My Idea For A Dallas Film

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Angela Channing, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,648
    After what I consider to be the awful reboot of Dallas that TNT delivered, I think if there is to be another Dallas revival it should be a film, either made for TV or a big budget cinema release.

As so many of the original cast are now either quite old or sadly have died, the film would have to be with a new cast. To tie it in with the original series it would start with footage taken from the end of season 12 when Sue Ellen shows JR the film she made, only this time we see all the film which would be formed from weaving together reworked versions of classic scenes from the series into a new storyline. This way all the original characters could appear, old fans would get to see updated version of some of their favourite scenes and new fans would get a new coherent, compelling story of power play and relationships in the Texas oil business.

After the film within the film ends, we cut back to the footage of the final scene of season 12 when Sue Ellen leaves JR in the screening room. We then flash forward to the present day and an older Sue Ellen is in a bar drinking. An elderly couple enter the bar and Sue Ellen notice they look the same as the actor and actress that played Jock and Ellie in her film. She looks around the bar and all people in there look like the principle characters from her film (the actors that played Bobby, Pam, Cliff, Ray, Lucy etc.). The bar tender then asks Sue Ellen if she would like another drink, she stares at him because he looks like the actor who played JR.

The film then ends and we are left not knowing if everything really happened or whether it was just a figment of Sue Ellen's drunken imagination.

• Creative Creative x 3
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    Interesting idea for a movie Angela Channing.

Although I'd much rather have a TV movie or five part mini-series picking up after Dallas TNT to tie up the mess the show left us with.
    Also I just can't picture other actors in the roles made famous by the Dallas cast. To me it wouldn't be Dallas without them. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,648
    I know what you mean but the actors wouldn't be playing the original roles but playing actors playing the original characters. This format would allow the surviving original cast to appear in the film playing their original characters too.

4. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    Well yeah but it still wouldn't tie up any of the loose ends that Dallas TNT left us with. So I'd rather have a reunion movie that picks up after that.

5. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,648
    One of the reasons why I suggested the film should be based at the time of season 12 was so TNT Dallas can be ignored because I don't consider it to be real Dallas.

6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,897
    [​IMG]

I'd like to see a series based on "The Making Of A Dallas Movie". Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray will play themselves as consultants/executive producers.

Patrick Duffy doesn't get along with the actor who plays the new "Bobby" and this causes a lot of trouble on the set.
    Linda Gray discovers that the actress who plays the new "Sue Ellen" is a real alcoholic, how's she going to deal with that?
    More drama when an actor thinks he's auditioning for the role of NuAdam Carrington.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,566
    Yes, an interesting idea but ultimately a movie about the screening of a movie which may not actually exist doesn't sound very satisfying.

Like Karin, I'd rather see something that continues the story.

8. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Perhaps a reunion movie with flashbacks to the events of 1951 to 1978. They could use the cast from the Early Years. They would now be about the ages of the 51 versions of themselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,897
    And then...you're satisfied? I think fans will always find an excuse to want more, and that's probably the essence of the soap format.
    There could be a reunion movie but why not a second one, or a series derived from the movie - and so it goes on and on.

10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    Good question. I think I would have been satisfied if JR Returns had been the ending and the Julia character had been Pam. I have a feeling that she might have been in the first draft of the script as I read way back in 1995 that VP would return too and then it said she wanted to read the script before she decided and I guess the script wasn't to her liking since she obviously didn't come back for that one. I would have wanted a happy ending to the show.

But I do see your point. There's something about Dallas that is so special that a part of me never want the show to end for good... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,566
    By "something" I of course meant an ongoing series that would last forever. :D

• Agree Agree x 1