"Noel Coward it isn't."

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    Good old Barbs. Bitchslappin' the shoulderpads out of 'em. Of course, I think she was being too harsh on the writers. I love 'The Colbys'. But, bless her heart anyway.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,362
    I mean she must have had an axe to grind. My guess is she never really wanted to do the show in the first place. I read somewhere she took the gig because her house burned down and she needed the money. Maybe she took the role without really understanding what she was doing. The writing on The Colbys wasn't bad. Not at all. I guess her problem with the dialogue wasn't that it was so terrible, but that the majority of it wasn't hers. In the film scripts she mentions she is the female lead. Obviously there would be a difference in those scripts and the ones from The Colbys. On The Colbys, Stephanie Beacham was the true female lead, and rightly so. The show had to revolve around the Sable character.

I love Barbara Stanwyck. She's one of my favourite actresses and I have seen many, many of her films and tv roles. However she appeared in a fair number of stinkers too. Roles far worse than Constance Patterson.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    To be fair, Constance *really* didn't do much and that's her point. Supposedly she wanted Constance to be more involved with the business side of things instead of being in a geriatric romance.

As for her taking the role - she was close friends with Aaron Spelling and was even Tori Spelling's god mother (and I hope she haunts Tori on a daily basis telling her to get her shit together)...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,362
    I think Constance has some great lines and dialogue. Great scenes with Beacham and Heston. She was main cast but really she was always going to be a secondary character on the show. Mostly due to her age I would say, hard as that may be. The show's main focus had to be on a decidedly younger character/characters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +365
    She never wanted to be in the show and the writers did not want her either. They wanted Doris Day. Constance was supposed to be the sweet old aunt and Barbara Stanwyck was wrong for that.
    And a tommie says, Constance did not do a lot of memorable things. However, she had some nice dialogue so it's odd that it was what bothered her so much...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,554
    I am in a very small minority here, but you know I agree with her. Her character was as important as the wallpaper after the plot against her by Sable ended, and the show's first year plots were horrendous. She was drafted for the show after she had a stint on THE THORN BIRDS, a hell of a soapy miniseries, so I think she wasn't comparing the role and dialogue to film but to her scripts there. The groundwork just wasn't there for a show to air with that much hoopla (budget! big Hollywood stars! racy sex scenes!) as a companion to what was at the time the #1 rated show. But it was textbook for DYNASTY at the time to create the biggest bubble at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    I think it's more her trying to explain why she hated doing the show so much - the dialogue itself might not have been an issue, in fact if they had written her with horrible dialogue but with memorable storylines she might have looked back on it more fondly. And as you said; they tried to cast Barbara Stanwyck as the lovely older aunt, which was a terrible miscast. She was the complete opposite of that. As I said, I think her friendship with Aaron played a part here where they were looking for an old time movie star, everyone else fell through and without thinking they cast her without re-thinking who Constance should be.

It wasn't even about pre-conceptions as they had when they casted Rock Hudson - ie they wrote him as a hot desirable hunk in his prime, even in her prime Barbara just wasn't going to work as the Constance they wanted her to be at all.

8. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Not really, it's thanks to her and her investigator that Jason found out about Sable and Zach. She also whispered in Jason's hear to convince him of divorcing. Unfortunately, she did not do the same with Frankie (I wanted her to be a manipulator just for pure revenge, not for her brother's sake !) But still, it was an improvment over the first half of the season. Now, the writers could have done better with her, but after all that is the case for all the female characters aside from Sable.

It's ironical that Barbara Stanwyck mentioned "Sorry, wrong number" in her letter because the writers concocted for her a storyline inspired by this movie (and by "Desperate hours") for her stints in season 2 (but she never showed up so it was never used).

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    They wanted Doris Day??

[​IMG]

10. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    The fire was supposedly big, but the damage to the house was confined to the attic and the roof section. But it could have played part in her decision - the fire was reported on June 22, 1985; she signed the contract to play Connie less than a month later, on July 17.

That's right. And their first choice for Sable was Angie Dickinson. Doris would've been a very different Constance. She probably would've brought a little more warmth to the character, which could've made her more likable in her fights with Beacham's Sable.

Horrendous? The show certainly wasn't firing on all cylinders (Monica's & Bliss' stories were mostly a snooze-fest), but I found the two principal stories of Miles and his mother frantically fighting to salvage what he thought was going to be his love of a lifetime and what she considered her solid marriage of 29 years downright riveting. Especially when they teamed up to strike back at Jeff and his annoying mother, along with everyone else. And it was a solid foundation for the show to grow in year 2, which I thought it did.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    Missy once said that if Rock hadn't already been sick, the DYNASTY scripts would've killed him.

Funny. And true. But THE COLBYS was doing better work. And while Stanwyck's complaints might have been misplaced or due to lack of enough material, I have a hard time being too hard on her, under the circumstances.

And given that Sable's scenes with Constance crackled so nicely, Stanwyck was indeed used too little.

Doris Day would have been perfect as a relative to Krystle, obviously. As obvious as Gloria Swanson cast as Alexis' mum... I always plug Angie in as the fiancée to Blake a teenaged Alexis shoved aside with her "My God, Blake, I'm pregnant..." wiles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  12. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,554
    The most constant defense of the show was that it was "better than DYNASTY at the time," but DYNASTY during the Rita/Moldavia mess and during the Sarah Curtis snooze fest was the utter straw man to judge against. I judge the show's premiere season against DYNASTY's premiere season, since they share in theory the same lineage. As somebody who has read the season 1 scripts of DYNASTY, I agree with Stanwyck that "if it ain't on paper, it ain't on screen." Those scripts are gems. The show built on them with the casting and FiLoLi and Conti, but the foundation was there.
    Yes, with Miles and Sable and later in season 2 with Monica's story the show had something to work with, but it was buried under too much scrap. I just don't understand why the brass worked on funding everything in a mega way (stars, sets, toilets) EXCEPT for writing. It was like a fancy house of cards. The "Jason is fake dying." The "Fallon is Randall for 5 minutes." The "Jeff suddenly gets 50% of the shares because of the fake dying but then he doesn't give them back." The Geriatric romance. (And I don't even mention Bliss). It's like a precursor of CW's Dynasty lack of narrative logic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +365
    The start was quite ludicrous but the show became stronger once after a few episodes. To me the only problem that remains throughout season 1 is the writing of the female characters, aside from Sable. They are all too nice and sweet. At least Frankie's behaviour was equivocal. But Fallon, Monica, Bliss and even Connie at times were boring.
    In season 2, Channing and Adrienne were a real improvment. Too bad they were only secondary characters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,032
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Knowing how cheap Mr. Spelling was, he probably chose her due to her age and the tax discounts given by him for hiring an actress of that very age. And she eventually found out! And there went the "garbage" line...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,221
    What a ghastly thing to say. She would have been a marvelous Angela Channing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,032
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    If only she could’ve seen her future IMDb page, where they list your last project first. All that effort she made to distance herself from the Dynasty brand and yet the very first thing people see when they look at her illustrious body of work are those 24 episodes of The Colbys (followed by 3 episodes of Dynasty). Now that would’ve done her in, had she not passed of COPD.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +378

Minx: “Well, he can’t possibly leave you here, now, darling... Everything’s gone according to plan.”

Minx visiting baby Adam, week’s before the kidnapping:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +378
    “If we pull it off, the girls’ll be set...”

“And so will we.”

*glasses clink*

*fade*

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,209
    You know I think she actually did a nice thing here. She shared her knowledge of Hollywood and gave the students an example of how not to write a script. By studying the material she sent them they were likely able to improve on their writing skills and yes a good dialogue is key to a good script.

Unfortunately for her she didn't live long enough to benefit from whatever scripts the new writers wrote. But maybe somebody else did.

• Like Like x 1