Michael Jackson Remembered On 10th Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sarah, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    Medals:
    Michael Jackson died 10 years ago today and despite recent controversy, I feel he deserves to be remembered for his music. I, as I'm sure many others do, miss him.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,002
    Medals:
    I don't especially miss him as I wasn't really a fan of his music but it doesn't seen like 10 years since he died. I agree with you that he should be remembered for his music because he holds a significant position in the history of popular music.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    I woke up this morning to the sound of "Thriller" and wondered why they were showing MJ on TV. Now I get it.
    It's weird it's been 10 years. It is a long time. I remembered I was visiting with friends in Finland when it happened. I woke up in the middle of the night by the sound of my phone getting a text message. I opened it around five a.m. and there it was: "OMG Michael Jackson has died". One of my best friends in the US couldn't wait to share the news and I remember being completely shocked. I typed back "Has there been an accident? Is his kids alright?" I think my first thought was car crash. Maybe because we lost Princess Diana that way. I just hadn't expected that MJ would die. He was making a comeback that year and seemed to be doing better.

I spent a lot of time on Youtube listening to his music and watching his music videos the following day while I tried to come to terms with the fact that another icon from my childhood was gone. It was really sad and I cried when I watched his funeral on TV. I felt so bad for his kids. :(

Later that year I did a tribute episode of a talk show I was working on at the time all dedicated to MJ where I Interviewed some big MJ fans and also the people behind the Stockholm MJ flashmob. We also had a children's choir singing some of his songs. The show was plagued by a sound problem in the studio. But except for that I am pretty satisfied with how the show turned out so if anyone wants to have a watch feel free to do so. It is mostly in Swedish but has English subtitles:

That is the first part. Interview with a MJ fan.

First part of reportage about MJ fans

Second part of the reportage about MJ fans. (Since the show came out before "This is it" we were able to use some press kit material to promote it in the reportage.)

https://youtu.be/oVI94M5sgVA
    End of reportage and second interview with a MJ fan.

https://youtu.be/67lAviyN4is
    More of the interview

https://youtu.be/Ukuxnw_edg0
    Children's choir singing some of his songs.

https://youtu.be/vhi68ZiY5kQ
    The end of the show.

All together it's an hour.

Working on this what I experienced was how loved MJ was by people all around the globe. He brought people together. He was all about peace and unity and love.

Today that is not how MJ is remembered at all. So well by reposting this show I am trying to shift the focus from the negative stuff that's come out in the last year and bring his legacy back to how I would like to remember him and that is how he was remembered right after his passing. For his talent, music, dancing, extraordinary career, generosity and humanitarian work. :hat:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  4. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,351
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1