1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

New Joan Collins profile from CBS Sunday Morning

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    You cant blame Joan for the neglect of other characters at her expense. That's ludicrous, she didn't demand they shift attention to her. The Shapiros, Spelling and the Pollocks did that of their own accord, because she was so good. Joan just came to work like the rest of the cast.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    No, of course not.

I meant
    that this is not necessarily a good thing. One character should never be the best thing about a soap.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    But Joan didn't make that happen. They just chose to do that, it was mostly lazy writing and lack of creativity. They saw that the camera loved her, as did the audience and they also saw that she could deliver some really stale shitty and over the top lines with great aplomb and relish.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    :clap:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    I agree. The same occurred on Dallas with JR. Dallas was an ensemble show. Of course we are partially to blame because Larry's portrayal of JR was just so damn good, it's why we tuned in each week. But then I think if JR was the be all and end all how come many suggest Dallas was never the same when Pam (Victoria) left.

A character on any given series will ultimately come out on top. They become so polarising with the public it's as if the show will not survive without them which places the actor in a very commanding position. Look what happened recently when Jim Parsons (Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory) decided to pull the pin. It was decided not to renew the sitcom.

Joan's portrayal of Alexis was the same. It was like she was born to play the role. And let's not forget the initial writing of Alexis was genius. The problem was not with the actress but the writers and producers allowing the character to overshadow everyone and everything - the Shapiros had their own JR Ewing and relished the fact.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,105
    Medals:
    @Rove - As you say, I disagree with the notion that Dallas was never the same when Pam left. I think it's a matter of opinion plus the Barnes Ewing feud was no longer the focus by that point. For me, once they changed the character of JR, and Sue Ellen and him split for the last time, THAT is when Dallas changed. You change the focal character - JR whether that was how it was intended or not - and the whole show changed. This change didn't occur because of Pam's departure and regardless of whether she's my favourite character or not, that definitive change came when Sue Ellen left JR because it changed HIM and he had nowhere to go. The introduction of new characters such as Michelle and the whole Beaumont clan didn't help either. This isn't in anyway intended to dismiss Pam's importance. Of course if she'd stayed it would have been great to have her and JR going head to head, but I really dispute that the show was never the same specifically because of her. We also still had Cliff for him to battle with.

JR was Dallas' pivotal character and when he lost his side kick, he was never the same, as I've quoted many times (think it was Howard Lakin said it) 'Without Sue Ellen, JR was much less...".

I completely agree about the ambiguity around the ensemble though. We are partly to blame. We can't say it's an ensemble, then argue that one character is more important than the other. This is just how I see it anyway. Not Larry's fault that, like Joan, he was just so damn good :) But for me, Sue Ellen is equally as pivotal to the series - not only for the fabulous character that she is in her own right - but because without her, he failed and sadly so did my beloved Dallas.

(Ha! Really sorry, just realised I'm ranting on in the Dynasty forum ;) )

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    Well, this came up in my YouTube recommended videos and it instantly reminded me of this thread.
    Ali McGraw has some lovely things to say about working with Joan. In fact that she was the most generous, as an actor, of the people she was working with on set.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Ali and Joan are friends and Ali took part in Joan’s book My friends Secrets. Their mutual friend Sue Mengers asked Joan to ‘be nice to Ali’ when she joined the cast.

Ali has only nice words to say about most people.

I have no doubt that Joan is a professional, knows her lines and is on time, but she is also a diva who feels threatened by others she’s less confident with. As Nancy Malone says ‘she’s scared.’

Hence her unprofessional remarks about John Forsythe and Linda Evans in public.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
    Medals:
    And Joan is, as far as I know, the only person who's ever had anything bad to say about Linda. Anytime I hear people talk about Linda, they all seem to adore her.

10. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    What has she said about Evans?

11. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  12. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    She allegedly broke one of Joan´s nails during a fight scene in "Legends". You can´t really forgive SUCH a thing...

[​IMG]

Here is the poster of that...​

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    There is no "allegedly" in 2019. If a woman accuses someone of something, the other person is automatically guilty, tarred, feathered, and then hung from the nails in the middle of the square. So I say burn Evans, burn her to a crisp.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
    Medals:
    Because women never lie. :re:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1