Mostly accurate seasonal reviews from jacksonupperco

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,615
  2. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,933
    I'm really enjoying these. For the most part he is pretty spot on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    I can't with anyone who isn't completely trashing season 7.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,632
    Is this why you hate me? Dear, sweet tommie...

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I still say Mathew and Lindsay could have worked in 02, but the "Upstairs, Downstairs" angle was gone, sadly.

6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,615
    He is a bit too dismissive of the Blaisdels in Season 1.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    That's when I stopped reading.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,615
    The Three Phases of Lindsay:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    I think the Blaisdels were a Denver family, but not necessarily the downstairs family to Blake's upstairs family. It wasn't really about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Yes, the author obviously just wanted the Carrington glamor and not the realism of the Blaisdell's.

11. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I imagine Lindsey still out there somewhere crying...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,632
    But behind the mask that hides her horrifically scarred face nobody will ever know. So she sits, alone in the dark, in her suite in the Carlton. Watching home movies of a happier time, when her parents loved each other, and her. A time before the Carringtons ruined her life. Ripped it at the seams, just like those jungle cats ripped at her face....
    [​IMG]

Too much?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    That makes me think of an old video I saw where various people were criticizing a politician (I think), and a grown-up Katy Kurtzman was in it, and she cheerfully gave the finger. I wish I could find that video, but I can't. :(

14. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Love!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    I remember reading these in 2017, and there were things I agreed with overall, though understandably there were also points of disagreement. For example, for season 9, I agreed that "the Nazi treasure angle is eyeroll-worthy" and when I first saw it I thought it was DYNASTY having lost its head completely. It is a huge mountain of disbelief we have to suspend, but at the same time when we hear about Alexis that "she was married to a Carrington, a Colby, and a Dexter, and now she will destroy all three families" we get what a unifying storytelling power the angle has. But where I really agree with the writer is that for season 9 there is a sense of humor, and "this sense of humor, along with a self-awareness that this show has never had, is a crucial part of what distinguishes the season from its eight predecessors."

I have many DYNASTY loving friends who hated season 9, and I must say that at first I was also taken aback by it. Yet the writer keeps comparing the show to seasons 1 and 2 and finds it lacking, but (as I eventually realized) Paulsen was actually taking the show into the 90s: some of the sequences of Fallon dreaming about Roger Grimes are prescient of Twin-Peaks era sensibilities, and he had created a plot which made me excited to keep on watching the never-to-be season 10. I had stopped caring about these characters other than watching them out of habit since Blake almost strangled Alexis.

I also think their assessment of the show as not being able "to handle itself" is right on the money. With the example of season 3's later episodes, they talk about how the show simply burns through plot instead of having the characters go through the repercussions of events. I mean, if you think about it, very little happens in season 1 until Ted Dinard, but the show was able to create dramatic moments out of Krystle's confrontation with Joseph or out of Blake taking Krystle to the pawn shop. By later seasons planes crush, terrorists invade, tennis pros are flung off a balcony, but the characters don't even have a stomach ache in the morning over events.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,615
    The DYNASTY lovers who hated Season 9 generally hated it because it actually had a plotline. Most of the seasons really didn't.

So they wound up projecting the sins of S3 thru S8 onto the year that created the contrast.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,615
    And I really have to fall back here on my complaints about the Static Acting Directive from Season 3 thru Season 8 -- something Leann Hunley verified in 1988 but had seemed so obvious long before she spilled the beans.

I've been marathon watching S3 thru S5 over the last couple of weeks, and while S.A.D. doesn't hit me in the face like it once did --- largely because I'm just so damned used to it -- it still strikes as much as ever as having had such a devastating effect on DYNASTY because it makes the writing, never exactly perfect, seem so much worse than it sometimes actually was.

Most television series, at least up to more recent years, tended to have flaws, mistake, gaffes, lack of cohesion, incongruities going on because the writers are working terribly quickly and not always on the same page, as it were, with one another. But when the actors are free to flesh out the scripts in an unencumbered fashion, it can really offset the narrative problems pretty significantly.

Look at Seasons 2 and 3 of FALCON CREST, probably the best that series ever got. The writing was competent, but there were all sorts of meandering little stories and scenes which could have gone off the rails, but it worked, and the actors had a lot to do with that. Even Season 2 of DYNASTY, arguably the defining year of the show and the most focused it ever was, had those goofy, pointless story elements like Steven's brief racing career and Logan Rhinewood, but that season also totally worked due to confidence and chutzpah --- and a lot of that was because the actors were still allowed to play it naturally.

But once S.A.D. kicked in beginning with Season 3, even when the plots were acceptable and the scenes are okay-ish, there is this weird, nagging feeling that there's just something wrong with the scene in question, even when you can't put your finger on it. (Let alone when it's overtly obvious). It's just this neurotic stiffness assigned to every possible moment; even though it varies from place to place, it's ever-present.

In my opinion, it's at the core of what destroyed the series. It's the one key ingredient which kept pushing the scenes and the show overall into perpetually-unconvincing territory.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    While it didn't help, the writing is so off the rails by the middle of season four, that I don't know what the actors could have done. I guess the characters would feel a bit more alive, but there were so many other things that were wrong--it is like that scene of Krystle, in S302 lying in a gown and reading Architectural Digest and drinking ice tea. So many things are wrong with it, so out of character for her and even for DYNASTY (the Carringtons were not supposed to be sitting on their asses) Somebody decided a whole aesthetic of the show, and the Static Acting Directive was a big part of it, but the whole aesthetic was perverse.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,659
    And what a difference going less than half a season back makes. Krystle lying on the same piece of furniture in the master bedroom in a beautiful gown (in 2x15 as she seeks refuge from an eventful party downstairs while battling migraine), you get an equally pleasing visual effect, and yet it's a most natural of scenes, nothing stilted about it.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1