1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Missed Opportunities

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Tullamore, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Hi guys.

As I mentioned in a previous post re:the old forum gone,I like what ifs,your ideas and how the show could have been slightly different.

So here's one- missed opportunities with storylines: for instance; the storm in season 12 could have affected the characters instead of just keeping people inside and staying the night

The Austria/Russia trip-surely more espionage could have been worked in here even locking the Ewing boys in a gulag

Thoughts?

2. Tullamore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Another being all our old favourites the tanker Pam crashes with being one of JR'S illegal dealings

3. SantaCarrintonEwingsBells

SantaCarrintonEwingsBells Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    Medals:
    The European trip should've occurred around the middle seasons, it certainly would've been more effective, perhaps we could have seen Sue Ellen getting drunk on vodka with a Russian toy boy who may or may not be a spy for the Soviets.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tullamore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Neat ideal - Sue Ellen unwittingly getting caught up in a spy ring and JR having to bail themselves out. Or....even better,JR and Sue Ellen with Bobby and Pam all implicated and Cliff having to pull strings to release the- on the condition that JR asks Cliff for help

5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,801
    Medals:
    The biggest missed opportunity for the show was not having Sue Ellen and JR team up in business, instead choosing to have him run off with that stupid idiot Kimberley Cryder. The show went drastically downhill from the minute these two were separated permanently. It was total idiocy on the point of the writers. Even if Linda Gray did want to leave, they should have given this golden couple a better ending. I felt robbed and the character of JR was never ever the same without Sue Ellen around.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Tullamore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Agreed. Couldn't stand why JR would fall for Kimberley just episodes after Manby,though I guess it was purely for WestStar.

A bigger missed opportunity imo is when Sue Ellen teams up with Wendell and WestStar but only for a few episodes- how about Sue Ellen V JR in the business stakes?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,801
    Medals:
    He didn't fall for Kimberley - he fell for WestStar. Mandy doesn't even come into it - he was with Sue Ellen at the time, and had made a commitment to her after telling her he loved her before he went to see BD Calhoun. His heart was with Sue Ellen. The whole way it was written was disgracefully insulting. I know they had their problems, but I really hated how my favourite couple ended up (before JR Returns sort of fixed it at Larry's request - to make things right between JR and Sue Ellen).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tullamore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Yep. Got a bit mixed up around those seasons. It was one of the genuinely 'happy' times between them.

9. Tullamore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    There is a scene in The Great Texas Waltz when Bunny or whatever he's called walks April into a conversation with Mack in a museum. A neat touch could have been that American couple returning in April in Paris to help kidnap her

10. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I had always felt that JR and Sue Ellen should have had a daughter after John Ross. A womanizer like JR with a daughter would have been fun.

I also thought a good storyline would have been if someone claimed that Ellie's grandfather, Enoc Southworth, did not purchase Southfork legally.

I would have loved to have met Jason Ewing.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    It would have been interesting to see JR teach Sue Ellen about the oil business and then seeing them work together. It also would've been kind of cool to see them compete with each other for a while, too. Imagine JR's reaction to Sue Ellen getting a deal before him! I would've liked all of this a lot better than that Valentine Lingerie stuff. And I don't know why they made Sue Ellen work with Bobby at Ewing Oil in the reunion movies instead of JR.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    The Kimberley Cryder thing was made just to scare people, I think. Even though I think that JR and Sue Ellen's marriage was mostly a mess, I do still believe JR loved her. He just didn't know how and want to be a good husband most of the time. But it was just plain insulting when they made JR tell Vanessa Beaumont that she was "the only woman he ever loved." What did the writers think Sue Ellen was!? Chopped liver!?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    I think the writers missed a huge opportunity with Katherine Wentworth and Wentworth Industries. She could have been a realistic business woman as the head of Wentworth Tool and Dye, and someone the oil business needed and worked with from time to time. Katherine could have had knowledge about the tool and dye and oil business from her father. It would have been more realistic than what I call the "magical" business knowledge that came from nowhere with Pam and Sue Ellen, and even worse, the Stevens sisters. And Katherine could have been someone that did not break professional boundaries like sleeping with business partners like Marilee and Holly did. In other words, Katherine would have been someone who knew how to get what she wanted in business on her own terms. I could just imagine her getting a desperate JR and Bobby to pay her a ton of money in exchange for a high quality drill or other oil related equipment they needed. It would have been a good way to keep Katherine on the show as a major character. Making her go crazy for Bobby was a waste.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    The reveal that Kristin had miscarried JR's child and ended up dead in the Southfork pool. Mary Crosby was the perfect fit to play this character and it was such a shame the writers thought it best to kill a potential story down the track. Come to think of it the writers were not forward thinking in their plots. They always thought best to put an exclamation mark on characters, therefore killing any notion of a possible return and potential conflict.

Gee, it would have been good to watch a season heading towards a non-cliffhanger conclusion. The story-arc had been neatly tied up without a Ewing left in a life or death situation. Instead, we have the Ewing family gather at Southfork for pre-dinner drinks. The family are getting along and even having a laugh at JR's expense. By this stage the viewer is thinking, "Where the hell is my cliffhanger?"

The front door bell rings. Theresa answers. The camera (low to the ground) follows what is clearly a woman walking towards the living room. She stops.

"Oh my GOD!", exclaims Sue Ellen.

As the extended Ewing family all turn we see Kristin, holding a little girls hand.

Freeze frame.
    End credits.​

• Like Like x 5
  15. lbf522

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +219

I totally agree. Marilee and Holly were both a joke it would have been nice to have a real businesswoman on the show. Having her bedding JR and chasing after Bobby was awful and yes a total waste. As I have said, Katherine should have challenged Rebecca's will in court as well.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Tullamore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Marilee just came across as a slapper who occasionally met up with 3 old guys for lunch to talk figures

17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    :a2: I won't have anyone calling my Marilee a "Slapper." As a guy in his very early twenties when viewing Marilee parading around her pool I can tell you she could have had her wicked way with me. If anyone was the slapper it was Cliff. The way he treated Marilee after his Off Shore deal came romping in was a disgrace. How dare he swap saliva - and other liquids - with my stunning Marilee only to leave her feeling humiliated after he's had his fun. What an ungentlemanly act.

• Like Like x 2
  18. lbf522

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I will also add that they should have left Ellie was a widow and have her become like Victoria Barkley.

19. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Medals:
    The writers should have had more scenes and a constant rivalry between Marilee and Sue Ellen. I think after 1980, it took five years before they had a scene together (in 1985, when Marilee rubbed Sue Ellen's face in the fact that JR was parading Mandy around town). After that, I don't know if they even interacted. Marilee was so jealous of Sue Ellen in the first couple seasons that she should have told Sue Ellen about her own affair with JR, and they should have had a catfight, or Sue Ellen could have punched her out like Donna did Bonnie.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Cousin Jimmy could have come back to join in the Barnes/Ewing feud. At least there was real history there and continuity.

I think Clayton was a missed opportunity. We saw him with all this power and prestige in San Angelo but he never seemed to be that person after he came to Dallas. They could have done a lot with that. They kept him on the fringes of being a "loser". He was also a lot of talk and not much action.

As has been said, Patricia and Ellie's short clash in the dream season was actually a highlight. That could have been developed a lot more than it did.

Donna with her oil well was an exciting idea they let fizzle.

• Like Like x 4