Meghan and Harry

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Sarah, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,888
    Medals:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51099102

The Queen has agreed a "period of transition" in which the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will spend time in Canada and the UK.

She said she is "entirely supportive" of their desire for a new role but "would have preferred" them to remain full-time working royals.

There is more work to be done but she expects final decisions to be made in the coming days, she said.

Harry and Meghan said on Wednesday they want to step back as senior royals.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

BIG ANTI CLIMAX!

2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,427
    Medals:
    Support by Queenie. No ill feelings. They are still family.

No wanting to have the entire cake and eat it too.

Ergo, I see no evidence of why I should hate Meghan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,888
    Medals:
    It's all so stupid. If it was as much of a 'crisis' as the papers are reporting, the Queen should have said no. Another flash in the pain for headlines. There was no need to make such an unholy fuss about it, if this was going to be the outcome in the end.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,767
    Medals:
    Well, of course I meant a divorce, darling.

5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,767
    Medals:
    Tick...… tick...….tick...…..

6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,345
    Medals:
    There was never a crisis but an opportunity for the media to continue their attacks on Meghan.

7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,767
    Medals:
    Are you ladies really this naïve? This is just a public statement, a presentation of unity the Royal Family prefers, to ward off gossip as much as possible.

Don't forget --- they had "an agreement" with Diana, too, and then …. *whoosh!* *screech!* *splat!* … and she was Gone with the Windsor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,427
    Medals:
    If the royal family is as toxic as you suggest, I'd tell Meghan to take Archie and run to safety.

But I guess she already has. And I wish nothing but a normal childhood for Archie, far away from the paparazzi and the tabloids.

9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,888
    Medals:
    Unfortunately they are @Emelee and the British Royal family are well known for it, as many who live and work here will tell you. It is very sad. They do what they like, to whoever they like, when they like and very rarely pay any sort of price or pay for their actions. I'm not sure what the Swedish Royals are like but the Windsors have a long long history of being anything but moral.

10. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,427
    Medals:
    Really?! I did not know that.
    The Swedish royals don't have that reputation at all. Quite the opposite. People say they are very nice and genuinly interested in other people. Yet the support for a royal house has declined with every decade. For the same reasons why monarchies are questioned in general.

However, they are popular as human beings instead. Especially Crown Princess Victoria. And I get that, she seems like a very genuine sweet caring and overall likeable person.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,888
    Medals:
    Yes I could sort of tell you thought they were the same at the Swedish Royals - sadly not! Well I mean some of them may try to be but Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Prince Andrew especially are certainly anything but chaste - from adultery to lies to alleged murder plots - some of the books and programmes on them would turn your hair white. Prince Charles cheated on Diana before, during and after their marriage - and Camilla was a willing participant - encouraging him to marry Diana, while continuing the affair behind her back. Yet this is the man in line to be the next King. It's sickening.

The main thing is though they are funded by the British taxpayer and people are sick and tired of it. I will never forget a commentator remarking at Princess Diana's funeral how the Queen Mother was walking unaided at 97. Princess Diana died at 36. And the Queen Mother hated her. Just as she hated Wallace Simpson before her.

12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,767
    Medals:
    In a statement released by the 93-year-old monarch following the family’s two-and-a-half-hour meeting on Monday, the Queen did refer to her grandson and his wife as “the Sussexes.” However, she referred to the couple on multiple instances as “Harry and Meghan,” rather than the Duke and Duchess of Sussex — as she has done in previous statements. She also didn’t use their HRH (His/Her Royal Highness) titles.

Does anybody think this has any significance?

13. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,412
    Medals:
    I recall watching a gossip-y "documentary" on PBS dramatizing (with parts of it acted out by lookalike actresses) the relationship between The Queen Mother and The Duchess of Windsor over the decades. The QM hated DW for the whole abdication crisis mostly because it forced her husband onto the throne, since she had believed when she married George that they'd live a quiet life in the country while his older brother did the hard work of being King. So the QM pulled every trick in the book to snub DW at every turn, ironically using her place at the top of the food chain to accomplish it. It's hard to argue that being crowned King did not hasten George's death, leaving the Queen Mum a widow for far longer than she probably would have if they'd been living a quiet life in the countryside with their daughters.

14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    Mel I'm glad you mentioned it. This latest installment from the House of Windsor reminds me of another soap opera when the Prince of Dallas (Bobby Ewing) married that woman, Pamela Barnes. Is it just me or is the Royal family mirroring the dramas from televisions first family, the Ewing's?

Cankerous Prince Phillip could easily pass as Jock. The Queen fills the role of Miss Ellie (the Donna Reed version). Prince William is becoming the man we love to hate, hello JR. Princess Kate is to be seen, not heard, and perform her wifely duties by producing an heir and spares. While she may not have been a former beauty queen, à la, Sue Ellen, she certainly walked the catwalk...

Kate.jpg
    Then Prince Harry (Bobby) brings home the love of his life, Meghan (Pamela). And to make the whole thing even more comical we have the father of the bride, Digger Barnes, I mean Thomas Markle. Warner Bros should have their lawyers sue for copyright :laughing:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  15. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,888
    Medals:
    Well I wanted to say this earlier but I refuse to compare Sue Ellen to that boring bland wannabee Waity Katie. (cue Snarky lol).

It is all very similar in ways.

But why should the QM have got to live quietly in the countryside if Harry and Meghan can't do their own thing? And don't tell me the silly old bitch didn't love being Queen and all that came with it.

16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,888
    Medals:
    I'm not sure who Stormzy is or why he keeps appearing everywhere, but he's weighed in on the whole thing now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-51102826

Stormzy has said there is no "credible" reason for people not to like Meghan Markle.

Speaking on New York radio station Hot 97, he said: "Meghan is a sweet woman, she does her thing... and they just hate her."

The rapper referenced a clip of Eammon Holmes on TalkSport, where the presenter says: "I look at her and I think... I don't think I'd like you."

Reflecting on the public backlash to Prince Harry and Meghan's decision to "step back as 'senior' members of the Royal Family", Stormzy says criticism of Meghan is "rubbish".

He added that if those joining in were told to write down their reasons for having a negative view of Meghan, they would find there was "nothing credible to it".

Stormzy recently came under fire himself when he was asked whether he believes Britain is racist, to which he replied "yes, 100%".

The quote was framed numerous times to imply the rapper believed 100% of the UK was racist.

"It's the classic media spin," he told BBC Breakfast.

"They know what they're doing. They're weaponising what I said. A lot of people thought I was trying to incite division - but that's what [the media] did, really."

17. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,345
    Medals:
    Compare how the UK media treat Kate and Meghan and understand why many of us think the Duchess of Sussex is being unfairly vilified.

When They Were Pregnant

Kate
    : "Bumping along nicely! The Duchess was seen placing a protective hand on her tummy as she exited the event."

Meghan: "Personally, I find the cradling a bit like those signs in the back of cars: Baby on Board. Virtue signalling, as though the rest of us barren harridans deserve to burn alive in our cars."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

They Both Eat Advocado

Kate and William: "Prince William was given one of the green fruit – wrapped up in a bow – by a little boy who's mother is suffering during her pregnancy too... 'He said he'd take it to [Kate] and see what happens – and said good luck for [the boy's] mummy.'"

Meghan: "The pregnant Duchess of Sussex and so-called 'avocado on toast whisperer' is wolfing down a fruit linked to water shortages, illegal deforestation and all round general environmental devastation."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Not Spending Christmas With The Queen

Kate: "Royal sources said yesterday that the Queen understood and endorsed William and Kate’s decision not to spend Christmas Day with her. One said: ‘Her Majesty understands that it is a dilemma that many young couples face and acknowledges how close Catherine’s relationship is with her family."

Meghan: "The fact is the Queen expects to have the family around her for the festive season... to the Queen, for whom the tradition of the family gathering is a key date in her calendar, Harry and Meghan’s absence will be a matter of great sadness. It will also be a source of frustration."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,345
    Medals:
    Continued...

Trademarking Their Name

Kate and William: "Creating their own companies will allow William and Kate to bring out, should they ever chose to, myriad items of officially-endorsed merchandise from tea towels to coffee cups... Kensington Palace officials said they were doing the ‘sensible thing’ in protecting the couple’s rights."

Meghan and Harry: "The Sussexes want to stamp their name on dozens of products including T-shirts, hoodies, journals and gloves for their newly-created foundation Sussex Royal... Experts said Harry and Meghan were actively preparing to quit the Royal Family months ago by filing trade mark applications to commercially protect their brand."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Being Open About Their Mental Health

Kate and William: "Prince William yesterday backed brother Harry’s brave admission of his mental anguish — and blasted the monarchy’s 'stiff upper lip' tradition... William said: 'There may be a time and a place for the ‘stiff upper lip’ but not at the expense of your health... '

"'Catherine and I are clear we want both George and Charlotte to grow up feeling able to talk about their emotions and feelings. Over the past year we have visited a number of schools together where we have been amazed listening to children talk about some quite difficult subjects in a clear and emotionally articulate way, something most adults would struggle with. Seeing this has really given me hope things are changing and there is a generation coming up who find it normal to talk openly about emotions.'”

Meghan and Harry: "Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have bucked royal tradition once again with their latest TV interview — in which they claimed they were 'existing, not living.' The couple ditched the stiff upper lip of previous Royal Family generations and flew the flag for 'Generation Therapy' as they revealed their emotions to the world - but were they right to do so?

"What you make of 'fragile' Prince Harry and Meghan's comments may depend on your generation. Sun parents and kids reveal what they think of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex airing their emotions in public - and whether they have the right to moan in such positions of privilege..."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Scenting Westminster Abbey For Their Weddings

Kate: "It was reported that new Duchess of Cambridge requested her favorite scented candles and toiletries from luxury fragrance brand Jo Malone be delivered to scent the Abbey. A selection of candles, handwashes and lotions was requested, specifically in citrus spring scents including Orange Blossom, Grapefruit and the ever-popular Lime, Basil & Mandarin."

Meghan: "'Meghan wanted staff to go around with these atomizers, like spritzer guns, and spray the chapel with scent before anyone arrived. Royal Household staff stepped in and told her office politely, but firmly, that this was the queen's chapel and it simply wasn't appropriate. I don't believe they said no because they thought it could affect the chapel in any way. It was simply the principle of the thing. This is a place that has held royal weddings, funerals and even contains the royal vault. I don't believe a request of that nature had been made before.'"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,767
    Medals:
    James Hewitt must be decimated.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,412
    Medals:
    It was said several months ago that The Prince of Wales had been drawing up plans (for the time when he becomes King) to streamline the royal family, to cut down on the number of royals getting paid by the government and doing all those personal appearances, etc. This was even before Prince Andrew got bitch-slapped from beyond the grave by Jeffrey Epstein. I recall reading that Andrew was upset that this plan would marginalize his daughters; now, it's his own scandals that have marginalized them. This streamlining will be a lot easier when they have several older family members closing in on (or already at) retirement, but it will also make it harder to get royal representation at all those charities and other events they frequently need such 'star power' to draw attention to. Ironically the Sussexes were supposed to be a big part of this "leaner" royal family, so I guess Prince Charles's plans will need some editing. The Princess Royal has a more packed engagement calendar than that whole branch of the family anyway--she puts most of them to shame when it comes to devotion to duties. If they've lost Harry and Andrew, poor Anne may have to tighten up that calendar even more. It's totally unfair but Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice might end up being collateral damage of the whole Epstein scandal, willing to assume more royal duties but blocked by Prince Charles as well as public sentiment toward their father.
    Even if rumors are true that Prince Edward will inherit the title of Duke of Edinburgh when his father passes away, I don't think he will suddenly become a big media draw and fill the void left by Andrew and Harry's departures. Prince Edward's wife Sophie is popular (not only with the public but with Her Majesty) but has her own career, as do the children of the Princess Royal. Zara and Peter have never had royal titles anyway, but that was Anne's choice--once again, she looks like the smartest person in the room by making that choice for them.