1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-Universe Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Herofan, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    We have had threads about whether we would like to forget the last few seasons of Dallas or the TNT series. There are other shows and movies that have the idea of an alternate universe or a multiverse.

I thought it was very interesting that current super-hero shows on CW had episodes that incorporated characters from past superhero show and films, which explains why there has been more than one Superman over the years. They even found a spot for Burt Ward who was Robin in the old Batman.

My question is, in your mind, do you ever think along those lines with all the different incarnations of Dallas. I don’t even have to go to TNT, but to the beginning mini-series.

It’s interesting that their house was totally different in the mini series, and the sons lived in their own small houses at Southfork instead of in the main house. It’s interesting that some things can be referenced from the miniseries, like Pam’s miscarriage, but Pam can never say, “Hey Bobby, remember when we first got married and we had our own little house at Southfork?” When Gary returns in season one, he can’t say, “what happened to my house?” He can’t ask, because it never existed when season one started.

2. Herofan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I’m a bit tongue-in-cheek on the alternate universe Dallas, but I do find what I mentioned above to be interesting. I know just about every show has continuity issues and such, but something about that stands out, especially since the miniseries and season 1 are so close in time. It’s not as if a couple decades passed, and there is not even a far out way to explain it. One can’t say they moved.

3. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Fan EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Continuity is often an issue in the first episodes of TV shows when they’re still trying to figure things out. For example, in the first episode of the Cosby Show they had 4 kids. A few episodes later they had 5.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Herofan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    That is true. I don’t know why the different mansion and separate houses for the sons from the mini series stands out so much to me; it just does.

5. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,454
    and sometimes seemingly important early characters just disappear into thin air, never to be mentioned, like Cousin Jimmy Monahan in Dallas and Older Brother Chuck Cunningham in Happy Days

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Herofan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    If I recall correctly, the “red files” were a big deal in the mini series. After that, I remember in episode one of the first season, JR is recording something by the pool and mentions the red files. I’m not sure they were ever mentioned again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,462
    There's also the oft-discussed Knots parallel universe in which Bobby stayed dead (well, mostly, anyway).

Well, in the latter part of Season One there was The Red Files two-parter in which Julie Grey was killed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Fan EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Can’t really blame them for that one. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Herofan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I had forgotten about that one. I believe that was the last mention of red files wasn’t it? Anyway, it wasn’t something that went throughout the entire series even though it seemed important i the beginning.

10. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    That's because the Red Files storyline was resolved in that two-parter.

According to David Jacobs, he just tossed a couple of references to the Red Files into the mini-series without really knowing what it was. He was really impressed when Katzman and co later picked up on it and turned it into something significant.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Herofan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    It’s been a long time since I saw that episode, so I can’t remember specifics. I just recall that, in general, the red files was where all the information from the latest, most important deals was placed. I don’t recall JR ever asking sly to get him the red files. Did they make a point to do away with the red-file concept in the episode with Julie?

12. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    Yes, exactly.

13. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,556
    We've also previously discussed the idea that the "dream" was real and Bobby's return was in an alternate universe.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Herofan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Oh, that’s interesting too. Of course, we all realize tv and movies are fiction; I get it; however, when so much weirdness and different versions of something comes along, it gets more difficult to just brush it off and enjoy it. People talk of how the dream season was so ridiculous, but was it much worse than TNT? With all the alterations it made, either it was a dream series, or the original series was a dream, or They were alternate universes. At least on the superhero shows, they have alternate universes and changing the time-line to explain differences. On non- super- hero shows, I guess we are just supposed to pretend we don’t notice.

• Like Like x 1