Morgan Woodward Dies Aged 93.

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by garry, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,052
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    RIP Morgan Woodward, another underrated actor from the movie and TV business. Lucky us who could enjoy his craft through our favorite series mainly "Dallas". Anyway, I never thought that the Katzmen were fair with him because they made Punk look a bit like the dumbest guy in the bunch of friends. I can imagine Jock teasing him in the early days...

I enjoyed very much the scenes you have mentioned above, especially when he told Miss Ellie about the scholarship and when he became the middle man in the fight for Ewing Oil. Though I just hated the way Katzman used him in the awful Parmalee storyline by making him almost believe Wes was actually Jock.

To be honest, I think that Mavis was a more layered character, maybe because she could interact with her friend Miss Ellie, and Punk only appeared when poor Jim Davis already was sick. They just had the Takapa business scenes to play together and the next time we saw him he was dealing with Ray in the Lubbock business and then reporting the Ewings about Jock´s accident.

But he didn´t seem to have a life aside from that: no children? no Punk Anderson Oil? no scene at their ranch? If we did know more things about that nympho Marilee Stone (including her love for young boy toys)! Or even more things about Sam Culver! As I said before, Mavis was a much nicer, believable character and the actress had great chemistry with BBG. Her last scene confessing to her about Punk´s affair with his secretary was very well-written and acted.

Another thing I didn´t like about Punk the character was how he suddenly became a friend or acquaintance of Clayton´s and Rebecca´s too. Everybody seemed to know those two except the Ewings. But Mr. Woodward played his scenes very well, and it was a shame they preferred to hire George Kennedy (who was a great actor but had to play the most stupid things to accommodate the contrived plots of the three last seasons).

Punk might have become a more profound character who was key to develop Miss Ellie further in the post-Jock seasons instead of just pairing her up with Clayton. And yes, the western flavor was what marked the difference between "Dallas" and the other soaps ("Yellow Rose" apart), and they obviously bet on Howard Keel´s appeal for his Hollywood past.

2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Saw this on Saturday but there seemed to be mixed reports. Someone on Twitter suggested it was a hoax, so I'm so sorry to read it is true :( He was such a lovely man and I adored him as Punk. Was just watching his scenes around the Wes Parmalee story last week. Rest in peace Mr Woodward. :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +265
    For the revival, the casting was all about eye candy. Some of the writing didn’t help, but neither did the casting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    That's what I thought when I went to look for official news stories on the death-- many of the sites still said he was alive, even Wikipedia (eventually Wikipedia was updated to reflect the death).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,262
    I'm in two minds about this. If we look back at Lorimar Dallas I'd say Patrick, Victoria and Charlene were eye candy. Charlene's lack of acting chops was the one weakness I found with the original Dallas cast. Flash forward to TNT Dallas and yes you could argue Josh, Jesse, Jordana and Julie were hired simply for eye candy but they could act. I agree there were weaknesses in the script however the actors could still deliver with a poor script.

I had concerns about Josh and Jesse in particular but given some great dialogue and direction these guys could act. The much discussed kitchen scene between Josh (John Ross) and Linda (Sue Ellen) is a case in point. By season three of TNT Dallas I thought the actors were beginning to settle in their roles and Josh was displaying multiple shades of John Ross.

And let's not allow Lorimar Dallas to get off scott free here. As Dallas began to climb in the ratings and it became sexier who could forget how much eye candy was on display. Sometimes my eyes would water at the flesh on display around the Southfork swimming pool.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Do you think we would lie to you Sarah?! Poor Morgan was battling cancer for seven years and put up a brave fight.

7. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I didn't say anyone lied. I'm just repeating what I saw on Twitter, with a few suggesting it was a hoax as it wasn't reported officially for quite a while....:think:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  8. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,220
    I didn't know he had cancer. 7 years is a long time to battle the disease. The Swedish press reported about his death yesterday. They referred to him as a Dallas actor or Dallas star.

This is not really the place for it but I strongly disagree with you when you say that Charlene can't act. I dare you to check out the episode Royal Marriage. I find it hard not to be moved by her performance in that episode.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I found Jesse Metcalfe and Josh Henderson awful. Charmless and charisma-free. I could never say that about Larry and Patrick.

Charlene and Victoria didn’t always give the best performances on the show, but they were appealing and likeable.

Jordana Brewster was the most appealing out of the lead quartet on TNT Dallas.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  10. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Morgan Woodward was very good as Punk Anderson, carrying an authority as Jock's mate. I was surprised to find out a few years back that he was still alive.

Character wise, Jock was born around 1909, Digger around 1912, Miss Ellie in 1915, Punk around the same as Miss Ellie, J.R. either 1936 or 1939 depending on the source (I prefer 1936), Gary 1943, Ray 1945, Bobby 1949, Lucy 1961. And for the other Barnes', Rebecca around 1929, Cliff in 1949 and Pam in 1953, with Rebecca walking away from Digger and the kids in 1954.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,220
    What do you base these years on?
    I am in agreement with you about Gary, Ray, Bobby, Lucy and well I have 1939 put down for JR. However I thought Pam was born in 1950 and I find it very hard to believe that Cliff and Bobby are supposed to be the same age. :eyes:

12. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Dallas: The Early Years for J.R.'s birth in 1936, when Miss Ellie would have been 21. 1936, rather than 1939, would also give a young child J.R. some years with Jock before his father left to fight in WW2, leaving a strong mark on a 6-year old J.R. and leaving him pining for his daddy's return as soon as possible. It doesn't really work with a 3-year-old J.R. in the same way. Gary in 1943 because he was conceived just before Jock went off to Britain to fight in WW2, and this played into the fact that Miss Ellie didn't have Jock with her when she carried Gary, when Gary was born, and even up to when Gary was around 2 years old, which also plays into Miss Ellie and Gary being very close while Jock and Gary had a certain unease and even distance. A 2-year-old Gary up to that point in his life would have had a lovely cosy and even spoilt life, and then along comes harsh Jock and the tough school. Ray's date of birth is actually mentioned in the episode when we find out that Jock is his father, in October 1945, fitting in with Ray being conceived when Jock was with Margaret in WW2.

Bobby's birth in 1949 is mentioned in Dallas. We know Pam's date of birth being 1953 from the fact that Eisenhower had won his first US Presidential election a few weeks before Digger killed Hutch (Eisenhower was elected first in November 1952, placing Hutch's death in December 1952, and Pam's birth sometime in the first half of 1953). We know that Rebecca was 17 when she met Digger, and that she left Digger, Cliff and Pam when Pam could walk but not talk, which we get from that scene when Rebecca recalled Pam walking over to Digger but that Cliff then revealed that it was Aunt Maggie that couldn't shut Pam up. Cliff mentioned that he was 5 when his mother left, placing his birth in 1949, same age as Bobby, and it fits that Cliff looks older and acts older because of the stresses of his life, the much poorer upbringing and his desire to avenge his father, going through law school and political campaigns and investigations with a single-minded determination etc., whereas Bobby was spoiled rotten by his family from birth onwards.

Lucy's birth in 1961 is easy to deduce. Gary was 17 nearly 18 when she was born, and Val around 16. It's also mentioned in Jock's Will (aired late 1982) that Lucy had just passed her 21st birthday.

Miss Ellie being born in 1915 fits in with Dallas The Early Years and is used in the TNT version with Miss Ellie passing away in 2001, which is earlier than Barbara Bel Geddes' death in 2005.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    What a lovely actor he was, Morgan Woodward.

Rest In Peace Sir.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  14. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +269
    so Punk died eh? honestly i had no idea he was even still around but 93 is a good age to go out on. he was a good actor, Punk never was a favorite character of mine but he was a good actor

15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    I think that Bobby is the only major character of O-R CBS Dallas to have been born in the same year as his portrayer (Patrick Duffy, soon to be threescore-and-ten).

16. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,772
    Medals:
    I'd add Big Jock Ewing and Jim Davis were both born in 1909.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1