Melrose Place Melrose Place Season 5.

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Alexis, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Frederique

Frederique Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Enter Lexi Sterling in season 6! Jamie Luner truly was a great addition to the cast. Probably the best thing about seasons 6 & 7.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,074
    Medals:
    Sadly, Jamie Luner is mostly wasted during season 6 until the "Summer of Love" episodes.

@sbaker once described season five the best as "daytime soap slow but on crack" or something along those lines. There's a feeble attempt to make the show "grounded" this season and part of it I assume was to actually see some storylines out without retooling - one of the worst things is also that everyone becomes increasingly islanded as the season progresses (perfect example is Alison & Jake - who knew that a pair that had some potential in that season one episode would turn out this horrible?).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yes, isolating characters in their own storyline bubbles was the show's downfall in season 5. It was like the writers decided to separate every character combination that had made the show so entertaining in the earlier seasons.

Characters that suddenly stopped interacting or only had little overlap included...
    - Jane and Michael
    - Sydney and Michael
    - Sydney and Kimberly
    - Amanda and Alison
    - Amanda and Kimberly
    - Alison and Billy
    - Billy and Jake
    - Matt and Michael

Of course they couldn't repeat the same storylines and conflicts over and over again, but somehow it felt as if these characters didn't know each other anymore despite living in the same building.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,350
    Medals:
    The second half of season 5 seems to be even worse than the first. It's so unbelievably slow and dull, like majorly unexciting. I have even fallen asleep during it. I can not stand Alison. She just ruins everything! She's even managed to ruin Jake. Sidney and Samantha's rivalry is the most pointless waste of screen time. I cant buy the musical bed partners of it all now. Alison with Jake, Billy with Samantha, Peter with Taylor, it feels like everyone's been with everyone in a really pointless way. I think I'm getting Melrose fatigue already. A screaming whaling guitar doesn't make a very dull scene exciting.

Taylor and Kyle's obnoxious room mate is utterly terrible. Sidney's millionaire boyfriend giving up everything to become a waiter is ridiculous. Kimberly's 3 months to live feels like an eternity and the whole reveal with Megan and that whole set up feels unimportant now. As others have mentioned the dynamics of the show just feels very much off now. Characters who were friends or even lovers at one point just don't ever have scenes together now. Which makes it all feel very forced. We have people only doing scenes with 3 or 4 characters and never really mixing outside that.

Also at what point did Billy start scrunching his hair to keep the curl?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,074
    Medals:
    IIRC, Marcia Cross was at this point in contract negotations, hence it being drawn out.

Honestly, the idea of the Sam character wasn't originally a bad idea - bring in someone fairly normal and an outsider into the mix and have them react to the absolute insanity of the world these characters inhabit. Too bad she just turned out to be a low-rent Alison replacement.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +473
    If you sleep through season 5 don't watch season 6 which is much MUCH worst !! It's like season 7B of "Dynasty" but with 32 episodes instead of 16...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hmm, I don't think Samantha was very similar to Alison. The latter, as miserable as she was most of the time, provided a lot of fun drama, but Sam was just boring. She didn't even have an interesting backstory other than being a girl from rural Maryland. Wow, that's really exciting.

In addition, Brooke Langton wasn't a good actress, and pairing her with the equally bad Andrew Shue (and David Charvet in the beginning of her run) made matters even worse.

The character would have worked better if she had been thrown in the L.A. party life and had experienced some kind of downward spiral. She was only in her early 20s, but had the most boring life ever.

The role of the outsider reacting to the insanity of the other characters was perfectly (and credibly) filled by Megan.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,691
    Medals:
    Season 5 is when I started watching MP (prior to Jamie Luner's arrival, but it didn't know exactly when she would arrive) and I remember thinking: this is the hit show of the 1990s?
    I think there was a bar or club we were supposed to care about, starring Alyssa Milano in her worst role ever?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,074
    Medals:
    Kyle's which then added The Upstairs (the super hip jazz club!), an obvious replacement for Shooters. I guess they couldn't add a stage to that set or something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,350
    Medals:
    Kyle and his mate from Desert Storm kinda trashed Shooters one night, so it's all good.

11. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,350
    Medals:
    God this season is painful to watch. Utterly boring shite. I have resorted to just leaving it on while I do other stuff as I cant devote my whole brain to the nothingness of it all. In the end I decided to switch it off for a bit and watch some Sunset Beach as it's better. Weirdly they were both airing around the same time too.

Really this whole thing with Taylor and Kyle and his friend Nick is so boring and it takes up so much screen time. These additions to the cast were terrible. Peter's affair with Taylor is just so boring and his divorce from Amanda isn't at all what it should be. I mean there is stuff going on but it is mind numbingly dull. It makes season 7 of Dynasty seem so amazingly exciting.

Megan's hooker storyline is just not interesting. Are they seriously going for a Pretty Woman vibe with Michael being her Knight in shining armour? Cos' I mean that's some flawed writing. Of all people... Michael?

I fear that Billy and Samantha will slip into a catatonic state from the combination of their terminal boringness! I wouldn't be mad if a gun man arrived at the apartment complex and just starting picking people off one by one.
    That reminds me... Matt's niece needs to go before I put my boot through my flat screen. I need to have some excitement instead of all this excrement!

I actually just f**king cant at Sidney's storyline with her billionaire boyfriend. I can still smell the stink of it in 2019, about 23 years after it occurred.

I need a spurt of episodes that reveal Amanda has been behind some Abby Ewing-esque scheme and all this boredom has been a distraction to keep me away from the real plot of the season. I mean there is no plot this season. Shit just happens. It seems like some unrelated exit stories.

Alison is still a miserable bitch, but at least she's gone back to working at D&D which is at least something. Some flash of what once was. She, Billy and Amanda chatting shit around a flip chart with a bad mock up of a perfume add. It almost feels like old times only I hate two of these characters to death now.

Jake Hanson is now out building fences (white picket ones that he knocked down) with the mother of his kid, who I either totally forgot about or missed some serious exposition. It's also terribly dull, and Jake just looks like ANYONE in the WORLD without his trade mark floppy blonde '90s locks. Now he looks like everyone's uncle Martin or a an onion. He's become really shitty since they cut his hair. Jake is Samson, Alison is Delilah. The End.
    Miserable bitch!

Also I finally found out who Lisa Rinna, Taylor, reminds me of!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,758
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Oh yeah, with a little touch of...

[​IMG]

13. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,350
    Medals:
    Sometimes it feels like I'm watching a really terrible reality show about really really boring stupid people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,268
    I gave up on MP somewhere in the middle of season 5.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,758
    Medals:
    I myself felt as if I were watching a gay p*rn minus the fun parts...because the new guys look sooooo gay perfect!

[​IMG]

This is for real!!!​

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,350
    Medals:
    I have to be honest none of the new guys really do anything for me. Maybe Kyle, when he isn't speaking.

17. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,758
    Medals:
    Neither for me. Only in my dreams...

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +134
    Season 5 was the beginning of the end. The first 4 seasons are classic! We have pretty much the same cast in it. Sydney and Kimberly were added in seasons 3 and 4 but still, they were always there in seasons 2-4, and Jo and Amanda had been there since mid season 1. Season 5 we see some new characters like Taylor, Kyle, Samantha, Megan and Craig. And then season 6 we keep Jennifer and Lexi and Coop show up. Jeff Bailor also had a big deal to do with season 6 as well. It was just too many new characters.

Season 5 opened nicely. The first half was really, really good. Jane was crazy. Richard was killed off finally. Then Jane turns nice again and finds her mother and leaves town. Michael finds out about Kimberly dying and Megan and him get together. It was bad after that point, once Michael had the car accident with Megan. The rest of the season was a lot of dull. Amanda/Peter/Kyle/Taylor. We saw that a lot in the first half, but it was still watchable. The 2nd half it was just stupid. Too much of them. Sydney was funny and fun but that's all she was able to be. It seems the 2nd half of the season was a mix of that, Jake and Alison's relationship, and the Amanda/Peter/Taylor/Kyle crap. Oh, yeah, and Samantha's father. The finale was nice though. The season just became too much of Amanda/Taylor/Kyle/Peter. Before that it was just Amanda/Bobby/Peter, and then Bobby was killed off. But still, it became dull to keep watching.

Season 6 was a mess. The first half of it was the best, yes, but then after Marion Shaw left, Coop turned wussy. It was not watchable anymore. I always thought Coop would try to kill Michael and instead he turned into some wussy good guy who was messed up because of Lexi. Lexi sucked until the summer of love/beginning of season 7, yet the first few shows were mostly bad. It was after she re-married Coop she got better. His exit was bad. He stalked her and just scared her. He should have been killed off or in jail. But he was too good and wuss of a guy that they messed up that character.

All the dull characters left at the end of season 6 that even though Kyle was still there it was watchable for season 7. It was too much Taylor in seasons 5-6 and it was too much and too repetitive.

19. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I don't know why people dislike season 5 so much. I loved it. It was seasons 6-7 that I found sub par.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,350
    Medals:
    I'm finding it very hard to stay focused and interested in it. I don't think I have ever cared less about a bunch of characters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1