Olivia de Havilland vs. Joan Fontaine

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Apr 11, 2018.

?

Olivia de Havilland or Joan Fontaine?

1. Olivia de Havilland

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Joan Fontaine

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Both

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Since the Davis and Crawford thread is still going strong, let's get this one going.

What's this about sisters Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine? Their feud.

upload_2018-4-11_13-26-37.png

2. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Olivia and Joan photographed together at a party thrown for actress Marlene Dietrich in 1967.

upload_2018-4-11_13-32-55.png

3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,675
    I prefer Joans films from what I have seen of them

• Like Like x 1
  4. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I have seen more of Olivia's films. Naturally, I like her in Gone with the Wind; but she also proved herself great in The Snake Pit and Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte. As for Joan, there's only two movies I clearly remember seeing her in --- The Women and Island in the Sun.

5. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Joan had some great movies... Rebecca and Suspicion (from Hitchcock) and Ivanhoe... plus she did a fun pilot tv movie in the 80s called Dark Mansion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I always was 50/50 regarding the Fontaine/de Havilland sisters but the latter´s nonsense suit against Ryan Murphy´s "Feud" has made me turn to Joan´s side instead (let´s say 75/25, until the suit is finished...).:cool1

(I loved the "Dragon Lady" part: so this is right but "beech" was not? Come on Melanie!)​

• Like Like x 2
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,789
    Livvy was in the right to sue that bastard Ryan Murphy! How dare he??

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +447
    It was certainly not right that Ryan Murphy presented "ideas" or "thoughts" as seemingly direct transfers from what Olivia de Havilland supposedly said. Had she been consulted prior to the miniseries' airing, I seriously doubt the fuss would have occurred --- unless, of course, she was still misquoted.

9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,776
    Joan was a bitch; Olivia is not.

Olivia's suit may not be winnable (although Olivia does well in the court room) but I can't blame a 102 year old woman who's lived in Paris for 65 years, and hasn't made a movie for 30, for filing suit when she sees her younger self portrayed as bitchy and gossipy when, but most reports, she was not. She's of a different era, after all --- although she uses email.

Joan herself fell out with everybody she ever knew, and got caught in more than one lie regarding her sister.

As actresses, Joan was the weakest link in REBECCA imho.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,886
    While watching Hotel on DVD, Joan Fontaine popped up in an episode, I forgot to mention in the Hotel thread though. Anyways weirdly the episode was a mini rip off of the Bette Davis movie from the 1960s, Pocketful of Miracles. In it a lowly florist is given help from the staff at the hotel so she can impress the daughter she gave away as a child. Her daughter was brought up in Italy and while there met and married an American shipping heir. His mother was played by Fontaine. And she's a bitch, I mean the worst kind of horrible bitch ever. And I really didn't even once think that Joan was acting. I mean I think that's how she was all the time. Of course as the story goes on, Joan finds out her future daughter in law's birth mother is not a society lady and is just a street corner florist and so she outs her at a high class charity ball event.

I have long believed Joan Fontaine to be a horrible phoney bitch. She's also a weak actress, so I don't believe she could effectively act that role so well unless she was just being herself.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I've gathered that Joan was the more hateful and conniving of the pair, while Olivia has always been revered as a lady of sophistication and class. In the interviews I've seen of Joan, she always seems cold and seems to have zero feeling for anything involving her sister. Exactly what lies has she been caught in? I'm shallow on my gossip I guess.
    Even though I agree that Joan was probably genuinely cold, I also believe that every actor, actress, or celebrity out there has been involved with someone that is going to tell bad stories about. Some more than others, of course. I recall seeing an Arlene Dahl interview where she applauded Fontaine for taking up for during an encounter with Joan Crawford. Apparently, Fontaine had her good side, but perhaps she just wasn't known for showing it too often.

As an actress, I suppose she's serviceable in what she was hired to do. Having only viewed a couple of her films, I cannot say that I have any complaints about her performances, although I can also say that I don't have anything to praise them for, either. Olivia, as this viewer sees it, was certainly the better and more versatile actress of the sisters.

• Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 7)