Supergirl No Longer in His Shadow

Discussion in 'Comics Central' started by Ome, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    I’ve never been much of a Supergirl fan because she will always come second to Superman and will forever live in his shadow.

Which means I’ve been in two minds whether to do Supergirl, but seeing how the show meets Arrow at some point in the first season and add the fact I want to see everything that’s connected to Arrowverse, I guess I need to give this one a go.

[​IMG]

So, first impressions…

The quick introduction was welcome, I don’t need any more right now and low & behold, Dean Cain is Kara’s father. Talk about keeping it in the family. I’d completely forgot Helen Slater played her mother. This is going to be more enjoyable than I imagined.

Cat Grant won me over as soon as she stepped out of the elevator.

[​IMG]

“It’s not that I don’t see your frown, it’s just that I don’t care enough to ask why it’s there”

James Oleson is Eggs from TRUE BLOOD. Brilliant. :cooler:

I loved the moment when she told Winn and flew back up the building, the music was also very heroic.

I love the fact her sister is aware of who she is and that she’s involved in alien activity, what I don’t get is why Hank thinks Kara is dangerous, especially when they know who Superman is.

The second episode was a good introduced to Kara’s Krypton Aunt, but I hope she shakes off that clumsy act soon.

The fourth episode had some lovely moments where Cat opened up a little to Kara, I really hope this is continued as the season carries on. We also got to see a more compassionate side to Cat which was really uplifting.

It also highlighted how much Alex has struggled in Kara’s shadow through her mother.

Dean Cain saying he knows “everything there is to know about Superman” was a nice touch.

I didn't realise Jeremiah Danvers was dead!!! :eck:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    She meets The Flash in the first season. She doesn't meet Ollie until season 2, in an epic crossover event.

Cat is awesome. Callista Flockhart is amazing in this role.

I'm looking forward to you learning more about Hank and how he fits into all of this.

There's an uplifting, girl-power vibe to Supergirl that I really love.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Lucy Lane's father is just like how i found him Smallville, an annoying runt, but in Smallville he did come good, so maybe there is hope.

I hated how he told Supergirl to fight with this amazing robot, and then blame her when it all went wrong.

And just like Harrison Wells ins't Harrison Wells, Hank Henshaw isn't Hank Henshaw. He's a shapeshifter (for which I friggin' love) and the sole survivor from his planet (which I'm going to guess will reveal other survivors later in the show). This new twist has really turned up the attraction to this show.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    Has he revealed what planet he's from and what his real name is yet? I can't remember how early that happens in the show?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Thanks.

I know i have to wait until episode 18 of the first season, so I'm throwing in around 5 episodes a time between switching back to the Arrow/Flash timeline.

This last episode ended with a great scene where Supergirl told Cat that she inspires her (Supergirl)

It's just starting to open up on Hank and so far I'm really happy with where it's going.

I haven't seen that yet, well apart from the last scene between Supergirl & Cat. So far it's been about Supergirl finding her way and there's been some tough scenes where she's messed up a little, but I get this is all part of the development with her.

Overall, I think it was a good idea for me to do a bunch of episodes between Arrow/Flash mainly because I've very invested with the Arrow/Flash characters whereas the Supergirl characters are still finding their feet with me. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much if I was watching one episode a week.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Yes in this last episode 'Human for a Day' though I didn't quite catch the name of the planet. He also revealed what he looked like and said his name was something like Joe Jonas....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    I think that's a good idea too and really you're free to watch all of the first season of SG at your own pace, because even the Flash/SG crossover in SG season 1 doesn't really have anything to do with The Flash show. At this point both shows were still on separate networks and it was kind of amazing the crossover even happened.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    :lol:

J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter is one of the original members of the Justice League of America.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    LOL, I was close :floor:

Fan-bloody-tastic!!! It's starting to make more sense now. There was a Martian Manhunter in Smallville who was a friend to Jor-El and he was called John Jones. I know I keep repeating myself here, but I love how close they get with the character names on different shows.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    Interesting to read your thoughts. For once I'm ahead of you. I've watched season 1 on DVD and have season 2 on pre-order. My preference is to watch one episode a week to reproduce the broadcast experience so no doubt I'll fall behind again at some stage.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Supergirl has a TV night and she watches Game of Thrones.....:dance:

[​IMG]

“Goodnight Supergirl, enjoy the show”

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    This may be bloody obvious to everyone else, but I've always thought Kara's mother looks like her aunt, only without the blonde streak.

@Jason73 or anyone... Is it the same actress?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    In SMALLVILLE Cat Grant annoyed me, but Cat in SUPERGIRL is my favourite character, I love that she gets many scenes and even more when she opens up to Kara. I enjoyed so much, that she thought Kara was Supergirl, while at the same time I was happy that Kara (with Hank's help) was able to diffuse that theory.

The way Cat speaks to her employees is hilarious and she gets so many kick-ass one liners back at them. She's like the JR of SUPERGIRL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    Indeed it is. :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    I love her too. You may or may not want to read this spoiler. It doesn't spoil any plots, really. It will just spoil your day. :) :mall:

Register or to view Spoiler content!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    I’m all caught up with the first 17 episodes so I get a break from Supergirl until the other three shows reach that point. I found a couple of episodes dragged a little and it was Cat Grant that kept me alive. Then when I hit the 16th episode “Falling” I shook my head in despair at the thought of watching Supergirl go dark under the influence of Red Kryptonite, a story I never enjoyed on SMALLVILLE. Having said that, this story turned out to be really enjoyable and the twist at the end where Hank gave himself up to the authorities had me reaching out for hope that it would be okay. That never happened in the following episode “Manhunter” but what it did do was explain how J’onn J’onzz took the identity of Hank.

Now, thanks to Lucy Lane, Hank (It’s much easier to keep referring to him as Hank) and Alex were able to escape and go on the run. Not a story I particular enjoy, I always like our heroes to have all the cards when fighting the baddies, but for now, it’s looking like Hank & Alex are going to be on their own.

17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Oh no.... This is just awful. She was my rock, she is my rock.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Looking at the two pictures and now having it confirmed makes me realise how obvious it is, I can see it in her cheekbones and mouth. Where I was lost was the eyes, hair and make-up. I can get very confused with wigs and different hairstyles.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    I'm back on the Supergirl train and this episode has stared off feeling very strange. Barry is here, but he's not from this world, or is it earth? Now I'm confused to which earth I belong to.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,404
    Alex has annoyed me by insisting on going to back to save Kara when everyone is under the influence of Non. She thinks Hank can protect her and he fails, so now she has to fight with Kara to the death.

All because she wouldn't just sit at home and avoid this frustrating chapter.

• Like Like x 1