1. Ziggy really sang, screwed up eyes and screwed down hairdo

Like some cat from Japan,

He could lick 'em by smiling, he could leave 'em to hang

He came on so loaded man, well-hung and snow white tan

Mariah Carey's Horrific New Years Lipsync Fail. R.I.P Mariah's Voice

Discussion in 'Music' started by Alexis, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,114
    Medals:
    Yea... This is so awfully cringe worthy. I loved Mariah back in the day and still love her Greatest Hits album and her Christmas Album but she's had so many lip sync fails it's not even funny anymore. This one however is the worst. She doesn't even try to save it as the backing tack plays on and she just kills time for like 4 minutes awkwardly talking and getting the audience to sing for her. No lead vocal kicks in at all after about 1 minute into the video. Then you also hear that all the whistle notes are pre-recorded too. :oops:

It's a hot mess! And it's not even the first one. I feel bad for her, really.:rip:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,720
    Medals:
    Lame! She's a singer and they've built that huge stage for her to perform, all she has to do is sing. It looks like the audience couldn't care less, they just want to watch the sexy Mariah Carey.
    Don't feel bad for that woman, she thought it was "amazing".

• Like Like x 4
  3. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,114
    Medals:
    I really think she's headed for another breakdown. She's doing a reality show at the minute too. I'm sorry but when you get to the level that she rose to you do not do a reality show! Only nuts and desperados do that. A docu-film yes. Of course do that, but a reality show. Lord no!

I'm not totally opposed to lip syncing. Sometimes it's necessary to preserve a singers voice if they have a tour coming up or aren't feeling well enough to sing. Sometimes a venue doesn't have adequate equipment for good sound. Even really great singers do it occasionally. With Mariah though it really feels kind of fraudulent. She could have handled that so much better. For a singer with as much experience as she has she could have saved it somehow! She should have killed all the music and just sang something simple acapella and apologised for the shitty technical people.

I believe she was supposed to sing a teeny bit over a pre-recorded vocal but somebody seriously messed up and that lead vocal didn't appear.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,672
    Medals:
    Dreadful. Highly unprofessional, and she comes across as a spoiled brat, as we all know she is anyway. Surely it's better to sing not very well than not sing at all. She seemed more worried about her boobs and her hair than entertaining the crowd. And for God sake put some clothes on!! It's winter in New York. What is she thinking??

• Like Like x 5
  5. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,114
    Medals:
    She was ok there for a while but she's really back in that Nutjob stage again. Here she is being wheeled on stage as Mariah doesn't like to walk!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,720
    Medals:
    OK I think I have to defend her in this particular case because it can't be easy to walk and do your make-up at the same time.o_O
    Haven't really followed her career (music or private life) so I didn't know she had had a breakdown.

As for the reality show, I guess it pays good money (does she need it?) and maybe she uses it as a platform or one big commercial, just to keep her name in the spotlight.
    Or it could be pure vanity.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,723
    Medals:
    A singer must be able to sing live, or they have no business being a singer. It seldom sounds exactly like on albums when you sing live, however, some artists do sound alike live and on album. But the main thing is: SING LIVE! If you can't - find another career. In no other profession can you fake your way through so much as in the artist profession. Imagine a doctor knowing nothing about how to do the most simple examinations. One patient and you are busted.

Heck, even I could have sung that live. It would have sounded awful, but I could have done it. But Mariah...... no, heaven forbid she should actually sing!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Medals:
    She really must not be able to sing at all any more, otherwise why wouldn't she just launch into the song herself? Her mic was working. It seems like a few times she started to sing and then stopped herself. Is her voice totally wrecked now?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,114
    Medals:
    It really is. It has been for a very long time. The best vocal she did recently on an album would have probably been on We Belong Together which was a very long time ago. About 12 years ago! Her voice is just so dry now. And I know from seeing her on TV and in magazines that she doesn't take care of her voice. Mariah drinks, she parties, stays up late, talks all the time. She never rests her voice. But honestly her voice hasn't been the same since about 1999. She cant do any full pelt singing. It's almost always pre-recorded with her just doing tiny bits of ad-libbing over that. Or just straight out lip syncing. I stopped buying her albums after Rainbow because she sounded awful on most of that. The only other one I bought was The Emancipation of Mimi, because I thought from the lead single it was a return to the old Mariah. I was wrong, I hated most of the album. She sings in that whispery voice now all the time. Anyone can do that! It's not really singing. She apparently doesn't like to do sound checks now either. I don't know if that's because she's being a diva or she just assumes she wont have to because her vocals are all mimed. A sound check would have maybe ensured that hick up didn't happen on New Years Eve.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,114
    Medals:
    I don't know why? Morbid curiosity maybe, but I YouTube'd some of Mariah's 2000s stuff. I was expecting to find that I had been harsh in my judgements of her music then. I wasn't, it's mostly awful. The Glitter album is one hot stinking mess! Lover Boy sounds like a bad, very bad demo. And she whispers and shouts through the rest of it. Make It Through The Rain, would put you to sleep. Indefinitely.
    The only thing I kind of liked up until We Belong Together was her cover of Def Leppard's Bringing On The Heartache. It wasn't brilliant but at least it wasn't boring or that annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,114
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG]

THIS is what she is thinking!!​

• Like Like x 4
  13. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,844
    Medals:
    She is an over rated prima donna who needs to join the real world again

one of my friends always says "she needs a good slap" for her diva like behaviour

When i hear her xmas song in shops, i turn around and walk out! :scream:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,801
    I believe she copped the same criticism when she last toured Australia relying far too heavily on those backing tapes and her back up singers. I don't even feel sad for her anymore. In my opinion she is in that awkward stage of her career where she is trying to remain relevant - at any cost. I'm not even buying that prima donna nonsense only because she is not worthy of the title. The issue is they surround themselves with "yes" people.

Here is a thought. I'd challenge Mariah to walk out on stage with Adele. No bells and whistles, no backup tapes or singers, just the two of them with a guy on the piano. Let's see who can belt out a tune - LIVE! I know who would win.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I had a big scare when I saw her on "Empire" with her lips speaking and the rest of her face (and her body) completely still. Like one of those fake TV jokes with politicians giving speeches that are replaced by dialogues from telenovelas...They do this thing a lot in Spain. It´s cheap...:spinning:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,872
    What a bizarre video. But then who wouldn't go insane with fans flipping out pathetically like that at the mere sight of you?

She's not getting her steps. You should take 10,000 to 20,000 steps per day to keep in shape and live a long life.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,723
    Medals:
    :bah::floor:

If she had just sung like any other artist, it would never have been an issue. In my profession (and others), you know fully well that you can't ever trust technology to 100%. Sometimes it just does not work. No matter how many times you try ctrl + alt + delete or turn off, turn on. :2B:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,723
    Medals:
    Alexis! We've got a job for you!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,720
    Medals:
    Is it OK to dance the steps? How many steps are there in a song?
    upload_2017-1-3_0-53-14.png
    :think:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,723
    Medals:
    372 steps if it's upbeat. 106 steps if it's a ballad.

• Like Like x 1