Coronation Street Michael Parkinson: violent Coronation Street makes me recoil

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Barbara Fan, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,931
    Sir Michael Parkinson 'recoiled' at the latest gruesome Coronation Street murder - as he warned the soap is in danger of losing its original charm. The former chat show host and long-term fan of the soap said the gruesome storyline, which saw villain Pat Phelan (Connor McIntyre) kidnap, imprison and then murder Andy Carver (Oliver Farnworth) and Vinny Ashford (Ian Kelsey), felt 'formulaic' and a long way from the programme he enjoyed in the 1960s.Pat had convinced Andy that he would let him go if he helped him to take Vinny hostage as his 'replacement'. With freedom in mind, Andy co-operated, but he was unaware that Pat had a dark twist set in store for him.Phelan sought revenge on Vinny after he made off with all the money from the duo's plans to scam Weatherfield's residents by selling flats they had no intention of building.The chilling episode saw Vinny battered and bruised and covered in blood, as he lay gagged and tied up, before Pat yelled at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/~/article-5056573/index.html

I so agree with him, its n longer a show I have to see and its losing my interest
    its lost its warmth, realism and northern humour and is far from realistic any more
    Its also got a lot of dead wood actors and actresses who if they are the future of the show, its needs help!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Couldn't agree more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,219
    The Daily Mail makes me recoil so I guess it all balances out.

4. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,931
    Its Actually an Interview from this weeks radio times, It wouldnt let me copy and paste it here and delete all the Irrelevant ads and links etc

He sums up my feelings too, Corrie has has lost touch with why it was so popular for decades and its going to have to work hard to get back to its northern roots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    Of course it's a long way from the 60s, just like Doctor Who & Star Trek are nothing like their shows from that era.

It's going out to a different audience and even though I'm enjoying the 80s Corrie, someone as simple as me can see that show wouldn't survive on prime time TV today.

6. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    The thing I have noted is that there is a tendency for some, like Parkinson, to never be happy with Corrie or any of the soaps.

When I look back to the past five years of Corrie right now it's in a really great place. The show has had 'unrealistic' plots for the last decade or so. Richard Hillman or Mad Maya. You could argue Deirdre's time in prison was unrealistic way back when.

With Phelan they have taken the threads of Hillman and instead of the pantomime element with a sinister undertone they have gone all out to make him a nasty and vicious character who is completely messed up.

But throughout there is old Corrie very much alive and well. The humour is still in abundance and characters that were ruined by the previous producer suddenly have layers to them again. Sally, Gail and Tracy in particular are rounded and no longer one thing.

The show still feels very character driven to me.

7. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,931
    yes it did, but it also had Jack and Vera, Bet and Alex, Deirdrie and Ken to give it that balance, thats no longer there and they could act
    and i watched or zipped thro on itv player the nonsense of Todd and Adam breaking into the shop and dozy Rawzie stealing a key and flaunting her only reason she is in Corrie - ie her T*ts, what utter crap! And the Pat Phelan plot is just plain daft and nonsense, and totally realistic and far fetched, and how does he manage it all and still work and earn a wage

The young(er) cast members - Sinead, Chesney, Maria, Rania and zeedan, Alyia, the gran who over acts badly (i cant even remember her name she is that memorable) Sean, dev, Eva, Anna, dozy Raw-zie and Saw -phee, Shona and her son - who cares? , Luke, Billy - they leave me cold - half of them cant act for toffee and if they are the future of the show then its in trouble, big trouble

Its good news that Alison King is coming back but sadly the people who would still make me want to dip in and out like Rita, Norris, ken, Audrey, Gail are getting older and wont be around forever

I like Sally and Tim, Kev, Liz, Steve, Tracey, David, Roy, cathy etc and one of the better younger ones Todd is getting written out for reasons we dont know about and thats a shame
    Very few people i work with now watch Corrie - having said that no one watches EE and Emmerdale seems to be the preferred soap at work.

I will give it a go tonight but my expectations are low and I understand why there has been a backlash

I hope that ITV quickly put old Corrie on their iTV player as i would enjoy re watching that

8. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    I think all the soaps now are more concerned with quantity/output rather than quality, just churn it out regardless.

Swami

9. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    But a character like Bet feels so out of place. I know what you are saying but Corrie still has a vibe of the old show which still makes it unique. New characters like Moria are really fun.

I would like to see a character like Ivy but I wonder if that type of actor still exists. I'm sure they do but you just don't see it.

The attempt to bring in that type of character was a complete flop when the previous producer brought in Beth's family. Maybe it was just bad writing!

I am glad Rita has a storyline which is great for Barbara Knox and I love how the new producer has softened the characters and their relationships. Again Jenny was a great addition but the previous producer didn't even really bother exploring her relationship with Rita. I like how now there is a real fondness between the characters.

The only character I struggle with his Gemma. I really want to like her but maybe the casting isn't great. Whereas I really love Bethany, a great little actress.

10. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    I like Gemma and her relationship with Rita, but there have been a few times where I've found her too much and I think that's down to pushing her in our faces. She's great as a side character who appears sporadically and gets under people's skins, but giving her too much story and then it feels like overload.

I prefer the little scenes where she came into the Platt's house wearing a tee-shirt with Kylie's name on it.

GemmaTshirt.jpg

I think it's a great move to pair her with the older characters.

I didn't take to her at the beginning, but I now realise that's down to the story with Liz in the medical centre. Once Liz quit that job and we started to see more of Moria in the Rovers mixing with the other characters, she really started to click with me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,441
    I'm bored by the Phealen plot, it might be this era's Richard Hillman storyline but its just dry, like alot of Corrie today, I know we cant go back to how things were in 1987, 1997 or even 2007, because times change I'm sure people who in 1987 preferred Corrie in 1967 or 1977.

But these days it seems that quantity has replaced quality, plot development has replaced character development, Bethany is one of the few younger actors I like, and thankfully she's bolstered further by being part of the Platt clan, but she herself is a good actress, I like how Latoya is now quite snobbish compared to how she was 20 years ago.

But something needs to be done with all the soaps in general, storylines drag on, certain characters are shoved down our eye sockets, and too many episodes also.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    People need to wake up and realise that soaps are not set in a world where everyone loves everyone and bad things don't happen.

There was murder in the 60s and 70s in Coronation Street. Steve Tanner, Lynn Johnson, Ernest Bishop, etc... Even Stan Ogden once went beserk in the 1960s and tried to kill Hilda.

13. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    The difference is they were well written and acted in those days.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,777
    Stop hiring pop stars in the roles and it may get back to what it was...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,482

That takes care of Michelle Connor (who I think is a very good actor) but what about

Chesney
    Sinead
    Kirk
    Maria
    Zeedan
    Dev
    Sean
    Tyrone
    Izzy

And what about Better Driver who was famous for singing before acting?

16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,777
    You know my thoughts on this one! Plenty of out of work actors, without hiring in x factor/pop idol people. Believe me as I've said before, Equity are approached about it ALL the time, from actors who are trained professionals and/or who have worked their asses off to try to get a break. The majority of us don't just get it handed to us because we were in a one off band. Equity used to be a closed shop, and many are campaigning for that to go back. The industry is so different now and it's hard for many of us to adapt to. There seems to be a feeling now that anyone can do it, and it shouldn't be the case. It's an industry I am very proud of, but the difference is, I've worked hard for what I've achieved. I have no issue at all if someone makes that transition, or does both - but train, learn, do the craft - don't just appear because you used to be in a band and call yourself an actress. Sorry it just doesn't wash. And that's exactly what Marsh and Ward have done (nothing).

Michelle's storylines bore the life out of me anyway. Kym Marsh isn't even in the same league as Betty Driver and things weren't the same back when she started. Nowadays it's all about shiny ex pop stars who should (but don't) bring in names. If they take my jobs, I can just as well go down the road and take out someone's appendix or fly a plane. Nuff said.

My mind isn't going to change on this one. It's insulting to me as someone who works hard for every part I get - you can't understand the position that working, jobbing actors are in, unless you are one yourself - it is very very hard and very annoying and hurtful when things are just handed to the likes of Marsh/Ward, but I'm learning slowly to cope with it. They probably won't have a lasting career in the industry. There is a massive difference between getting a role, and being deserving of the title of 'actor'. And sorry but it is hurtful to be challenged about it, it's my job, which I have done all my life - I know what it is like to be in the middle of it, and all that goes along with it. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    I know, you say them often enough :lol:

And I've always said why is it so wrong for a singer to be able to put their hand at another job.

Would you have a problem if a police officer decided to train to be a firefighter?

That's the difference.

Surely you must see that our soaps use these pop starts as a way of luring in young fans. It's just business in their eyes and while it might not be the right way to do things, it's the way the world is changing.

How do you know if Shayne Ward, Kym Marsh & Keith Duffy never did any acting training?

Is that not down to the writers and producers? I'm not sure Kym Marsh writes for Corrie.

I've nearly finished 12 months of Corrie from 1986 and as sweet as Betty Driver is, her acting isn't up to much. It's more about the chemistry she has onscreen.

Which is more commonly known as evolving through time?

Then you will always be unhappy with something you can not change.

Why put yourself through that?

Then don't challenge it (in your words) Nuff said :D

18. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,777
    No worries.

19. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Two words... Brett Falcon.

Four more words.

David Jones
    Peter Noone

Honourory mention :
    Michael Ball

20. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Kym Marsh hasn't been in the show as long as Betty Driver was, so it's not fair to compare them.