Most shocking/surprising TV deaths

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Emelee, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Emelee
    Busy

Emelee Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    What are some of the more shocking or surprising deaths of characters that you've seen on TV?

One that comes to my mind is Denholm Reynholm on The IT Crowd. Also, most likely the funniest (!) deaths ever on TV. One of my all-time favorite TV scenes. But way too bad that they killed him off!!!!

What deaths (dramatic, unexpected, tragic, funny, shocking etc) come to your minds?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,993
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    True Blood took great delight in coming up with shocking death scenarios, often combining funny with gory (whether intentional or not). I didn't watch the entire series, but it seemed the seasons I got to see usually featured one or two such death scenarios.

Poor Tiffany---tough act to follow!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,821
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Blake & his crew – BLAKE’S 7

Shannon, Ana Lucia, Charlie, Sun & Jin - LOST

Ned Stark & Robb Stark – GAME OF THRONES

Matthew Crawleys – DOWNTON ABBEY

Rita - DEXTER

Teri Bauer – 24

Tara – SONS OF ANARCHY

Wil – THE GOOD WIFE

Tasha Yar – THE NEXT GENERATION

Andrea - THE WALKING DEAD

Hank - BREAKING BAD

Lindsey - LINE OF DUTY

Sarah -HOLLYOAKS

April - DALLAS

• Like Like x 6
  4. Willie Oleson
    Question

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Linda Fairgate (Knots Landing) - surprisingly brutal.
    Rosalind Shays (L.A. Law) - a real shocker.
    Maggie Gioberti (Falcon Crest) - because no-one thought they would ever do something like that.
    Annabelle (Flamingo Road) - the most horrific death scene, if only for the screaming.
    Annika's family (Who Pays The Ferryman) - when an evil plan goes terribly wrong.
    Sophia (The Walking Dead) - not surprising, but very shocking.
    That little crazy girl from TWD season 4 (killed by Carol, of all people)
    Mary Ingalls' baby (LHOTP) - outrageously cruel for a family drama.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,821
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Yes, that was a good one.

Shit, shit, shit !!

Why did I join this thread...??

:wall:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Willie Oleson
    Question

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    :hiding: (help!)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,993
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    Hey, Willie--Get out from behind that sofa! Just because Ome yells
    doesn't mean he's issuing instructions! :eek::eek:
    [/turns on a fan]

Ahem, anyway.....

Peter Campbell on Soap (played by Robert Urich) has the distinction of being shot, stabbed, suffocated, strangled, and bludgeoned to death in his shower. Of course the investigation and trial of the alleged killer was played for laughs, as was everything on Soap, and killing someone so...thoroughly?...had to be done mostly off-screen.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Willie Oleson
    Question

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    He didn't have to. He scared the sh*t out of me!:eck:

I also like to add the young man who was killed by Gillian Darmody in Boardwalk Empire. That was nasty.
    And how about Mary-Frances Sumner?

9. Emelee
    Busy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Revenge did one death that I didn't see coming. For the Season 3 ending, they stated that "someone will die". I took that to mean that only 1 character would be killed off. And when they killed off Aiden in the middle of the season finale, I took a big sigh of relief, as I was scared that they'd kill off Conrad. And what happens? They kill off him too, at the end of the episode. Show ruined for me. :eck::mad:

10. Emelee
    Busy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Among others.... While some deaths don't shock me (cause it's that kind of a show), some characters I am surprised how/when they kill off. But in the beginning of the show, I most certainly was shocked to see main characters get killed off. Before starting to understand the show more and more. Ned & Robert were shockers. Season 1, and they kill off the two characters who are credited first in the opening. :eck:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,993
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    I admit the Maggie Gioberti thing left me close to tears. Other than Emma, Maggie was my favorite FC character and was the moral center of a show that desperately needed such a character. No wonder the show ended up so dark and amoral in its final season.

• Like Like x 2
  12. i love jr ewing

i love jr ewing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +331
    Original Member Since:
    The off screen death of Ziva in the season 13 finale of NCIS.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +342
    Original Member Since:
    Labor Day Weekend 2005
    Lt. Col. Henry Blake

14. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,993
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    The brutal stalking and murder of Mary Frances "Frankie" Frame, which played out over two hour-long episodes of Another World. It wasn't enough to just have the killer do the deed off-screen, or to 'downplay' the situation (she was actually the victim of an off-screen budget cut); they had her going down fighting and begging for her life. Totally inappropriate for daytime TV in 1996.

The only bright spots in this nightmare of a story decision was that both the Executive Producer and the Head Writer were fired due to the controversy. Still, the damage was done and the show never really recovered.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Richard Channing
    Cool

Richard Channing Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,064
    Original Member Since:
    December 21st, 2013
    I thought Chip's death on Knots Landing was pretty shocking. It must be one of the most graphic deaths on any of the soaps and could easily have come right out of an 80's horror flick.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,993
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    I loved the grisly way Chip got killed off. I mean, it set the tone for later, similarly-bizarre death scenarios for villainous characters. It became a sort of trademark for KL to kill off their villains in more interesting ways. If not for Chip getting to the point, we may not have had a) Joshua falling off that roof and going *splat*; b) Peter being introduced to that receipt spindle by Paige; c) Danny getting his fingers slammed in a door, which ultimately led to his falling in the pool and drowning; d) Linda getting filleted by Brian Johnston; and even e) Jill choking on her own vomit while tied up in the trunk of Gary's car.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Original Member Since:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG]
    I won´t repeat your choices so I´ll try to use my memory:

- Nicole Chapman (Nia Peeples) on "Fame": She wanted out for the usual reasons but didn´t know what was ahead for her character. The most charismatic character of the series since Valerie Landsburg´s Doris left, Nicole was killed off in a mid-season episode of the last year, and off-screen. Suddenly, they said she had been killed in a car accident because the driver, one of his friends (and, conveniently, a non-recurring character), was drunk after a party they attended.

The result was a bleak, depressing episode where they treated the subject of "don´t drive drunk" (minus the Stevie Wonder song), since this was the intention of the then completely oblivious network bosses. The remaining episodes of that final season introduced new characters who, of course, couldn´t make the fans forget Nicole and Nia, who probably was the only young star left who could dance, sing and act, all wonderfully. She went on to star in "Walker Texas Ranger", "Pretty Little Liars" and a few B-movies, and even today, she´s a gorgeous, multi-talented woman.

upload_2016-11-5_12-26-24.jpeg

There also was a sense of unavoidable fate in those latter episodes (like happened with both "Dallas" and "Falcon Crest") that lead to the also unavoidable cancelation of the TV series. What was worse is that Nicole was never mentioned again after her death´s episode, and everybody and their mother returned for the final episode ever, except those who were sort of "over" the show: Janet Jackson and Lori Singer. Not even in that episode Nicole was remembered by her ex-boyfriend Jesse...

upload_2016-11-5_12-32-33.jpeg

- If we have to consider miscarriages as deaths, then I´d say that Maddie´s miscarriage on "Moonlighting" was a total shock to me. After 3 seasons of "Will they / won´t they", and one season of Maddie considering if she should marry Dave or her new beau, the Season 5 Premiere featured one of the cruelest plots ever: Bruce Willis was shown as Maddie´s fetus inside the womb (really! see pic above!) and, after a very imaginative, funny hour with clips and all, suddenly, Maddie begins to feel pain and faints, and then she is told she has lost Dave´s baby. That was the last straw for the series, which never recovered from that. Season 5 was its last, of course, and there was no spark between the leads anymore.

- Of course, of all the "Knots Landing" deaths, Laura´s was the most devastating to me, but at least this was handled well plot-wise (if not for the actress...). Some of the most heartbreaking scenes of the show come from the episodes dealing with this, and McCashin did her best acting there, which was no surprise for the audiences since she was a strong actress all the way.

[​IMG]

- I also was rather shocked by Nate´s death on "6 Feet Under", because he supposedly was cancer-free in previous seasons. But that was no surprise in such a magnificent show like that one, and death was undoubtedly its main subject. Lili Taylor´s character´s death also was a big surprise, though, let´s be honest, who liked her when she died...? (oh Lisa, how we hated ye...)

upload_2016-11-5_12-46-38.jpeg

- Also very sad was the "non-death" of Sara, Michael´s girlfriend, whose head was literally found in a box, on "Prison Break". After that, one just could only guess that she wouldn´t appear again, but actually it was not Sara´s head in that box...in a "deus ex machina" move that sort of "touched" the show´s credibility the way it happened with "Dallas" after Bobby´s "resurrection". Michael´s death also was very sad but, you know, he wasn´t dead either!! That´s what the upcoming sequel will try to make us believe. Though, who doesn´t want a series with two gorgeous hunks like Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell? Who needs a decent plot here...?

- A few more shocking deaths:

- Brody (Damien Lewis) on "Homeland" (not really unexpected but...);
    - Patriarch Bill (Pullman) on "Big Love" (this one really was unexpected but well-handled);
    - Anne Boleyn (Natalie Dormer) on "The Tudors" (kudos to the actress for this, because it probably was the least surprising death in TV history, as were those of the other wives of King Henry VIII);
    - Ma Petite (Jyoti Amge) on "AHS: Freak Show" (you had to be heartless to not be sorry for her);
    - Charlie (Dominic Monaghan) on "Lost" (right time for killing off a good character, which is unusual!);
    - Gary (Peter Horton) on "30something": After spending the whole series suffering for Nancy´s (Pat Wettig) future due to her cancer, once she was healed, the writers killed off gratuitously one of the most endearing characters of the show in its last season. Low blow people. You did deserve the cancelation after all.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Emelee
    Busy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    One death that I really didn't understand - and therefore did not expect was on Desperate Housewives
    Register or to view Spoiler content!
    Sooooo close to the ending. All except 1 of the wives got a happy end. I was like WTF?! I was never a fan of this character, so I wasn't gutted or anything. I was simply just surprised that they did that.

Captain Rolf Dahlén on Rederiet (Swe. primetime soap) was a shocker. I loved him and he was one of the major characters. I was so sad.

Bimbo (ironic nickname) on Tre Kronor (another Swe. primetime soap). Holy heck noooo!!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Willie Oleson
    Question

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Kenny from South Park. He was officially dead for a few seasons. I think he died from the flu.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Original Member Since:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    You mean that he died "died" or died as in "you killed Kenny, you bastard!"?

upload_2016-11-6_0-44-51.jpeg

• Like Like x 1