More of Chao-Li's family should have been in later FC.

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Falcon Crest I, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +595
    Wasn't Chao-Li like a genuine father figure to Lance? He tried to steer him in the right path in life and their tai chi martial arts moments were always pleasant to watch. Then there was Emma being treated like a daughter by Chao-Li. With all this considered should the China man's family been beefed up, maybe in season eight and have had less Ortegas around, to create room for them. A teenage grandson (Li-Ying's son) could have arrived on the doorstep, a trouble maker who grandfather Chao-Li would've had to keep in line. Slogging in the vineyards would have been part of this, a bit of the philosophy "Don't talk. Just Act. Don't say. Just show. Don't promise. Just prove."

• Like Like x 4
  2. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    A very good point Falcon Crest I. However with Michael Filerman replacing Jeff Freilich in season 8 a development to expand Chao-Li’s family in the show would seemingly have been a sensible option but Mr. Filerman had other fresh ideas. These ideas which came to fruition ended up being detrimental. With budget constraints taking effect not just on FC but also the other Lorimar shows season 8 understandably had a different feel.

Chao-Li got more to do in the Freilich seasons of 6 and 7. Yet when FC had the 200th show celebration under Michael’s control Chao-Li Chi wasn’t invited. This speaks volumes. Despite his renewed creative input after departing mid season 1 Michael Filerman’s early eighth season was in IMHO parts enjoyable but soon took a turn for the worst considerably e.g. Richard’s resurrection and Maggie at the Globe but not Melissa’s death.

Falcon Crest is now owned by Melissa and soon it will be Nick Agretti (her cousin) who controls the winery empire (albeit for a short stint). The formidable duo that is Angela and Chao-Li are breaking and entering into the mansion, during the night. Chao-Li equipped with a knife, is trying to gain access through a back window. Angela is getting impatient, (a scene from season 8, 1988 – ‘89):

Angela: “Oh, Chao-Li you are impossible!”

Chao-Li: “Perhaps my inner being is resisting burglary.”

• Like Like x 3
  3. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Chao-Li mentioned his two sons, in the 1989 to 1990 season but unfortunately they remained offscreen.

• Like Like x 3
  4. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +521
    I forgot about that. I always thought that they could have explored so much more with his family and ties to the Channing's. Could have been a great history missing.

• Like Like x 1