1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

NIGHTMARE ONLINE SHOPPING EXPERIENCE!!!!

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Alexis, May 1, 2019.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,144
    Medals:
    Wow... This is a long one! I just cant believe this has actually happened!!!

Way back in March, before I went on holiday to Prague. I had ordered some new Adidas trainers and a track top from Sports Direct. I had ordered them specifically for the trip and for flying in and the because I knew I would be walking around a lot and wanted comfortable trainers. I ordered them and they didn't come before my trip.
    When I got back I had a card from Royal Mail, one of those you weren't in cards. I assumed it was my Sports Direct order and booked a redelivery. It actually turned out to be something else I had bought elsewhere.

I then tracked my order and it said it had been delivered to the Irish Distribution Centre before I had even left for Prague. I then attempted to contact the courier and got nowhere. I managed after a long and annoying time to find a customer service email address for Sports Direct. I messaged them explaining I still hadn't received my order, that no card had been left by a courier and that it was now over 2 weeks since I had ordered.

A few days later Abbie at costumer services emailed me back apologising for the courier not leaving a card but assured me my order had been delivered to my neighbour at number 3. Now my neighbour at number 3 is a lady in her 70s who works in a bookshop with my mum. I know her very well, have done for over 20 years. If she gets mail or packages for me, she always brings them. I had not left any instruction by the way to deliver to anyone else in the event of me not being at home. I visited my neighbour and my package wasn't there. She never signed for it and she lives alone.

I mailed back Sports Direct and they again insisted that it was delivered to number 3, but could not provide me with a signature when I asked. They told me they delivered it and to arrange a charge back to my card, whatever that means or contact my local authorities. Really? They wanted me to call the police accusing my elderly neighbour of stealing my trainers and jacket?

I again mailed back and told them that it really wasn't there and that I would like a refund if the original order couldn't be resent. They ignored my email. I again mailed and asked to speak to someone other than Abbie as I felt she was unable to help me and that the costumer service was atrocious. About a week later I got an email from someone else at Sports Direct sending me a form I had to complete and return in 7 days. I had to print the form, sign it and return in 7 days, which was over the Easter holidays so I had to do it pretty swiftly, which I did.

Today I had an email back saying further to their investigation and after interviewing the courier the are confident my order was delivered to number 3 and they can not accept my claim!

I ordered from them, paid for goods and they delivered it to someone who wasn't me, at an address that wasn't mine, and they didn't even leave a card to tell me where the order was. Now they are accusing my neighbour of stealing too. And are unwilling to do anything about it.
    I am now out of pocket just under £100 and have no idea what to do? Surely that can not be it? That's theft? They took money from me for goods that I never received.

I have been buying online for years and on a few occasions things went missing etc, retailers were always helpful and refunded half if not the entire cost of the goods I ordered. I have never had an experience like this at all.
    It was my first order from Sports Direct and I will never, ever buy from them again, online or in store.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,786
    Medals:
    Have you contacted your credit card company?

3. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,144
    Medals:
    I used my debit card. I don't even know how I would go about that? Do I just call the bank and tell them that I have been charged for something I never received?

4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,786
    Medals:
    I'd certainly give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    Medals:
    Absolutely do!

6. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,144
    Medals:
    Sports Direct are now telling me that a signature isn't required, and as per their terms and conditions they leave packages with neighbours in the event of not being able to deliver at your address. They told me to go have a read of their terms and conditions and to go to my neighbour to retrieve my package. Really it's just disgustingly rude and condescending costumer service. Total arrogance and unwillingness to help with anything. The emails are just passive aggressive bullshit. They keep saying if I have a problem I should go to the police and tell them my neighbour has my stuff. As their courier has assured them that's where it was delivered.

I have decided to just give up, I will take it as a lesson learned. I will just never buy from them again. I just don't need this negativity hanging around me right now.

7. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,804
    I'm honestly stumped with this one, other than something like Trading Standards, I wouldn't know what to do. It's like the time and effort you would have to put in weighs on you if it's all worth it, but at the same time you've been hit and it's not just a couple of pounds.

There is the WHICH? website that has advice on your situation.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...as-left-with-a-neighbour-who-denies-having-it

• The Consumer Rights Act says the retailer is responsible for the goods until they are received by you, or by someone else you have nominated to receive them on your behalf - such as a neighbour.

Maybe try one of the tabloids and expose them (again, though, it's if you can be bothered, I have no idea what that process would be like)

8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,786
    Medals:
    But they claim that the goods have been received.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,804
    By someone else that Alexis never nominated. If he left instructions with Sports Direct to leave it with a neighbour, it might be different, but that's not the case.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,786
    Medals:
    But is this not common practice? I've never heard of nominating other people to receive the goods on my behalf.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,804
    It's a done thing where I live and even then, the delivery guy would always put a card/note through the door detailing which neighbour had accepted the parcel. I'm not sure about our Royal Mail service, they always take the parcel back to the depot if no one is in. That's annoying at times because you might be in and not hear the door, only to walk past it sometime later and see that horrible red card at the foot of your door.

12. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,144
    Medals:
    Thanks, I actually just tracked down the company's terms and conditions... Here's what they say.

Sports Direct will use third party couriers. Couriers will require a signature to ensure safe receipt of your goods. If you are not available to collect and sign on the courier's first visit they may leave it at a neighbouring address, or in a safe place (i.e. hidden from sight and protected from the rain). A calling card will be posted through your door to let you know this has been done. If there is no safe place a calling card will be left with the courier's contact number to arrange re-delivery. Sports Direct's couriers will deliver until 9pm in most areas!

The couriers will attempt re-delivery up to a maximum of three (3) times and if delivery is not successful after the third attempt they will return the goods to Sports Direct and SportsDirect.com Retail Ltd will issue a refund on their behalf. Sports Direct reserves the right to re-charge the delivery cost for re-delivery.

They didn't leave a calling card. They didn't attempt redelivery. But they are covered as in the terms and conditions which is small print. I agreed to, without reading, that they may leave it a neighbours address.
    Which basically means they could leave it anywhere, not obtain a signature and then then just say it's at my neighbours. I now think a dodgy courier has just pilfered it.

13. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,144
    Medals:
    They have covered themselves, in the terms and conditions they say they will leave it with a neighbour in the even of me not being in. I had no idea this was how they operated.

14. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,804
    Everything seems to point to that. It's just wrong, so fukcing wrong. I buy most things online and so far I've been pretty lucky. I think twice about smaller companies and dig a little further if I'm not so confident, but Sports Direct is a major company, I certainly wouldn't have given it a second thought. It's just frustrating because you have to prove they haven't delivered and yet by their T&Cs they don't have to prove anything.

I was chatting with a friend about this and they said that SD is a terrible firm to work for, based on what he had heard from a friend. Not that, that helps you.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,786
    Medals:
    But how does that work when you order something online? Do you have to tick/untick a box that says "deliver at neighbour"?
    I think you agree unless you clearly state that you don't agree with alternative deliveries.
    (although I've yet to see an internet shop that gives you the option to express delivery preferences).

UPS gives you the option to leave instructions for the courier, but they would not spontaneously deliver the package elsewhere.

Standard Post (same as Royal Mail, I guess) just wants to get rid of their mail, anywhere, anyhow.
    This was not always the case. Back in the 90s I usually had to collect my stuff from the post office, recorded delivery or not.

16. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,144
    Medals:
    This is the only time I have had this happen. Normally retailers have been very helpful and co-operative. I just wont ever use them again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,804
    You get a drop-down menu and then click on where you want the parcel delivered. Alternatively, they may have a link directly with the courier so you can make the arrangements with them.

Do you get the optional delivery address on your Amazon account? Every order I make on there I have to tick a box at which address I want it delivered to.

18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,786
    Medals:
    Yes, but I had no idea that you could select additional addresses.

19. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,505
    Medals:
    That has happened to me in the past. There is a particular courier service here in the US the some businesses use that hires "independent contractors" to deliver. They don't even have official delivery trucks or vans. People just roll up in their personal vehicle and deliver your package, sometimes crazy late at night. Yelp is rife with complaints about this particular company. Luckily in my case, the company that employed the service didn't hassle me about a refund. But I won't deal with that company again until they get a different courier service.

I agree with others who have said you should contact your bank and see if they have any suggestions. It's maddening to think that these people can take your money, treat you so condescendingly and get away with it.

Also, I always appreciate it when people who have had experiences like you have, take the time to leave feedback on Yelp or the company website or Facebook page so that others can beware.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,600
    Medals:
    The company might say in the terms that they can leave the package at your neighbours but it also say someone has to sign for it and can't produce a signature. So it is theft. :(

You should contact your bank and see if they can refund or reverse the payment. Your card should have some sort of insurance on it. Most cards do.