Marvel's Defenders

Discussion in 'Comics Central' started by Ome, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    I still need to catch up with Luke Cage & Iron Fist. After seeing this trailer, I'm motivated enough to get on with the task.

[​IMG]

2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404

I finally finished both series and had lots of fun, both very different from the usual superhero stuff I've been watching.

Tonight will be the premiere of

[​IMG]

And I can't wait :jump2:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    The first episode was okay, but nothing great. I was expecting too much to see the Defenders altogether, it was more about their lives individually with a small continuation of their own stories.

The second one started to build a nice pace and we finally get them to meet if not all four of them, but two pairings.

The third episode really rocked up and now that they have all met, it really feels like it was worth the wait.

"You look like an asshole. "
    You look like an asshole. It's your scarf.jpg
    "It's your scarf"

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    I was frustrated for a minute that they weren't instantly together, but then I ended up being glad that they made me wait. The slow build to them coming together made it all the more exciting.

I like how they started off initially in pairs, and not the ones you would expect. I expected Luke and Jessica to pair up first since they already know each other. It was much more interesting and entertaining to have Luke and Danny's first encounter be a fight, and Jessica and Matt encounter each other first when he was assigned to be her attorney. I also appreciated the role that Claire and Danny's friend (I don't know her name yet) played in bringing together Luke and Danny. I love the role that Claire has played in each series that I've seen.

The combination of the banter and all the stunts made their first burst of team work very exciting. I can't wait to see where it goes now. I'm about to start episode four.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    Coleen

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    One thing I love about these Netflix Marvel shows is that they often end each episode with a fantastic cliffhanger. They're definitely designed for binge watching. Episode four ended with a great one: [mild episode 4 spoiler below]

The Defenders team up ready to face Electra and it's anybody's guess who is going to come out on top in this one.

I like the chemistry between Danny and Jessica.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    Episode 5:

My favorite aspect of this episode was how much it incorporated all the supporting characters in The Defender's lives: Claire, Coleen, Karen, Trish, Foggy and the gorgeous Malcolm.

[​IMG]

Plus this very hot guy turned up:

[​IMG]

Alexandra's partner's name is Murakami and all I can think of is Abby Ewing's dummy corporation in season 10 of Knots Landing.

I always like it whenever Madame Gao turns up.

Another strength of this episode was seeing some cracks appear in the bad guy team of Alexandra, Murakami, Goa and Bakuto contrasted with The Defenders struggling to trust each other and understand each other's motives.

Elektra is at the heart of all this. I'm anxious to see how things turn out for her. I'm rooting for The Defenders to save her--or for Elektra to save herself. I'm finding her story very compelling.

Loved this exchange:

Jessica: "Nice ears."

Matthew: "They're horns."

This season is so short. Only 3 episodes left. I'm hoping to finish it all up this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Yes, it definitely played a big role in the final meeting with all four of them

That was also my thought process on how this was going to work out.

Some of the humour is the best I've seen. I wonder what it is about doing this. The same can be said when Felicity meets Barry, or Barry meets Oliver. I like how all this plays against the characters own ego and their reactions when they see each other's abilities.

Totally and so I'm going to wonder how I will feel when I start watching the DCD series weekly. I've been very fortunate to be able to watch all these back to back.

The meeting in the cop shop with Misty Knight was one of my favourites, with some characters asking Claire about who is who. How brilliant is it that these supporting roles are used, I hope there's more to come from this.

LOL, I thought the same when I head the name mentioned :D

:lolling:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404

Episode 6:

Stick is one hell of a ruthless git!

Elektra is one mean bitch!

That's all I'm saying :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    I think it might be down to how the Netflix Marvel universe is depicted compared to the DC TV universe. In spite of it being a comic, the Marvel characters are sort of more realistic, more human, more nuanced. They have darker, grittier edges, so when they are funny it's sort of rooted in that dark grittiness and in all their psychological issues and just makes it funnier. Also, I think because the tone is so much darker it makes the humor shine through even more. The DC universe is much more cartoony. It's not a complaint. I like the contrasting tones, but there's no way Barry or even Oliver would fit into the Marvel world as depicted by Netflix.

I find those shows work better for me as a binge too.

That was a highlight of the episode. The character interactions on this show are so interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031

I love her.

More great character interactions between Jessica and Matthew and Luke and Danny.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    I finished up the season last night. Now we wait a couple of years to see them all together again--assuming Netflix gives them a second season.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    What the...is that Sigourney Weaver??? In a tv series? Pleeeeeeaaaase tell me she plays a super-bitch!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    She plays the kind of super bitch who dabbles in martial arts, kidnapping, torture, and raising the dead in her quest for immortality.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,038
    Oooooh!
    The Marvels is not my kind of entertainment but now I feel I have to watch it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    I loved how it all came crashing down and the buildup as to where Daredevil ended up was really tense. I thought they were going to end it without revealing anything, then when they didn't I was a little disappointed.

But other than that, it was a great finale full of everything and I'm going to miss them interacting with each other for a while.

Madam Gao is like Yoda in a dress.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Willie delving into unknown territory, I wonder what will become of this.

18. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    I enjoyed the finale and appreciated that we got about ten minutes of scenes after all the action had wrapped up, just to see how all the characters were settling in. Now we have to wait until next year to catch up with any of them again. Rumors are that Jessica Jones season 2 will come out next spring and Daredevil season 3 will come out next summer.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Yes, that too. All too often stories end within minutes of a final battle, so to see them all licking their wounds and grouping up with their own friends was a nice touch.
    The way things are going with TV, I might need that time just to be free for them. :D

I just hope they have a double long 'Previously on...'

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    Agreed. It's not like there isn't going to be plenty of other great things to watch in the meantime.

• Like Like x 1