1. Time for parties and celebration

People dancing all night long

Time for presents and exchanging kisses

Time for singing Christmas songs

Most covered songs by year/artist/author

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O’Kalikimaka, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Mel O’Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,460
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    First guess would be "White Christmas", then I'm also wondering if the song "Happy Birthday" is included and then I'm thinking "Happy Birthday" may well be the most sung song of all time and not covered.

3. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,460
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    This is very interesting and the first part I went to was the 80s :D
    I'm pleasantly surprised to see Depeche Mode in the mix and miffed ABBA feature pretty low down. I thought Bowie might have been higher and I'm shocked no appearance from Madonna (well in the top 100)

I wasn't too far off...:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    No indeed. There are certainly a lot of Christmas songs in the Top 100, aren't there? But strangely hardly any festive songs in 100-200.

I suppose even the most unorthodox of artists go to the standards when it comes to Christmas.

I think you're right.

And I went straight to the Seventies. We're both running true to form. ;)

I too was surprised there was no Madge in the top 100 (she's #188). Then it occurred to me that many of 100 most covered artists are probably there on the strength of one song, like Fred Astaire and Judy Garland probably are mainly there because of White Christmas and Over The Rainbow.

All the same, I was horrified to find that Donna Summer ranked at #957. :eek:

5. Emeliz Navidad
    Busy

Emeliz Navidad Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,728
    :lolo: they should probably had done one list with most covered Christmas songs and one excluding Christmas songs.

Feels like 50% of all artists have released at least 1 Christmas album, and most of them are just covers of the classics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    I suppose it has to do with Christmas being a time of traditions and comforting little rituals.

Somehow I haven't got bored of them and look forward to finding new versions of favourites that I like. But then I quite like standards and classics that have been frequently covered.

Looking at that list has reminded me why: there's something very special about the idea of a composition gaining immortality by being handed down and reinterpreted over the years. Stille Nacht! was written 199 years ago, but has never gone out of fashion. It originates from a time before songs were recorded, so they were designed to be performed by one person, then another, then another like a chain so that people could hear them. Rather than one definitive version, it would have been expected to be performed by many singers. So in a way, all these new Christmas classic albums continue the tradition of what pop music was a couple of centuries ago.

I dare say Gruber hoped his composition would reach a wider audience, but probably couldn't begin to imagine just how wide an audience each new interpretation would reach.

As a child, I had a Bontempi reed organ for Christmas one year, and Stille Nacht! was was the first song I learnt to play from the book that came with it (by correlating the numbers in the book with the numbers stuck behind the keys on the organ). So you could say that I continued the tradition with my own interpretation.

[​IMG]

It's amazing how these things linger in the memory. I can still remember the first sequence:

5-6-5-3
    5-6-5-3
    9-9-7
    8-8-5

7. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Original Member Since:
    About 2005
    Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Dont cry for me Argentina has been covered by about 70 artists or something like that? Sarah Brightman, Madonna (original and Spanglish dance mix), Julie Covington and Elaine Paige?? to name just a few...