1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NuDallas featured in TvLine's "What Would've Happened Next"

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by tommie, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    The filming of a hand was completed but an actress had not yet been selected. We were only to see her hand wearing bracelets and chipped nails. I'm thinking something like this...
    Nails.jpg

This is the stuff of nightmares.​

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Was the deleted scene ever made available on Youtube or elsewhere?

3. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    I don't believe so. Those who purchased TNT Dallas on DVD complained very little additional information was added. Many however stated the deleted scenes which made there way onto the DVD's should never have been dropped from airing. Case in point.

This deleted scene showcases the talents of Linda and Emma and pays respectful homage to Lorimar Dallas. An old familiar name pops up during the conversation. It could have enhanced the story on TNT Dallas by reflecting on its past. Instead it was left on the cutting room floor to make room for goodness knows what was eventually screened.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,516
    I agree some of the deleted scenes were lots better than what aired!
    Just too bad they never gave us the scene with JR/SE dancing at the BBQ among the deleted scenes as that was the one scene I most wanted to see. :(

I don't know why they chose to delete the scene with John Ross' sister or if they had planned on using the same actress or if she was just shown to tease the audience sort of like Alexis in Dynasty when she comes walking into that court room at the end of season one. It was not Joan Collins. But they cast her over the hiatus. So maybe they were planning to do the same with John Ross sister.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Quick explications because I don’t believe in ignoring anything. 1) Chris took years to recover and get his life back. He’s now an engineering professor somewhere else. 2) JR’s daughter helped her brother with the master piece and resumed her life else where.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    My vote is both, a quick mention that she helped John Ross years ago and then resumed her life.

7. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Any new Dallas should do a flash back scene to JR and Sue Ellen dancing and use the footage.

8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Would you use any of the same actors TNT used in the role of the next generation of Ewings or Barneses? The casting would be difficult for a Dallas continuation because the bar was set so high by the original. For example, the actor who played John Ross was a better actor than the one who played Christopher, but still he was not close to as good as Larry Hagman. For a Dallas continuation to be successful, you'd want actors of the same caliber that Dallas used. Dallas would not have been the success it was if JR had been played by an actor the caliber of the actor who played John Ross in TNT. Josh Henderson is not a bad actor, but he's not the caliber of actor Larry Hagman was. The main cast of Dallas had some great actors. It would not have attained the level of success it did if the casting had not been done with such high standards as they had.

Not only did they have great actors, but they were also perfect for the roles they played. Barbara Bel Geddes and Jim Davis were perfect for the roles they played. Ken Kercheval was put in a very difficult role to play and he was perfect for the role of Cliff. Victoria Principal might not be considered a "great" actress, but she was great at playing Pam.I saw her in one or two of the TV movies she made after Dallas and she was not as perfectly suited for those roles as she had been for Pam. In some other roles, Victoria Principal seemed to be an actress of average ability, but she played Pam Ewing extremely well. These perfect roles for certain actors are so good because they maximize their strengths and hide the weaknesses of the actors.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  9. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Yes. Josh Henderson as John Ross is a must to me. And no he was not as good as Larry Hagman but then I’d have him playing more the role of Jock and a new actor, on par with Larry as his brother Boaz “Bo” Harper Ewing. I’d probably go with Julie Gonzalo as Pam, playing more a Miss Ellie role. I’d start off with Linda Gray but with her age, over time the role would go more and more to Pamela. I’d focus on Bo and Ellie, JR’s daughter. I’d spend the real money on them as the JR and Bobby of the show with John Ross and Pamela as Jock and Ellie. I’d give John Ross a son we didn’t know about on TNT, John Ross Ewing III in the Lucy role and I’d make Elena’s son his as well, but her in prison. So to me in season 1 very quickly we’d have a new generation, with some tweaks looking very much like the original main characters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dallas Fanatic

Dallas Fanatic Soap Chat Member EXP: 12 Days

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am surprised why a streaming service hasn't tried to continue it. All they need is a better show runner. They can still use the stories from the reboot, but just shift focus to the main family and incorporate some older, missing characters into new storylines, and keep the show focused on the family conflict and the history. Anyone seems to be able to make a series for Netflix these days, and so many of them suck and are low budget. Not sure why Dallas can't be rebooted again. Even if it is just 8 - 10 shows a season. The actors aren't doing anything else right now are they?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Nice post, @Dallas Fanatic. Those sound like good ideas to me! Especially "a better showrunner." Having someone who actually saw the whole show and liked it so much they wanted to make a continuation of it would have been nice. Instead, TNT hired someone who had seen at most, a third of the show, repeatedly made mistakes regarding the history of it, created characters that blatantly contradicted the story told in the original, and used the show as a vehicle to push her own "homegrown" characters at the expense of screen time for the characters Dallas was actually about.

12. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +298
    It will never continue, that opportunity has gone. The best you could hope for now is a reboot.

13. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I have seen the clip and it may well be on an old PC. She didn't have chipped nails, she was working behind a bar, you never saw her face. She had long well manicured red nails, Her arm was covered in bangles, like loads of them. John Ross stood at the bar and said he needed his sister.

14. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    Perish the thought :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    Interesting. According to the brilliant mind of Cidre the hand of the unknown daughter of JR was to be seen. Bangles/bracelets and chipped nails was her description. Is it possible to locate this "clip" and upload it to soapchat starting a new thread? I believe us chatters could have some fun with it.

16. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I will look. The clip was uploaded on the Warner Brothers publicity site for press. It was with a load of assets. It was the full episode, uncut, prior to the changes with Christopher blowimg up.

It was rather weak as a cliffhanger, so I can understand why they changed it.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,516
    Thank you for looking for that clip. :)
    I would be more interested in seeing the JR & Sue Ellen dance clip from the BBQ in case you'd happen to have that too saved somewhere! ;)

18. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Thanks!

Regarding it being weak as a cliffhanger: Do you think that a series which knows it's likely to be cancelled should end on a cliffhanger anyway? I think it's better for the audience if they don't use a cliffhanger ending unless they're fairly certain they will be able to return because an unresolved cliffhanger ending is pointless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,381
    It's a last-ditch effort to avoid being cancelled - as if the studio executives would be swayed because they want to know how it turns out.

20. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    In this regard CC rolled the dice and lost. The producers/writers did something similar with current Netflix series Lucifer with series 3. They deliberately created a cliffhanger in the vain hope those higher up would not dare cancel it. Well Fox did. What Fox wasn't relying on was the determination of Lucifer fans and those at Netflix must have felt the wave of love for Lucifer stemming from social media. Not only has it become a popular series on Netflix they renewed it for a fifth and final season. This way the producers/writers can give - I hope - a satisfying conclusion.

It's such a shame the #SaveDallas campaign fell on deaf ears. If memory serves Les Moonves had said to Linda Gray he was being bombarded with emails about saving Dallas. Unless of course this was "Fake NEWS."

I've said it previously. It's such a shame a series which has a 40 year history has been left with that cliffhanger.