1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies you thought actually happened

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sarah, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,114
    The one that springs to mind for me is the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. For years I believed this actually happened and was (in a way) grossly disappointed to find out it hadn't. Part of me wants to believe there is a spooky little area of Texas that has a chainsaw wielding maniac. Having driven through parts of Texas in the dark, I could sort of believe it. (No offence, I love Texas).

Another would be The Blair Witch Project. When it first came out it was the first that I remember in the genre that had you believe this actually happened. Only when people started to imitate it did you think, 'hang on a second...' and with the advance of the internet and seeing pictures of its stars online you think 'is she not supposed to be missing?'

Are there any movies that you thought upon first watching...were real??

[​IMG]

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,010
    Somebody had to tell me that The Celestine Prophecy book wasn't supposed to be real.

Not that I thought that is was.

Never saw the movie.

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,155
    I tried to convince the lady at the video rental shop that it wasn't real, but she had seen the "documentary" and therefore she continued to disagree with me.
    The whole argument was so bizarre, and to me personally the best thing that came from that movie.

• Like Like x 1
  4. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +338
    my god was the blair witch project an awful film. i hate found footage films to each their own for those who like it. but i bought the damn dvd when it 1st came out i had it for years and watched it 2-3 times HOPING my mind would change cause all i heard was on how good it was. nope my mind never changed and i ended up getting rid of the dvd. i did buy it the day it came out in fact. at i think our Sam's Club back than, Texas Chainsaw was loosely based off Ed Gein who is real. some of the stuff i think is based off real life events but the story itself is fiction. kinda like how Norman Bates also is i think based off Ed Gein too.

my favorite story is there's a film called "Cannibal Holocaust' it's prolly i think the 1st found footage film from about (1980) and it was a hit but one wonders why that film didn't spawn copy cats back than? yeah there were a ton of cannibal films. but this one was partly shot on shot on shitteo. the rest was a standard camera.

i've never seen it but that's a film that the director said to the cast, for this to work you have to go into hiding so they did and the director ended up being accused of killing his cast so he had to have his cast come out of hiding just to prove they weren't killed. that's was a brilliant way to do it even though the film isn't my cup of tea.

it wasn't based off anything true but it got people to believe it was true. than you have Amityville Horror, that one is a bit tricky as some say it is haunted and some say it isn't. well there have been numerous people who lived there for years who didn't have anything happen to them or else i think they would have left the house. so i think that story is false though it did make for a really great book that the author himself did later reveal he lied in it and added his own stuff in it to make the book scarier. it worked cause it's a creepy ass book. i never did get around to reading the 2nd book though. which i think was proven to be false as well as the 3rd book was i think too. what was true was that dude did kill his family in (1974) what i find really funny is that the 2nd film in that series takes places in (1974) and he's got a walkman yet those weren't even around back than. the film came out in (1982) okay fine but the film took place in (1974) it fit into the story yeah but i just have to laugh about it that's all.

as for Blair witch i remember that documentary it showed on Sci-fi channel back when it was still a great channel compared to the crap it is now. i did think it actaully did happen for a time and this was before i saw the film and was informed that no it didn't happen. honestly i wasn't sure if it was true or not.

• Like Like x 1