1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on The Colbys

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by ClassyCo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    On a previous forum I started here under the Dynasty II: The Colbys banner, I was encouraged to give my thoughts on this short-lived spin-off series. Instead of giving potentially long responses on the other forum, I decided to dedicate an entirely new one to my thoughts on this series.

I must forewarn you that I have never written any forum such as this, so please bare with me. I've read several of them, but I'm sure I won't be nearly as gifted as those that have had much more experience at writing these "my thoughts" forums.

Episode 1: "The Celebration"
    I have exactly watched this episode twice --- not both times in the same sitting, but I watched it some months ago, and to get me back into the show with a fresh start I decided to start completely over (rewatching one episode isn't a big deal).

Anyways, the first thing I noticed right away was this show has a very noticeable "Dynasty" feel to it, and that's understandable since it's spin-off. However, as the episode progressed, I felt The Colbys slowly established something different from its successor. And despite the similarities between some of the characterizations, I feel this show is somehow different overall from the parent show.

The beginning of the show has powerful businessman Jason Colby (Charlton Heston) giving a press conference on his property in Los Angeles, California. As he ventures inside, he discusses with his wife Sable (Stephanie Beacham) about their irresponsible son Miles (Maxwell Caulfield), while Sable herself is upset that Jason's sister Constance (Barbara Stanwyck) has given her 50% share holdings in Colby Enterprises to the family's "long lost relative" Jeff (John James). Meanwhile, Constance phones Lady Francesca Colby Hamilton (Katharine Ross), Jeff's estranged mother, and encourages her to return to Los Angeles and "get to know her son again" as well as provide him with the "support he's going to need".

In the midst of all this, Miles is off on a pleasure vacation of sorts with this mystery woman "Randall" (Emma Samms) (the "real" Fallon Carrington). The main reason Jeff has agreed to come to California is to find out if this woman he saw cruising with Miles in Denver is really his ex-wife Fallon, who was believed to have died in a plane crash some year or so before. Jason tries to make Jeff his "errand boy", while Miles' twin sister Monica (Tracy Scoggins) pleads desperately with her father, Jason, to let her be is "spy" on the Carringtons dealings in China. At the outskirts of all this, there is the youngest Colby offspring Bliss (Claire Yarlett), whose boyfriend isn't liked by her father; Zachary Powers (Ricardo Montalban), who is apparently going to be a vengeful villain for Jason; and Constance has raced off to the country for an evening with her cowboy lover, Hutch Corrigan (Joseph Campanella).

Near the end of the episode, Miles arrives at the party welcoming "cousin Jeff" to the Colby world, and he introduces "Randall" as "Mrs. Miles Colby" just before the screen freezes and the episode goes off.

From what I've seen thus far (and that's only been one episode), I honestly believe this show is showing some promise. It seems Stephanie Beacham is going to give prime time diva Joan Collins a run for her money here, while Katharine Ross seems as if she's going to be the "good" to Beacham's "evil". As many of you may already know, I am not Barbara Stanwyck's biggest fan, but I am confident that I am going to like her as Constance --- I really don't know what it is, but I'm optimistic about this. I have never seen Charlton Heston in anything else so this will basis on how I judge his work, which may or may not be fair, but logical so far.

There were some things about this episode that struck me as a tad off, though. First, I'm iffy about this emerging Jeff/"Randall"/Miles love triangle. It's not that I don't like Miles, or Jeff, or "Randall", it's just I don't know if I am going to enjoy this story. Jeff and Fallon's romantic difficulties (on Dynasty, and with Pamela Sue Martin in the role) were never my favorite storylines per se. Separately, I enjoyed Fallon and Jeff, but all the on-off relationship trauma just didn't fit will with me. Also, I didn't particularly care for the scene in which "Randall" was almost raped. I mean how stupid could she be --- she opens the door and has no idea who's on the other side! She asked if it was Miles, and one would think that since he didn't answer, it wasn't him. And I wasn't too enthused about Miles' macho boy fist swings and punches against the drunken attempted raper. Maybe I'm being too picky, but...

Two other things that seem a little weird right are... 1) Bliss seems completely out of her place here. I know she's a sibling and heir to the Colby wealth, but she just isn't fitting in, or at least not in this first episode anyhow. That's my impression. And 2) I don't know if I'm going to like Constance's "fling" with this cowboy. Too early to tell for sure on both I know, but that's my thoughts thus far.

Now there were things I did like in this opening episode for sure. I am already hooked on Sable and I am just itching to know what Jason is hiding from her. I know she doesn't know about his illness, but I'm sensing that's not all he's hiding. And I think I'm going to love all the aftermath of Francesca returning, and the shock it's going to be when "Randall" learns she's really... Well, you know.

I hope you enjoyed this. As I said above, this is my first attempt at writing a forum such as this. In the future all of my responses may not be as long, and I might even combine thoughts on more than one episode at a time. Thanks for reading...

• Like Like x 5
  2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +655
    Do you plan to go on or have you given up? Don't be discouraged if there's response fatigue. Folk are reading.

Edit: Sorry, it didn't register on me that you started this thread this month, just 2 weeks ago.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    I don't know if I will continue in all honesty. I haven't watched beyond maybe the fourth episode of the show as of yet, and I don't always have time to just sit down and type out my "thoughts" on episodes. If I get to soon, I will type something up perhaps.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +655
    No probs. You say you're already hooked on Sable & haven't seen Charlton Heston in anything else.... out of curiosity, to help me have an idea of what might have shaped your thoughts of the opening episode of The Colbys series, did you watch those Dynasty episodes which introduced the new Colby characters to its narrative?

• Like Like x 1
  5. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    Yes, I have seen the Dynasty episodes that introduced the Colby clan. Which I have watched all the way up to the end of Season 6 of Dynasty.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1