Northern Ireland News: Martin McGuinness to step down

Discussion in 'UK Politics' started by Sarah, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    This will probably only mean something to people in Northern Ireland @Swami @Alexis

Martin McGuinness has said he will resign as Northern Ireland's deputy first minister in protest against the handling of a botched heating scheme.

The Sinn Féin MLA's resignation will take effect from 17:00 GMT.

He cited the Democratic Unionist Party's (DUP) conduct over the scandal surrounding the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme as the reason.

He said First Minister Arlene Foster has a "clear conflict of interest" in the scandal

2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,121
    Well I can totally see where he's coming from. The DUP are a joke and Arlene Foster is a truly deplorable woman. But as with most of these bible quoting lunatics you just sit back and wait. It all comes out in the end. They are all as crooked as they come. If it's not weird kinky sex and affairs with people young enough to be their son then it's defrauding the government and the public for millions of pounds. Money that could have went on important things in our community.

I always thought she was vile for her ignorant stance on gay marriage. Then this heating scandal comes out and you just think to yourself but of course that would come out. Firstly she denies any knowledge of it, then it's proven she knew all along what was going on. Then it's proven she even wrote to Banks and encouraged it. Then she tries to shift the blame to others and the horrid thing still wont resign.

She has to be truly evil. Any decent person would crumble under the shame.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    She is hateful. I wish it was her going. The DUP are totally shameful and stuck in the past - a bunch of catholic hating bigots. They have kept NI stuck for far too long. I hope she goes and that the DUP are no longer the leading party in this country. McGuinness may have a clouded past but at least he has tried to move on - unlike the DUP!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,121
    The DUP hold back NI in so many ways. Even the licensing times for bars/restaurants and trading hours are way behind the rest of Europe. The city centre is like a ghost town on Sunday night. So many tourists complain to me about it. Belfast is a city struggling to undo the past but the DUP seem intent on keeping it back there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    It stems from Paisley - love him or hate him - he's gone now and it's about time the laws were changed to accommodate what is now a more modern city. It's embarrassing on a Sunday here - not to mention MIND NUMBINGLY BORING.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,324
    I think it means something to anyone interested in UK politics.

I do wonder what the consequences of today's events will mean for the future stability of the Northern Ireland government at a time when the issue with the border of with the Republic is uncertain due to Brexit. Now are very difficult and uncertain times at Stormont and that should be of concern to everyone in the UK.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,121
    This woman is something else really. She wasted about 400 million pounds via shady dealings within her party and covered it up and yet here she is arrogant as can be, I can not wait for this election! And how many times does she mention Sinn Fein in this video? It's so transparent! It's that utter hatefulness. Blame shifting in the most bizarre way. Finally though people are beginning to see through her and the party. Even life long DUP voters are wising up to what they are at.

She says she wanted to have an inquiry into the RHI scheme. But only one that was overseen by the DUP. What a farce! That's like asking the burglar to be the judge at his court hearing.
    http://news.sky.com/story/arlene-fo...-resigns-as-ni-deputy-first-minister-10723275

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Thank you so much Angela for taking an interest in us :)

9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    If there is an election, which looks likely, and the DUP are the main party again and she is back in power, I really will have lost hope for NI. If people continue to vote for this farcical, bigoted party, they really just want NI to stay stuck in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,372
    I sincerely hope Arlene Foster holds her nerve - there is more to Sinn Fein's antics than a reaction to RHI, they're just throwing the toys out of the pram because unionists aren't bowing the knee to them. They couldn't bomb us into a united Ireland, and they'll fail with their political strategy too.

If anyone seriously thinks someone like Michelle O'Neill is a credible politician, dear help us. She knows as much about politics as my backside knows about snipe-shooting.

Swami

11. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I see you've reported one of my posts Swami - but I stand by what I said. I mean this with all due respect, as you are from Northern Ireland too, but the only people keeping NI stuck in the past, are the DUP. They do hate Catholics and they do quote the Bible continuously, despite being anything but religious. They also absolutely condemn homosexuality which is so unbelievably backward as well as showing anything BUT love and Christianity for their fellow man. I'm not sure why holding an opinion forced you to report a post - because it offended what you believe in. Because I called someone who openly condemns homosexuality a bigot? I know people who work in Stormont who have also openly admitted she is a bigot - not sure why that is worth reporting? Are we not allowed an opinion now?

What I will say is this - Sinn Fein may have a questionable past but they have moved on (or at least tried to). The way you refer to the bombs is all reference to the past - you seem to be stuck in 1969. Arlene Foster has brought this on herself - she has lied to the NI public, Martin McGuinness hasn't done that. You seem content with holding him accountable for what he did many years ago - I'm not saying he should not be accountable - but the Good Friday agreement was supposed to be a fresh start for everyone. Sinn Fein going into government with the DUP was supposed to be a fresh start.

Because of Arlene's lies and arrogance, NI now has no government. You speak as though Sinn Fein did this because of the IRA and bombs and killing - that's in the PAST. This is Arlene Foster and the DUP's doing - no one else's.

There is virtually no one in NI of a younger generation that either tolerates, believes in or supports what the DUP do. Those who do vote for them are only making sure NI stays where it was - in The Troubles. I seriously do not understand how anyone with half an ounce of sense or empathy can support that party. And yes they are bigots and yes they do quote the Bible. I'm really shocked that you overlook that in favour of blaming McGuinness for this current mess because of things that he did in his PAST. This is NI's future, but you're looking backwards, not forwards, unfortunately like so many.

I say this as someone who is from a Protestant background, but doesn't class myself as from either community.

Here's an interesting blog about Arlene:

http://damianm.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/arlene-foster-northern-irelands-monster.html

Arlene foster, Northern Ireland's monster

I am incensed and bewildered. This is the same kind of shit the minority population have been putting up with from the DUP under the guise of religion for generations and it is no loner acceptable. Why could't the Church of Ireland (Anglicans) be the largest Protestant group in the province? If they were today, Catholics and Protestants would be governing in unity. The DUP's ranks are filled with nothing but a bunch of paranoids who adopted the belief and religious system of Southern state evangelicals in the US. Their divinity degrees come from Bob Jones and other third-rate US universities, etc. The United States government must refuse Northern Ireland's First Minister Arlene Foster permission to enter the US when permission is caught to enter. She is a white Mugabe. She is a bigot and supports hate. Her position against LGBT rights is untenable and her speech is full of vengeance because they dare to seek equality. This woman is quite simply a monster and must be replaced with someone who is enlightened and human.

I completely agree with this blog.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,121
    This can not be a serious post? You are happy for Arlene Foster to represent you and the people of NI after the this scandal. After knowing she knowingly squandered £400 million of the NI budget in kick backs to all her little chums. Knowing she purposely deleted emails, and tried to cover it up. That she tried to pin it on Bell! This has nothing to do with Sinn Fein. This is what the DUP did. And all the parties do not want to share power with such a corrupt party. EVERY party is saying it is unacceptable but yet the DUP can only say one party name every time any of them open their mouths.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Absolutely spot on. Even the UUP are disgusted at the DUP. You cannot bring Sinn Fein into it every time the DUP mess up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,372

Stuck in 1969? Thanks to those IRA bastards I lost an uncle who in stark contrast to their utter cowardice bravely coped with my aunt's (his wife) terminal illness while at the same time serving nobly and courageously in the RUC reserve.

I stand by what I said, this whole RHI thing is being completely used as a smokescreen (pardon the pun) by Sinn Fein.
    I'll be honest, a week or so ago I did think Arlene should perhaps consider her position, but after yesterday's antics, I thought, why should she? Sinn Fein are upset by the fact in recent days that most people with sense are rightly outraged by their incessant campaign to try and demonise the security forces, without allowing due justice take place in the case of some of their beloved IRA men. In the case of my uncle, the get who shot him got two years - two years for murder. I think that puts RHI into perspective.

Swami

15. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,372
    The UUP are only disgusted for "electioneering" purposes.

And actually, another thing I can tell you, whilst not mentioning names, there are least fifteen people in my area who have benefited from RHI - and not one of them Protestant.

Swami

16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I am truly sorry for your loss. But the IRA are not the only ones responsible for murder. The DUP and PUP both have blood on their hands too.

I can understand your hatred for Sinn Fein but this crisis doesn't have anything to do with the murders of the past and has everything to do with Arlene Fosters lies.

Northern Ireland CANNOT move on if we continue to hold on to the past and the troubles and blame it for everything in the present. I mean no disrespect to your uncle or to anyone who has died as a result of terrorism here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,121
    I have an uncle I never knew as he was shot in the back by British soldiers in the '70s. He was 16. He was not in the IRA. My father was also killed during the troubles in the 1980s, also an innocent person unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. I cant hold on to that and let it be who I am. Everyone in Northern Ireland has been affected in some way by what we have come through. We have to move on. Why would you want to remain in those dark times. Why would you insist on that two tribes mentality?

You have made this thread about something other than what Sarah was posting about. She never mentioned the IRA or the troubles. She merely wanted to discuss the mess that Arlene Foster had put NI in. You somehow turned it around to be the fault of Sinn Fein. You cant blame Sinn Fein for everything all the time. Sinn Fein haven't been caught out lying and stealing from the government. That would be the DUP. Arlene clearly does have a conflict of interest. Pretending she doesn't and shouting loudly at Sinn Fein doesn't legitimise your argument.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,121
    No honour among thieves?

19. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,372
    Too bad you didn't read the editorial in today's News Letter or for that matter watch the feature on tonight's BBC Newsline re RHI, I think you'll find in the fullness of time the scaremongering involved in the whole RHI issue has been multiplied to a ridiculous degree. That's not to say errors have not been made, but it is undoubtedly the case that there have been those keen to exaggerate the story.

Some of you are saying Arlene Foster is arrogant; has the thought never occurred that there is a possibility that an inquiry could very well vindicate her?

Let the inquiry procede.

Swami

20. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,121
    LOL.... She wanted the DUP to head that inquiry. I think her vindication would have been the only outcome.

And to say that the News Letter is a Unionist biased paper would be a grand understatement.