted to “push” Vietnamese boat people into the sea.

Margaret Thatcher 'wanted a whites-only South Africa': Diaries of one of the Iron Lady's top diplomats also reveal she wanted to 'push' Vietnamese boat people into the sea and 'loathed' Germans

She really was a despicable, loathsome person.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    I used to travel to America with an old friend who in the space of one trip, did a fake-spit on an Irish flag in Dublin airport (she is staunchly Protestant), and also told a New York bus driver when asked (on one of those tours) 'Who was the best British Prime Minister?' - she answered Margaret Thatcher.

Needless to say we haven't travelled anywhere together in a long time.

3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,887
    I have never known exactly why (never bothered to read up on Ms Thatcher's political views), but I have always had a feeling that the Iron Lady was someone that I would not get along with.

I think it started when I watched Billy Elliot (the movie) and was told some tidbits about the politics of that era.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    Yea, and she really loved the Irish too.

Not to worry though she's in a much better place now. Warming her arse on Satan's lap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1