Old Movies of the '30s, '40s, '50s and '60s.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Alexis, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    "The Old Maid" is a great movie in every aspect, though maybe not a masterpiece, but who needs them anyway? I suppose you know about that "other" feud between Davis and Hopkins. The latter was an even bigger b¡tch than Crawford in a bad hair day, Davis told in her memories that she constantly tried to boycott her performance and used every knowledge of the profession that she had to make her look, act and walk worse. It´s a fantastic read, though I´m not sure if she said it about this one or "Old Acquaintance", another underrated and highly entertaining movie, also with Miriam Hopbeech.

Oh and have noticed that Miriam has a certain resemblance with one of our most beloved soap divas...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Of course, Joannie has never (and never will) aged a year since "Knots"...
    About "Deception", wow...it´s delicatessen. Not "The Little Wolves" but, as I said, who needs copycats of other films (aside from today´s producers)? It´s superbly photographed, flawless played and written, and it features the best actors Warner ever had (if Ms. Crawford who is in the Wire-less Heaven allows...): Bette, Claude Rains and Paul Henreid, who was such a handsome man...Oh and the movie has an amazing staircase scene!!! Not to be missed!!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Medals:
    "Old Acquaintance" i think is a far better film than Old Maid even though both are brilliant films. having said that one wonders why the studio would put 2 people who hate each others guys and weren't shy about it together not just one time but twice and i forget if they've done other films together. though Bette Davis i dunno when it started but at some point she was able to pick her leading man in whatever picture it was.

i dunno about the leading lady she was going to work with. though she did suggest some names at times though if i'm not mistaken, if people hate each other that much that it's hard to even be in the same room with them without wanting to kill one another even if none of them even say a word to each other beforehand. it's stupid to put them together and yes it did come across the screen when it needed to but still. that had to be one long ass shoot not only for the cast but for the crew as well on both films. Deception though is a favorite of mine too

• Agree Agree x 1