1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mark Field Suspended As Minister After Grabbing Activist

Discussion in 'UK & Rest of World Politics' started by Sarah, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,327
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48718725

Mark Field has been suspended as a Foreign Office minister after grabbing a female Greenpeace activist at a black-tie City dinner.

The MP has apologised for confronting Janet Barker and marching her away as protesters interrupted a speech by Chancellor Philip Hammond.

But he said he had been "genuinely worried" she may have been armed.

Ms Barker told the BBC Mr Field should "reflect on what he did" and suggested he "go to anger management classes".

"He certainly manhandled me in a way in which was very disagreeable," she said, but added that she did not intend to complain to the police.

BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford said there were also "very serious questions to be asked" about security, as a "large number" of protesters had apparently managed to "walk through" to the event at London's Mansion House.

I would question where security were, but I admire anyone who takes a stand on behalf of the environment. The speakers are hysterical 'Will you please leave now?' ever so polite lol

2. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +791
    It's assault.

If you can't shoot a home-intruder and call it self-defence, then Mark Field's actions are indefensible, too.

3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,865
    His behavior was truly shocking. She posed no threat but he push her forcibly against a stone pillar before grabbing her firmly by the back of her neck and marched her towards the exit. I was also shocked that the bankers and Tories present just sat there and allowed him to behave in such a disgraceful way.

If I treated a woman so violently, I would have been arrested but in the UK, if you're white, middle class and male you can get away with most things.