Old vs New - Krystle/Cristal

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Ked, Jun 10, 2018.

?

Which one?

1. Krystle

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. Cristal

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,309
    Which Mrs. Blake Carrington do you prefer?

2. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I like them both. I just see them as two whole different characters on two whole different shows.

3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    I think they went too far when they decided to 'tinker' with the Krystle character. Someone obviously suggested early on that they needed to "give Krystle more of an edge", and they took their job a little too seriously. Her "past coming back to haunt her" took up about a quarter of the season, and was based on a lot of stuff from Venezuela that I could not really connect with. I'm hoping that the second season will focus more on her becoming the moral center of the Carrington mansion, to reinforce the idea that she is the "good" versus Alexis's "evil".

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,309
    From a fairly recent interview Nathalie Kelley gave, I think that might be the direction they go with Cristal next season. Hopefully, anyway.

5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    It was as Cidre and TNT Dallas as peach DYNASTY could go.

6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,977
    Krystles -- "nice" characters --- are particularly hard to come by, and are especially dependent on their casting. There aren't a lot of Linda Evanses out there (and let's not forget how good she was during the first couple of seasons). But even oldDYNASTY ruined the character pretty quickly, refusing Evans' requests to do anything ballsy because they thought that violated the character's cherished just-tilt-your-head-and-say-darling ethos.

nuDYNASTY has indeed obviously gone too far with Cristal. Predictably, in today's media culture. Since every woman is justified taking a literal chainsaw to anything that belongs to any man, we have to assume that Cristal isn't "a bitch" because they say so.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,309
    Didn't Cristal do that because Blake said he owned her, and that if she tried to get out of their marriage he'd put her in a mental institution? Plus he also tricked her out of her job at the company just to turn her and Fallon against one another, and went behind her back on a few other issues... I mean, heck, if someone did all of that to me, I'd probably do something to get back at them too (don't know if I'd use a chainsaw - but that's because I'm not creative enough like that :lol:).

Cristal's not going to put up with Blake's crap, and I like that. Matter of fact, I always wished that Krystle got more aggressive with her Blake from time to time. Cuz let's face it, there were times when Blake was a blustering pompous blowhard who needed a good punch to the face. And Krystle had just the right hook to do the job!

8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,977
    That's the point: there should've been a happy medium neither show has found.

9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,309
    The new show's still young.

10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    I think it is a lot easier (and goes over better with viewers) when you attempt to soften a "hard" character than when they attempt to harden a "soft" character. Cristal can show a lot more of her softer side and people might just forget the whole Celia Machado period of her life, but if Krystle had gone from Denver's answer to Mother Theresa to suddenly ordering hits on Blake's enemies or pushing Fallon's brats into the pool when no one was looking, fans would have been a lot more concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,309
    I honestly don't believe the writers would ever have had Krystle harm a child... but the idea of her having one of Blake's enemies assassinated... that kind've intrigues me. I mean, she'd be doing it most likely to protect her husband, her entire family. And said enemy would have to be a pretty loathsome character in order to rile up Krystle that badly... *or*, Krystle has gotten so sick and tired of all the vipers trying to cause her family trouble that she's resorted to getting rid of them in the quickest way possible. ^^

...Now I wanna see Cristal commit murder in order to protect Blake. :D

• Funny Funny x 1