Michele Hugo's cinematography

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,908
    Hugo photographed the 1980 pilot, and then filmed Seasons 5 thru 9.

For Season 5, he brought a lustrous, silky sheen too the picture which seemed perfect for DYNASTY's aspirations during what would turn out to be its peak year (in terms of popularity and cultural influence)...

After Season 5, however, this was gone.

BTW: I'm not talking about the grainy, ruddy, splotchy, low-resolution look the original broadcast prints took on by late-S6 into S8, as that wasn't Hugo's fault but an industry post-production aberration of the era (and were corrected for Region 1 DVD release)... And those unnecessary S8 uber-blurry close-ups were apparently demanded by the cuckoo producers focused on the wrong things literally.

But even in their best presentation, S6 thru S9 imagery from Hugo never had quite the glossy veneer that S5 did.

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,908
    Well, I just started watching the S5 DVDs, and I actually don't think the prints are quite s good as I expected. For one thing, that silky sheen (I still have some old VHS copies of a few episodes) is really muted, the picture a bit fuzzier. The color saturation is better, though.

3. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,740
    That clip made me realise I am severely lacking some DYNASTY in my life right now. Dare I go in?

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  4. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    YEEEEEES! Go, go, go, plug in that memorycard! :dance:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Jermaine

Jermaine Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I prefer the look of season 2-4. I don’t mind the lush look of season 5, it’s quite pretty. But it made the show look even more plastic and dreamlike (i.e. less realistic) to me.

Which of course fits perfectly with a season that was all about style over substance. It was all about shiny gowns and glossy guest stars with nothing meaningful to do and no interesting stories to tell.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    I wonder what our initial impressions (the VHS era) of DYNASTY are. I remember when I first came in the US in 1988 and saw some old DYNASTY episode reruns, I was horrified by the look--it was nowhere near the impressive palette of the show I had experienced in Europe. Much later I found out that at the time, any show on NTSC would never look as good as PAL. Of course I have not seen any DVDs of the show other than the first two seasons (which I used to own).

7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Yes, PAL was always so much superior in color, contrast and in terms of resolution and i never understood why the US went so many decades with their crappy NTSC and didn't switch over to PAL as well. Really stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,740
    Is the NTSC to PAL thing why we get that jumpy shuddery picture when someone wears a bright colour on the DVDs. It's almost enough to induce a seizure.

9. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    I assume the DVDs come straight from the film, so any image problems have to do with the production company. @Snarky's Ghost mentioned he was disappointed with the discs in the US version as well. I remember buying the first two seasons on regular DVD (not HD) and they were ok but certainly looked dated.