1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New CW Dynasty in Atlanta...

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by bmasters9, Sep 5, 2017.

1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,105
    One thing I've been wondering about this newer CW Dynasty:

Why is this newer one Southern-fried (supposedly, being set in Atlanta), whereas the original-recipe ABC one from 1981-89 was two time zones over in Denver?

2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,432
    Medals:
    Honestly I think it's probably to do with being cheaper to film there or The CW get some sort of incentive for doing so. The way a lot of US shows used to film in Canada because it was cheaper.
    I doubt the creators did it as a creative choice, at least not initially. And just wait for the Atlanta setting meaning absolutely nothing. Just like Denver Colorado.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,105
    I saw it on another thread that it was possibly because the creators wanted to make it like the classic film Gone With The Wind-- is that true?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,432
    Medals:
    Absolutely and categorically not. Not Schwartz and Savage on The CW. No... Never.

Like I say, tax breaks or incentives and also they probably thought they could draw in the Empire audience. Hence the Colbys now being African American.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,747
    Medals:
    I said that, but I'm snarky.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,877
    Medals:
    As Alexis said, it's a tax incentive thing. I've seen a few articles now, talking about the Atlanta production boom in both TV and film. The CW shot the bulk of their pilots there this year and previous series The Vampire Diaries was filmed there too, so the CW presumably have a good deal to shoot in Georgia.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,018
    Medals:
    Exactly - I doubt this was a creative choice.

But looking at the good side, at least shooting where the show is supposed to be set will give them freedom to show off the city, unlike original Dynasty which seemed to deny that it was supposed to be in Denver.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,898
    Always thought that was such an odd thing with Dynasty. At least with Dallas we knew exactly where the series was established. The ranch (Southfork) became a character itself. Did the Dynasty cast ever shoot location scenes in Denver? On the odd occasion when I watched Dynasty and Alexis was decked out in all her fur finery I hoped the producers were kind enough to have the studio air-conditioning ratcheted up a notch to keep the poor dear cool.
    images.jpg
    "Frankly my dear, I'm sweating bullets."​

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,018
    Medals:
    I think one of the issues in Dynasty is that seasons in general just never happened - it was the same climate all year. Even on Melrose Place, shot in Los Angeles, they tried to at least show off the seasonal changes. On Dynasty that never happened - probably because they never shot in Denver which I understand very much has a proper winter season. And it's a shame. How great wouldn't it have been to have Krystle looking out at the light snow falling and Blake sneaking up behind her and given her a kiss?

Little things, little things.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,747
    Medals:
    The only time the cast ever went to Denver was in fall of 1983 to film inside The Carousel Ball. With no exterior shooting whatsoever except for the cast entering the ball from the sidewalk.

Even if the brass thought location shooting was too costly (even the LOVE BOAT got to go on a real cruise twice a year) there was basically no attempt to fake Denver or Colorado at all -- even the use of stock footage of the Rockies was minimal at best.

There was a decision made by the DYNASTY producers from the very beginning not to reflect the hard, snowy winters of Denver because it would too difficult to get exterior scenes shot in a Los Angeles park, where you'd have to scatter gypsum everywhere, to match.

But the biggest problem was the series' lack of psychological place. And when you have that lack of a clear identity, a sense of geographic location suffers as well.

The bosses quickly saw DYNASTY as only a fashion show, the actors runway models who sometimes needed to emote.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,962
    If PEYTON PLACE, a prime-time soap on ABC in the 1960s was capable of doing 2-3 months worth of winter episodes with lots of fake snow every single year (even the last one when the ratings were low), and in fact they had a very strong sense of all seasons, how is it that DYNASTY, a prime-time soap on ABC in the 1980s couldn't do it?

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,432
    Medals:
    All the money went on Nolan's budget I guess.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,747
    Medals:
    Nolan himself said Aaron was the most budget-conscious producer he ever knew. And that's got to be saying a lot!

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,432
    Medals:
    The clothes budget was astronomical for the time. And they made things that never even made it on screen or created magnificent beaded gowns that were on screen for 30 seconds and then never seen again.
    Now I love the look and the glamour as much as the next DYNASTY fan but I could have done without a few frocks and furs if it meant La Mirage got a window and we had a mural of the Rockies on wheels we could position outside windows, oh and a box of soap flakes to make it snow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,747
    Medals:
    Esther admits in one of the DVD commentaries that while the clothing budget was huge for a clothing budget, its cost was consistent with that of staging a car accident on a cop show -- an accident that might cost 70,000 dollars and last only a few seconds on screen, but that same amount on wardrobe gives you a richness which lasts throughout an episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,018
    Medals:
    Of course - I doubt Dynasty went over budget, but it's also about where you put the money. A better set for La Mirage would be start over fancy dresses which few people noticed anyway.

Also, Esther is a cow.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,432
    Medals:
    I don't know after a while that's all people noticed, really.

18. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,825
    Medals:
    That explains why Alexis' season 7 cliffhanger was only half a dress and half an exciting car crash.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,898
    It's why I appreciate the Dallas producers effects to do some location shooting. Watching Miss Ellie walk the Southfork grounds with her hair blowing in the wind, Jock on horseback or Sue Ellen swimming in the pool at Southern Cross grounded the series. There was always a sense of realism with Dallas as opposed to Dynasty. I'm not hating on Dynasty but I believe not using the city of Denver, especially during those winter months hurt the series. It didn't help I discovered the Carrington mansion was actually the Filoli Mansion south of San Francisco.

I'll add I didn't like the fake Southfork at Hollywood.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,877
    Medals:
    I think it's a problem with a lot of the Spelling soaps. They all seemed to exist in their own little universe, independent from whatever city they were supposed to be set in. They could basically be anywhere.

If you look at Melrose Place, as time wore on, most of it's location stuff involved either the beach house or random residences. It never felt particularly "LA". Even the shots of the hospital or D&D building could've been pulled from the skyline of any city.

• Agree Agree x 1