Old Movies of the '30s, '40s, '50s and '60s.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Alexis, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    Well I suppose we all need somewhere to dump our thoughts on the old films and since a replacement thread hasn't been set up yet, here we are.
    Feel free to post away about old movies, be they classics or turkeys let us know.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,159
    I've missed this thread so I am glad to see it return. :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    I think we'll need to start watching some old films pronto. LOL I'm still waiting on my Joan Collins Superstar Collection to arrive. That's my excuse, there are a load of films in that which I have yet to see.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,159
    Oh you'll love that, I have that collection. My favorites of the movies is "Rally Around The Flag Boys!" followed by "Sea Wife" due to that Richard Burton is the leading man in that one. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    Yes I remember you mentioning it to me a long time ago, though I never found the set at a reasonable price until recently. So I'm looking forward to seeing these films with a young Joan. The only one I have seen is Sea Wife which I loved.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Anchors Aweigh one of my all time faves. The performance by Gene Kelly has only ever been matched by Ron Moody as Fagin in Oliver.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    I always preferred On The Town. Similar plot - Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra reteam along with the great but little-remembered Jules Munshin as three sailors on leave in "New York, New York" and they have to see it all in "just one day".

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,318
    I watched the film "The Group" today.

The Group is a 1966 ensemble film directed by Sidney Lumet based on the novel of the same name by Mary McCarthy about a group of female graduates from a Vassar-like college during the early 1930s.

The cast of this social satire includes Candice Bergen, Joan Hackett, Elizabeth Hartman, Shirley Knight, Jessica Walter, Kathleen Widdoes, and Joanna Pettet. The film also features small roles for Hal Holbrook, Carrie Nye, James Broderick, Larry Hagman and Richard Mulligan. For its time, the film touched on controversial topics, such as free love, contraception, abortion, lesbianism, and mental illness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I enjoyed the film it tackled controversial topics. I found most the men in the film jerks. Has anyone else seen the film?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    So my Joan Collins Superstar boxset finally arrived. Last night I watched The Girl In The Red Velvet Swing. Now I had no real knowledge of this film other than Fox originally wanted Marilyn Monroe for the lead, but by the time they got it all together she was a little too old for the part. I was actually very pleasantly surprised by the film. For some reason I didn't think it was going to be big budget. But it seems it was, it's got beautiful sets and costumes and it does feel very period. Unlike the films that were to come a few years later which just looked like 1964 regardless if they were set in 2000BC or 1892.

The plot of the film is a bit of a sudster, it's very soapy and melodramatic and it's got a pretty good cast. Ray Milland and the gorgeous Farley Granger are the two male leads that Joan has to work with and they are both great in their respective roles. Farley Granger is I think, particularly good as the unhinged millionaire obsessed with outdoing Ray Milland's character in every way. Milland is beautifully charming, even playing a cheating rogue. He plays the part well, with very little help from the script he makes it clear that although he cheats on his wife, he does still love her. You do believe it.

Joan Collins is always a treat for me in anything pre '70s. Before the seed of Alexis had been sown. She starts playing the same part a lot from the '70s on, when we come to DYNASTY she's basically Alexis Colby in every thing after that.
    In this though she's the perfect ingénue. Again a million miles from Alexis. She's absolutely gorgeous too, stunning. And it's a treat to watch her so young and beautiful and unaffected. Her acting is pretty great I think in this film. I already loved her in Sea Wife which is also included in this collection but I thought that was maybe a fluke that she was so good in that. I was very happily surprised to find that she was good in this too. Joan is, or rather was, a much better actress than most seem to give her credit for.

I don't know much about the case on which the film is based or how much Hollywood changed it to suit their needs but I thought it was a pretty interesting story. I couldn't help but think of the Dominick Dunne film An Inconvenient Woman which was kind of similar. And it was a coincidence then that on the the DVD extras for the film there was a little featurette about Joan and one of the speakers was Dominick Dunne, speaking about how he first met her in the 1950s, and they have been friends ever since. He mentions how much he loves The Girl In The Red Velvet Swing, and that style of film. I wonder did he let that influence his writing of An Inconvenient Woman?

All in all I really enjoyed the film and am glad I bought this set. I'm off to watch another one before bed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,239
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    :shock: 1050s!!!! So now she is... :eck:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    Oops.... :p

12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS 1966
    [​IMG]
    For some reason I had confused this with another film or thought it would be somehow dry. I was wrong, I loved it. A wonderful film and a compelling story. See it if you haven't already. It was one of those films you didn't want to end. I don't think I have ever saw Paul Schofield in anything before but he was truly wonderful in this. So understated and still in it, yet his character Thomas More is so absolutely perfectly sure of himself. The final section of the film becomes so intense when he is on trial for his life. I found myself in nerves even though I was certain of what the outcome would be.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    We studied the play when I was in high school which would normally be a turn-off but it really is a great work. The movie has some slight differences but is still a compelling and inspiring (based on a true) story.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    I couldn't help but think of THE LION IN WINTER when watching it. They are similar styles and I am a sucker for anything based on a play. There is always a lot of intensity between the characters when a film was originally a play.

I've been inspired now to watch ANNE OF A THOUSAND DAYS too which I just found on YouTube. I'm guessing it's a bit less intense and more Hollywood epic even though it was filmed in England.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,159
    I'm glad that you've enjoyed these movies so much. :)
    What did you think of the other movies in the Joan Collins collection?

I do agree that Joan Collins is underrated as an actress. I think it's because she's been typecast in more recent years.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    The only other one I watched was Rally Round The Flag Boys. I liked it but it was very light hearted and fluffy. Silly even. I thought she had good chemistry with Paul Newman who was probably even more beautiful than young Joan. Those blue eyes, that tan, those teeth, that blonde hair. I was probably too distracted by Mr Newman to really appreciate Joan in it. lol

• Like Like x 2
  17. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,239
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    That movie was one that made me realize that I also had underrated Ms. Collins during the Dienasty years. When I watched it on TV I noticed she was in her element and undeniably that performance had (apparently) nothing to do with her Alexis...or her Nellifer, for giving just 2 examples of characters that initially didn´t seem to demand more than her looks, but she gave a lot more.

I also loved her in "The Virgin Queen" because...hey, she worked with Bette Davis...and survived (and she was very well directed, which I think has something to do with how she went from this kind of movies to...ahem, the "other kind"). I guess she was a bit lazy sometimes, and also uneven. But who cares about that nowadays...?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    So I just watched ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS. I ended up finding it elsewhere online as the YouTube one had resized it and cropped bits off. It was too distracting. When I found a good version I really got into it and enjoyed it. I thought Geneviève Bujold was excellent in it, perfectly beautiful and delicate but also like a lioness when crossed. I think the film took a lot of liberties with the story but I still enjoyed it. Anne's speech to Henry in the Tower of London before her beheading was very dramatic and it would be wonderful if it happened. Though somehow I doubt the King saw her before he had her killed. That would have been too unpleasant, to him! Richard Burton gave a good performance as Henry VIII, playing him really as a mad and unreasonable man. Which undoubtedly he was. Every time I read about Henry or watch anything to do with him I get so uncomfortable and anxious about his obvious insanity. Part of that must be to do with being raised Catholic.
    It was quite funny towards the end of the film when Henry is demanding that Thomas Cromwell somehow get rid of Anne Boleyn, so that he can marry Jane Seymour. He suggests various reasons that Cromwell discourages. Lastly and furiously Henry sights incest as a reason to annul the marriage as Henry had already fathered a bastard child to Anne's sister Mary. Cromwell looks at the king and says "We've already used that excuse! We cant make a habit of it!" it's almost a something from a Carry On film. But then the events of that time are a farce. A tragic one at that!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,159
    Oh I love Anne of the Thousand Days. I made a fan music video to it after first watching it many years ago:

Richard Burton was so brilliant in it. I still think he would have been a worthy Oscar winner for that part.
    Also I think Geneviève Bujold made a good Anne. Of course Elizabeth would have done the part differently if she had gotten it and their chemistry would have been better. But I think if you want historical accurency Geneviève Bujold was the right choice for Anne!

Then as for Joan Collins. I agree that she was great in "The Virgin Queen" as well and I love "Rally Around The Flag Boys!" it's good fun and Paul Newman was also a delight in that film. It was funny when they got stinking drunk and he was swinging around in the roof lamp! :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  20. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    Wow never looked at this thread before, looks interesting, I'm a film lover myself, my favourite era is anything from the 30s thru 60s: the golden age, I also love 70s onwards, but im very obsessed about the 1945-67 era of the 20th century.

I just watched a great film with James Caan & Tuesday Weld called Theif, it was made and released in 1981, Tuesday Weld is beautiful in it and James Caan is great as always

IMG_0364.JPG

Earlier I watched Sabatour by Hitchcock, that was made in 1942, and Norman Lloyd who played the spy in it (his name was Fry in the film) is 103 this year! probably the oldest living actor from the golden age.

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

Norman Lloyd 1940s

IMG_0367.JPG

Norman Lloyd now

• Like Like x 3