Michael Douglas latest to deny sexual harrassment

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Sarah, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,776
    So now Michael Douglas is apparently ready to make a statement:

Michael Douglas has denied that he sexually harassed a woman over 30 years ago as he took a pre-emptive strike against an as-yet-unreported allegation.

The actor said that he felt “the need to get ahead” when he became aware that a former employee was going to release claims that he had masturbated in front of her, used explicit language in front of her and “blackballed” her from the industry in the press.

The 73-year-old – who called the most serious of the claims “a complete lie” – also said that he wanted to speak out because his children are “really upset” and are worried he will be labelled a sexual harasser.

In an interview with US entertainment website Deadline, the Wall Street star said he was approached for a comment from film industry magazine The Hollywood Reporter regarding his former employee’s allegations.

Asked why he was coming forward to expose the story that may or may not surface, Douglas said: “I felt the need to get ahead of this".

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ent-claims-ahead-of-publication-36474970.html

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,138
    I believe Douglas' denial. It rings true somehow -- plus, her jumping onto the trendy "he masturbated in front of me" train doesn't help her credibility right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,317
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Once again it's the he said/she said/he said scenario. And rather than go to the police in such matters they're running to the media. How does one come to the conclusion he is guilty or she is lying based on events which occured 30 odd years ago without any absolute proof? And this one got me laughing;

Sweet Jesus I've heard women and men use language (at work) that would make a sailor blush. Should I in 25 years go running to the media and tell my horrid story about the two elderly ladies in the tearoom swearing their heads off? Should I lodge a formal complaint when they speak about their monthly visitor or hot flushes? I suppose it's about context but when it comes to the media the story of course will favour the complainant. The lines of guilt are being blurred here. Now its guilt by media - not by a court/judge or jury.

5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,302
    In my time working as a waiter and barman I have been groped, pawed, had my ass grabbed, been kissed, all by women that I had no interest in at all. These women have also used explicit language in front of me. Is there a form I can fill out or an 0800 number I can call for compensation? I'm willing to say they masturbated in front of me.

ME TOO.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,927
    I dont know what I believe any more - people are crawling out of the woodwork on a daily basis but i would ask why didnt they do it 25 years ago?

Also it was different 25 years ago, hate to say it but it was and a good bit less PC than now

The moral high ground and PC correctness Brigade are taking over and i do question people who run to the media rather than the Police with their story to tell and why wait so long?

Micheal Douglas did need Therapy back in the olden days as he was addicted to sex if i recall

have no idea if its true or not but its endless, who will be next?

Have to say @Alexis Ive seen nights out where Hen party's treatment of male waiting and bar staff makes my toes curl and I'm embarrassed
    Its not just one way as the Press is making it out. Poor female victims getting a hard time from men, it cuts both ways.

This story is going to run and run Im afraid

the casting couch has been around since silent films!

• Agree Agree x 2