Monica Colby Appreciation

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by lbf522, Apr 27, 2017.

1. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I loved Monica Colby wonderfully played by Tracy Scoggins. She was what Fallon (PSM) was and who Lucy Ewing could have been if the writers had not given up on her so soon.

She was a female Jason Colby in that she was smart and mature. i like that they did not make her a bimbo but someone who one could take seriously in the boardroom.

I would have loved to have a scene after Jason disowned her and Miles (finding out they were not his children).

Tracy Scoggins was (and is) very beautiful and she made Monica my favorite character.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,167
    Medals:
    The Colby sisters were very different.
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps they should have emphasized Claire Yarlett's "Brigitte Bardot" look...but I digress (already!)
    Personally I didn't really like that story, and I prefer the Colbys to be Colbys.
    I mean, Bliss is running Colby Enterprises now?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    That would be Jeff, seeing how he's Jason's firstborn. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I was not crazy about Miles and Monica not being Jason's either. It was a shock though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    I personally did like that twist. Plus, for me, it gave an explanation for why and how Sable was so paranoid on The Colbys, why she was always so fixated on preserving the family legacy for her children, because she was keeping the secret of their true parentage all their lives. There was even a line where Sable says to Frankie, "I'm Mrs. Jason Colby. I *always* have to be on my guard." I remember she said it in a tone that suggested she learned that the hard way...

But anyway, back to the subject of Monica, I really liked her in season 9. I loved the chemistry she had with Sable and Jeff; she was a fun addition. :D

• Like Like x 3
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,167
    Medals:
    But he went back to Denver.
    Yes, although at that time it simply looked as if she wanted to be the perfect wife, and protect her perfect world - and I like that idea too.
    I guess they had to think of something to justify why both Sable and Monica were no longer living in California, but apart from that it didn't really enhance the story, unlike Jeff's parentage. SoapLand often did these plot twists without it actually being a plot, and I'm not a fan of these twists for the sake of convenience, or to shock the audience just because they can.
    But oh well The Colbys was over anyway - long live Dynasty!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    Maybe he set up a Colby Enterprises branch in Denver?

But actually, it was the whole reason why Sable was going after Alexis all season (because she was the one who revealed the truth to Jason), and it was because Sable was looking for something to get on Alexis was why and how the body of Roger Grimes was found. So basically, it was the core of that whole season's story.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,167
    Medals:
    Then I stand corrected.
    I thought her search and discovery was caused by something she had learned in California, something about Jason's father (?).
    But it's been a while since I've seen Dynasty.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    I think you're right, too: she learned about something in California involving the lake and Jason's father (or Blake's father?), and thought she could use it against Alexis, and so sent a diver down to poke around... only for him to unearth Roger's corpse.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,167
    Medals:
    But how? What does she have to do with Tom Carrington and Andrew Colby?

11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,167
    Medals:
    I don't think these women needed a reason to hate eachother:lol:, but when Sable buys the Carlton it seems that their feud is based on a one-night-stand Alexis had with Jason (this also did not happen on The Colbys).
    Then in one of the last episodes Alexis tells Monica that Jason isn't her father, and after that Sable explains the story to Jeff and Monica.
    Did they do this to justify a physical fight between Sable and Alexis?

Was it mentioned before that episode that Miles and Monica were disinherited?

13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    It sure was mentioned before that. Way before, actually. But actually, they kind've did need a reason to hate each other. Compare their very first scene back in Season 6; they seem to get along with one another quite well, although Alexis seems to view Sable as a mildly annoying relation. When The Colbys ended, everybody missed Sable, and Paulsen did the smart thing by bringing her over to Dynasty. Except Linda Evans was on her way out the door, meaning it was up to Sable to take Krystle's place as Alexis' rival.

But how to give the Colby cousins enough reason to hate one another? Alexis is naturally a bitter, mean-spirited woman, but when Sable fought with Constance and Frankie, it was over legit reasons. Paulsen had to come up with a reason for Sable to be in Denver and wanting to destroy Alexis, all while staying true to her character. And he knew the best way to get Sable riled up is to mess with her children. So that's what he had Alexis do - big time.

Paulsen wanted a rivalry that would be a worthy follow-up to Krystle vs Alexis. And if you ask me, he delivered.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,167
    Medals:
    Ah, thanks. Did we get to know the reason why, because obviously Monica didn't, well not until the episode before the finale episode.
    Did Jason give his stepchildren any reason at all?

15. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    She didn't know till Alexis told her. I don't think Jason gave a reason - I don't think, anyway. I do recall one scene where Jeff asked Monica if she had seen Jason lately, but she just gave an awkward look... course I could be getting that confused with another scene where Jeff asked her if she had seen her son, Scott, lately.

Like I said in a few comments above, there's a link to a playlist with all of Sable's scenes (and some of Monica's) in season 9, so you can look through them all when you have the time. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +810
    I never believed Alexis had an affair with Jason, I think she said that to rub salt into Sable's wounds. I do believe she is responsible for Jason learning the truth about Miles and Monica's parentage.

I think Monica was the best choice to assume the reins at Colby Enterprises and don't understand why Connie would champion Jeff over her - unless she knew Monica wasn't his child and held it against her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,939
    Medals:
    Did he ask her that? I don't remember that scene at all to be honest. I thought they had forgotten the Scott thing.

18. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    Nope, they remembered Scott.

19. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Nope, no one remembered Scott on D.S9. They simply gave this Monica a nameless male child, whose father could have been the man in the moon.
    This Jeff enquired of Monica: "Your boy?" and "The senator?"
    Makes sense, since this Jeff never worked with Cash Cassidy in Colby Tower.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,200
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

o_O

• Like Like x 1