My bestfriend has been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alexis, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,405
    I'm so sorry for your loss. It's little consolation but at least your grandmother is at peace. You must think of her as she was before her illness, and remember her that way.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    I'm sorry about your grandma @Edie70

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Thank you, guys. It was such a weird situation because I found out that she had kept her illness a secret for almost five years. She visited a dermatologist back in 2014 who sent her to the surgeons with a warning that it might or might not be a cancer (there was a weird mole on her lower back and then it started bleeding and itching). The same surgeon who could have saved her life back in 2014 (she was scheduled for a surgery and then decided to lie to them about "another opinions" and ignored the whole thing which made me incredibly angry when I found out after reading some papers from the surgeon who said it was inoperable in the end).

And @Alexis is right - I try to remember her like a vibrant, eccentric, sort of cold, distant and loud lady she used to be. She didn't really like me or my mom but we were (ironically) the ones who took excellent care of her in the end, I even cancelled all of my scheduled jobs and performances back in early January (my "celebrated" aunts live miles away and they only called when they wanted her to watch their kids or use her as their own personal ATM - both of them never really took her cancer seriously and were convinced that she would survive and things would return to normal in a few months which was selfish as hell, yet they were always the best in her eyes which is very weird when I think about it now). Things got very bad at the end.

By the way, it really is a miracle that we can walk on our own, pee on our own, eat, talk, swallow ... and we take it for granted until it's too late.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    May I ask what kind of performances?

5. Edie70

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Yes, of course @Willie Oleson ;) mostly acting on stage in various theatres (and voice acting - dubbing) ...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Unfortunately I get what you mean. I was very close to my grandparents and I saw those functions being robbed from them little by little towards the end of their lives. We do take a lot of things for granted in life and we should be grateful for every single day that we are healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    Sometimes people dislike you because they secretly think you're better people than themselves. So it would make some sense that you wound up being the ones who cared for her.

Of course, I'm just theorizing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,405
    On Wednesday my friend finally had her last chemotherapy treatment. All seems to have been going well. She didn't even need to have any blood transfusions as she was able to keep her haemoglobin levels high enough though her diet alone. She really ate properly all the way through treatment. No sugar, no fizzy drinks, no caffeine, lots of fruit and veg and fish and hardly any red meat at all. Along side the chemotherapy she also took a lot of natural/herbal based treatments and supplements too. She was lucky in that her nausea was limited despite aggressive chemo and she didn't suffer from mouth ulcers and skin breaks in her mouth and that kind of thing.

Really I think her direct positivity has had an incredible bearing on her body. She told me she has no alternative. She has to get well, she's not doing it for herself. She's doing it for her daughter. She told me that any hint of negative thought has to be obliterated. I am immensely proud of her and how she has went through all of this and with a great attitude, a sense of humour and not let it derail her life.
    Before she had been diagnosed she had signed a lease on little 2 bedroom house for her and her daughter near the school her daughter would be going to. Like literally 2 weeks before she was told she had cancer. At that time it was obviously impossible for her to move and during treatment she went to live with her parents. A few weeks ago we went and got most of her stuff moved into her little house. And she's now moving in, her daughter starts school in September.

She will have a scan in about a months time to see if she is cancer free. Even if she is, she knows that although her cancer is usually treatable and can be wiped out, that it can comeback. And it can return very quickly. It's a very fast growing cancer. There are a lot of check up's and scans ahead but she's completed her treatment and without complications and delays and infections.

She's went from being about a UK size 4 at time of diagnosis to a 10. Although a fair bit of that is from the steroids she was taking during treatment. She just looks so much more healthy, despite having poison pumped into her for 6 months. Now that treatment has stopped she'll go back to her regular size 8. In a few months we're planning a little break away for her, her family and some close friends.

For me it's all been too fast, work, hospital dates, looking after her daughter and trying to squeeze some normalcy in as well. It was the blink of an eye really. I know it was not at all like that for her.

I just wanted to update and let you all know.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Edie70

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I'm very glad to hear that @Alexis! You're an excellent friend. Thanks for the update.

10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,405
    I have put off writing this. My cousin didn't have great news after her scan. Sadly the cancer is still there, it's still in the areas it was, it's only dissipated a little. Initially they were going to do another biopsy but now they have said they aren't doing that as it's too risky with where they needed to do it. Now she's going to have more chemo sessions. This time she's going to be in hospital for about a week at a time. She goes in on Monday, and will have chemo for 3 days at a time, all day and night. Then she will have a few days recovery in hospital and then be home for 2 weeks and then repeat the cycle. After this session of chemo she will likely have a stem cell transplant too.

This was such a kick in the balls to everyone. Especially with how positive the doctors had been. It just didn't ever seem that this would be an option. Her hair had started to grow back, she had eyebrows and was just generally so happy and positive. Trying to keep that mindset now will be tough but it's essential. This chemo is going to be gruelling, much worse than she had before. She has to have her Pic line put back in too. I will be working on the Monday and Tuesday but I'm going to go stay over at the hospital when I finish.

I will update as and when I can.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 9
  11. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    Alexis, that's such a shame that the scan results didn't bring more positive news but stay strong. They clearly still think it's treatable and although the chemotherapy might be gruelling there's every reason to believe that the outcome will be successful.

Your cousin is fortunate to have someone like you supporting her during what must be a very difficult time for her.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    That really sucks. Just when you thought it was over. Tell her to keep fighting she can beat this!