In the Spotlight with Ome Top 20: The Result

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ome, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,204
    Soap Chat.png
    Music Fan.png
    Spotlight.png

This week it’s all about @Ome

ome3.png

Shortly I will post my 20 favourite songs and all that is asked of you is to look through this list and rank your ten favourites.

coollogo_com-184421325.png
    ome3 (2).png

I’m excited as well as feeling curious about what songs stand out to you and whether you’re familiar with any of this 20.

Please have your top ten in by the end of

Saturday 10th February

• Winner Winner x 5
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,204
    coollogo_com-184421325.png

ome3.png

Mother’s Talk – Tears for Fears
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9cS7LaEAYY

After nearly two years of listening to The Hurting, they released a new song “Mother’s Talk” and it was louder, faster and full of so much energy that I felt I had died and gone to heaven. I couldn’t get the 12” version fast enough. It felt like a totally new beginning for me and my relationship with TFF. I couldn’t work out the meaning of the song which irritated me because I found The Hurting so readable through their lyrics. I later found out they were singing about an old saying my mother (and probably everyone’s mother) where my mother would say to me “If the wind blows your face will stay like that” referring to me pulling stupid faces as a child.

Bad Connection – Yazoo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB8TKitUtr0

Back in high school, I was at a party of one of the girls from my year. It was my first party with alcoholic drinks available, though I only had two cans of lager. Someone found Yazoo’s album in her mother’s collection and put it on the stereo. I was in love with “Only You” and “Don’t Go” but hadn’t heard anything more from them, until this party. This song stood out to me because it was telling a story about trying to connect with someone, and something was preventing it to happen. I was falling for this girl Joanne and it felt like she wasn’t aware of who I was, so this song stuck with me.

Thunder in the Mountains – Toyah
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtPj_iWln0s

Back in 1981, this one felt really punchy to what I was listening to at the time. One of my favourite parts is when she starts to whisper the lyrics, I found her voice turned me on. Toyah featured in a lot of the music magazines back then and her lisp was always a talking point, again, I found that part of her very sexy. I was obsessed with Toyah and basically loved everything she did. When I reflect back on this obsession with Toyah, this song always comes out on top for the whacky video and the catchy lyrics.

The Walk – The Cure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkCYh1x44G8

In 1983, as a fan of new wave, this one stood out more than any other at the time, it was the intro that really got me and that would continue throughout the song. I was desperate for an extended version but it wasn’t to be and then sometime in the 90s they released a new mix and I was excited, only to be disappointed because they took out the synthesised music and replaced it with something much slower. Needless to say, it’s always been a firm favourite of mine

Come Home – James
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWd9mqC80BU

Everyone was going crazy for their first hit single called “Sit Down” and I too loved it so much I immediately bought the album. “Come Home” is the first track on the album and as soon as I heard the music I was heaven. After a few years of Stock Aitken & Waterman, then followed by house music, I found this was the start of a new sound for the 90s.

Neighbourhood – Space
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU31h-oddAs

Another 90s classic from 1996 and I fell in love with the singer’s quirky voice and the lyrics painted a picture that I felt was both close to home and funny. The album it came from was and still is one of my favourite 90s albums.

Garden Party – Marillion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGMvpPAaAWM

I remember hearing this on TOTP back in 1983 and feeling totally immersed in the music, it was like synthesiser had gone all psychedelic. I couldn’t understand the words to begin with, but I loved how the drums would clash with the sound of his voice. It also falls into that group of songs which have a stop/start vibe. The album version is about 8 minutes long and feels really epic

Spaceman – The Killers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc16Y9fiCvQ

I sometimes have problems at night while I’m trying to get to sleep, I hear echoes of voices, and usually from that particular day and sometimes it can startle me. As soon as I heard this song the lyrics “But I hear those voices at night” and it sent shivers down my spine. As I listened more to the lyrics I completely connected to the song and it’s been a firm favourite of mine ever since. It’s also a song that can have an emotional attachment on me when we see them live, throw in the crowd chanting “oh, oh, oh, oh” and it’s pure magical for me.

Paradise by the Dashboard Light – Meat Loaf
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11MzbEcHlw

This has everything, the stop/start epic feel, the various melodies and most of all the story. I was around 12 years old when I first heard this and it was at a friend’s house. I was familiar with the album title “Bat Out of Hell”, but when I heard this, everything seemed to change. It’s about a guy who wants to get his leg over and how he will say anything to make it happen. I was going through puberty and found the song to be really adult, too adult actually. This is one of those songs that I love to sing really loud in the car. As a young lad, I was hoping that I would have sex to this song, alas, I grew out of that fascination.

(How to Be A) Millionaire – ABC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHhOUYdg2S8

Nothing more than a mixed up bang crash sound of music and vocals. I have always been a fan of songs that stutter and this is like the daddy of all daddies, I love the range of vocals between the singer and guest singer.

Confusion (1984) – New Order
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_L_-CKg6pw

Blue Monday was all over the charts and TV back in 1983, but it was this song that became my favourite and though New Order are still releasing some fantastic tunes, I always go back to this. The 12” is much better than the single version.

Spellbound – Siouxsie & the Banshees
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9otg_Cm50RE

I think I was about 13 years old and at the time I was totally focused on Toyah. I had heard a few songs by Siouxsie, but nothing stood out like this one. It was creepy, haunting and gothic, something I wasn’t too close to. I look back on this song as the gateway for me into enjoying more Gothic style music.

The Eve of the War – Jeff Wayne
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX2IQ0-zVgk

What to say about this one. It comes from one of my favourite albums of all time “War of the Worlds” by Jeff Wayne. It tells the story of aliens landing and destroying the world.

I was about 10 years old and my uncle bought the album. My aunt & uncle lived about 5 mins walk away and I would spend more time at their house because they were big music lovers, my uncle was a big Bowie & Star Wars fan, so I loved listening to Bowie’s “Space Oddity” as well as the Star Wars album. When he introduced me to this album, he told me to lie on the sofa and wear headphones. It was my first experience into musical reality. The sound was going all over my head and every so often there would be singing and Richard Burton narrating the story. For years that followed, I always had the melody and the lyrics “The chances of anyone coming from Mars are a million to one” I can still get that feeling today when I lay on the sofa and take in the full effect of “War of the Worlds” You might be familiar with another track on the album called “Forever Autumn” by Justin Hayward. Sadly the version I grew up with isn’t available on YT, so I’ve had to use this shorter version which doesn’t do it justice.

The Back of Love – Echo & the Bunnymen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkD0n-fwSqY

1982 and this new band appeared on TOTP with this song, it grabbed my attention as something that was full of strength and determination. It felt powerful and energetic, the guitar sound in the intro is one of my favourites.

Joan of Arc – Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7HpfVuZwc

Again, another from 1981 (I hadn’t realised how many I had from this year) and one with a beat that I would tap my fingers on my chest as I lay down on my bed and sing along to the lyrics. I love almost anything OMD has to offer, but this was one of my first real connections with the band. Like Roland Orzabal from Tears for Fears, Andy McCluskey’s voice has moments where he produces high and low sounds. There’s a part in this song that really pulls me in around 2:09 where he starts with “listen Joan of Arc” and then the music really lifts the mood. Not to be confused with “Maid of Orleans”

Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrOQC-zEog

Haunting, soothing, therapeutic and above all else, I imagine the feeling this song gives me is probably what it’s like to feel high on drugs. I’ve never experienced that high and nor do I want to, but I find with Pink Floyd in general, they take me someplace I’m unfamiliar with. This song does all that and it always makes me think of when I was around 6 years old where I would be ill with a fever and my mum would nurse me. The vocals, the guitar sound and the overall therapeutic feeling just melt my musical heart. I also love the use of the echo box throughout the song

Madam Butterfly – Malcolm McLaren
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz_cMOMgRwI

Continuing with that haunted feel and telling a story, here comes a piece of music that surprised me in how much I fell in love with the whole thing. I’m such a sucker for synth sound and this one doesn’t disappoint, even the harmonica sound wins me over. I loved Malcolm talking through the story and this amazing female sound who comes in with a little operatic sound, followed by another female singing the chorus, it was like a disco meets the monastery all while the synth is flowing in the background. It also makes me feel sad in parts which I love. I find I can sing along with the various voices and expressions I create myself as I imagine playing the role of the singer at that moment in the song.

Will You – Hazel O'Connor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou96vLl--e4

1981 saw this song grab my heart, with the lovely piano sound intro followed by Hazel’s weeping sound vocals. It’s a love song that I wanted to play out in my own life at that time. I would picture myself holding, squeezing that someone, having someone so close that I can’t tear away from. The sax sound really pulls me into an emotional level many songs fail to do. The film its from BREAKING GLASS is brilliant.

The Queen & the Soldier – Suzanne Vega
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyZI-VaVg2g

Time for another story. I’ve always been a big fan of Suzanne Vega and I think it’s down to the fact it’s very different from what I listen to. I like many songs that are stripped down, but there’s something about Vega’s voice and lyrics that hold close to me.

My Heart... So Blue – Erasure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zOdi9E_pmk

And we finish with another heart-breaking song. I’ve always been a big fan of Vince Clark, he started with Depeche Mode and some of my favourite Mode songs were written by Vince. Then he moved on and formed Yazoo with Alison Moyet, another band I fell in love with. He then went on to do some solo projects with various singers until 1985 when he met Andy Bell and formed Erasure. This song comes from their first (and bloody brilliant) album “Wonderland”. It has everything on there, but this song stands out and still reaches into my heart when I feel I’ve lost something. On another note, back in 1989 I started to take TV clips and add music to them to make my own videos, I did an awesome video for Fatal Attraction with Madonna’s “Like a Prayer” song and then I did a montage of Damon Grant when he was stabbed in York and he died in Debbie’s arms. Now, whenever I hear this song I think of Damon & Debbie.

Mother’s Talk – Tears for Fears
    Bad Connection – Yazoo
    Thunder in the Mountains – Toyah
    The Walk – The Cure
    Come Home – James
    Neighbourhood – Space
    Garden Party – Marillion
    Spaceman – The Killers
    Paradise by the Dashboard Light – Meat Loaf
    (How to Be A) Millionaire – ABC
    Confusion (1984) – New Order
    Spellbound – Siouxsie & the Banshees
    The Eve of the War – Jeff Wayne
    The Back of Love – Echo & the Bunnymen
    Joan of Arc – Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
    Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
    Madam Butterfly – Malcolm McLaren
    Will You – Hazel O'Connor
    The Queen & the Soldier – Suzanne Vega
    My Heart... So Blue – Erasure

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,324
    1. Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
    2. Spaceman – The Killers
    3. Paradise by the Dashboard Light – Meat Loaf
    4. My Heart... So Blue – Erasure
    5. The Queen & the Soldier – Suzanne Vega
    6. Bad Connection – Yazoo
    7. Come Home – James
    8. The Eve of the War – Jeff Wayne
    9. Spellbound – Siouxsie & the Banshees
    10. Neighbourhood – Space

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,557
    1. Will You – Hazel O'Connor
    I'm 100% sure I voted for this in the "Songs With A Question In The Title" nominations thread, and since it got 10 points (according to the stats) I probably voted it as my favourite SWAQITT song.
    But now I've listened to the song again and it sounds even better than I remembered. It really is very, very beautiful.

2. The Eve of the War – Jeff Wayne
    I like the description of how you were introduced to this album. I already knew the song but I clicked on YT link anyway, and then I wondered why you had chosen the Ben Liebrand remix. But I didn't have much time to ponder, because YT suggested a DISCO MIX. Was it the same, or something else? *Click*
    Oh my God, oh my God! It sounds like Jeff Wayne meets Giorgio Moroder. Hello, where have you been hiding all these years? I must have listened to a thousand space-y disco songs and YT has never suggested this mix before. I'm gonna sue them!
    But see what happened here, your experience (or maybe I should thank your uncle) is responsible for my fabulous discovery. Now that's what I call important history.

3. (How to Be A) Millionaire – ABC
    This is new to me, it has a great sound and lyrics, and probably oh-so-relevant during the yuppie-eighties.

4. Bad Connection – Yazoo
    I love telephone songs, and your description of the how & when made me think of Jona Lewie's "You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties":lol:

5. Thunder in the Mountains – Toyah
    Because it's so exhilarating, sort of Kate Bush on steroids.

6. My Heart... So Blue – Erasure
    This ranks high in my Erasure top 10 (although I secretly wish it was sung by Alison Moyet)

7. Paradise by the Dashboard Light – Meat Loaf
    One of my favourite hoovering songs, but I only sing the second half, starting with "stop right there!" and ending with "what's it gonna be boy, yes or...", and then I medley into another song.

8. Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
    I'm not familiar with this song although I must have heard it before. Some parts remind me of "Wish You Were Here".

9. Joan of Arc – Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
    And of course that's exactly what I did because my clicky-mousy fingers clicked on the link before reading this.
    Once I had assured myself that YouTube hadn't been hacked, I could relax and enjoy this song with its moody, synth-y sound.

10. Spaceman – The Killers
    Being a frequent abductee myself, I can totally relate to this song. Unless I don't really "get" the lyrics in which case I'll blame my alien-made clone for posting this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,285
    My top 10

1. Mother’s Talk -Tears For Fears
    2. Spaceman-The Killers
    3. The Queen And The Soldier-Suzanne Vega
    4. Bad Connection -Yazoo
    5. The Walk -The Cure
    6. Paradise By The Dashboard-Meatloaf
    7. My Heart...So Blue -Erasure
    8. (How To Be A) Millionaire-ABC
    9. The Back Of Love-Echo And The Bunnymen
    10. Comfortable Numb-Pink Floyd

All your song choices are great @Ome So many songs I’m listening to for the first time.

I enjoyed reading your description of the reasons why you loved these songs so much.❤️

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Thanks @Ome for sharing not just the tracks, but also your associations. They've helped me enjoy discovering the songs on multiple levels. A couple of these songs felt a little familiar, but they were pretty much all new discoveries for me. I may have heard a couple of them before but I'm very glad of the opportunity to pay attention and properly discover some great new music.

1. The Queen And The Soldier - Suzanne Vega
    I’ve grown to like story songs in recent years, and this one was most unexpected. I found it very poignant. Like watching a film with a sad conclusion that resonates and leaves me re-writing it in my head with a happier ending while knowing it wouldn’t be half as good without the tragedy and waste.

2. Will You? - Hazel O’Connor
    Great sax in this song! The descriptive opening lyrics about the couple staying up late talking with their drinks of choice reminds me very much of the first lines from Beverly Craven’s Promise Me. I do enjoy the ambiguity of Hazel’s take. Are the couple tentative because of a crisis (perhaps the couple from Promise Me at a different stage of negotiation) or simply because they’re early on in their relationship and nervous about getting their bits out? I like to think it’s the latter. Either way, I want to know what happened next.

3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
    This reminds me of those last few moments before I fall asleep at night where I’m semi-conscious and living in two different worlds and trying to link them up in my head. The whole track reminds me of a journey through a very pleasant dream - the kind I wake up from hoping I’ll be able to continue it another night.

4. My Heart... So Blue - Erasure
    I really like this song, but listening to it with your association with Damon and Debbie has made me hear it very differently and love it far more.

5. Bad Connection - Yazoo
    I wasn’t familiar with this track but the familiar Yazoo sound paired with Alison’s gorgeous voice elevated it and made it feel instantly comfortable.

6. Madame Butterfly - Malcolm McLaren
    The elements of opera combined with the Eighties synth sound is like nothing I’ve experienced before. This feels very special.

7. Come Home - James
    I enjoy the attitude in this one - the juxtaposition of the angry lyrics and the carefree arrangement gives it a pleasingly double-edged message.

8. Spaceman - The Killers
    This is another where reading your association took my listening experience to another level. I so enjoy hearing about what a song means to someone else because it enhances my own perception.

9. The Eve Of The War - Jeff Wayne
    I could easily imagine this sound being the intro to an Eighties CITV show. In fact I couldn’t shake that association, so I went with it and really grew to love the sound.

10. Spellbound - Siouxie & The Banshees
    This has a really nice sound. As you said, it’s very gothic. But I also really enjoyed the playfulness. It’s quite the earworm, too. It keeps popping back into my head so this one is going to be with me for a while.

1. The Queen And The Soldier - Suzanne Vega
    2. Will You? - Hazel O’Connor
    3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
    4. My Heart... So Blue - Erasure
    5. Bad Connection - Yazoo
    6. Madame Butterfly - Malcolm McLaren
    7. Come Home - James
    8. Spaceman - The Killers
    9. The Eve Of The War - Jeff Wayne
    10. Spellbound - Siouxie & The Banshees

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +971
    Thanks @Ome, most artist and songs i have never heard of and some are familiar to me.

01. Paradise by the Dashboard Light – Meat Loaf
    - I love this song too, a real classic song, this song could have been in my top 20.

02. The Eve of the War – Jeff Wayne
    - Oh I recognize this song, an old school friend of mine had this on the album, and when we went to listen to it my hair was straight up, so scary I thought it would listen to it but the music was great on this album.

03. Spaceman – The Killers
    - I love this videoclip, very 80's but it was not, it's from 2008.

04. Come Home – James
    05. Thunder in the Mountains – Toyah
    06. Neighbourhood – Space
    - I love the lyrics in this song, and the video makes it even more to enjoy to watch.

07. Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
    - I remember this song from the Scissor Sisters, but i jut found out it was from Pink Floyd, i love both versions by the way.

08. Will You – Hazel O'Connor
    09. My Heart... So Blue – Erasure
    - I always enjoyed listen to Erasure when they were on tv, and love his singing voice.

10. Bad Connection – Yazoo

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,204
    Haha! :lol:

I love it! :D

I simply love how busy this track is and I thought (at the time) it was going to be massive, I don't think it entered our top 40.

Brilliant! :D

Oh, now there's a thought.

Actually, back when I first heard Andy Bell's vocals, I found it strangely resembled Moyet and I remember feeling a little puzzled that it might have been her instead of this bloke.

Do you do any hand action moves too?

You might recognise the Scissor Sisters cover version. (I wasn't impressed, now that song did sound like he was on steroids.

Back when these two had been in the charts, I totally mixed them up and I think it was a little later when I started to see the title Maid of Orleans have this (The Waltz Joan of Arc) added to it.

:D:D:D

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,204
    Yes, it's nice to get a little picture of where someone was at when they were playing the song in its heyday.

Totally!

I found it really sad and would create a false ending in my head, however, like you say, had we got that happy ending, the song wouldn't have had the same impact. This song has stuck with me ever since that first listen and I can still feel the emotions I had from that very first encounter.

I believe this is what originally caught my attention and it felt like something I could instantly relate to. Simple lyrics with deep meanings.

That's how I have always interpreted it.

Yes! That's sorta on a similar wavelength to me, where I'm thinking it might feel like this if I was high on something.

Now that sounds better. The film (from which the song is about) is Bob Geldof on drugs and the whole "Hello, hello, is there anybody out there" works in the opposite direction to where you're thinking it's a pleasant dream for me, because I find myself frightened that I would end up not knowing who or where I was.

"My Heart..." was one of those songs that I killed through overplaying and it wasn't until around '89 when I made a visual by adding Damon & Debbie that I found a new wave of appreciation. That said, it's all I ever think about when I hear the song today. Not that this is a bad thing because it gives me something more and of course brings back the memories of where I was in '89

This is another one of those simple songs that last forever and I never tire of hearing it. There's more about it when I listen now because of how we have evolved through technology, of course back then there was no texting, no facebook, twitter etc...

I've never really got opera, but every now and again a song comes along that gives me a simpler and easier listening approach, just like I had with "The Phantom of the Opera" by Sarah Brightman and Steve Harley

Oh, now that sounds fun.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,204
    I too remember the horrors of what I felt while listening to this album, especially the first few times.

They're very cheeky and amusing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,594
    1. Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf
    I know its not about the video, but what a performance, their gestures and facial expressions make every word real; the radio baseball section is hilarious. The story in this epic song never gets old.
    “Do you love me, will you love me forever!?”

2. Will You – Hazel O'Connor
    This is a perfect mix of singer and song. I can’t imagine anyone else singing this as Hazel O’Connor sings from her heart and brings the lyrics to life. You’re right about the saxophone it swept me away along with the gorgeous strings.

3. The Queen & the Soldier – Suzanne Vega
    This song is an extraordinary story which could have many different interpretations. I find Suzanne Vegas song writing and music to be so creative that she often paints a picture in my mind.

4. Joan of Arc – Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
    I like how this starts quietly and simply. Then it builds with intensity until the vocals become full of pleading.

5. Spellbound – Siouxsie & the Banshees
    It’s taken me a long time to appreciate ‘Siouxsie and the Banshees’ and you are partly responsible for this @Ome – for my appreciation of them I mean. I’ve recently been happily listening to some of their songs and I think Siouxsie is a one-off original talent.

6. Come Home – James
    What can I say? :D I enjoy the use of the trumpet in their songs and ‘Come Home’ is a perfect example of this and a great song choice.

7. (How to Be A) Millionaire – ABC
    I’ve not heard this song before. It’s as good if not better than their well-known songs and Martin Fry has the most seductive voice. I wonder if they did become ‘millionaires’?

8. Madam Butterfly – Malcolm McLaren
    This is very beautiful; the lyrics and then the beat along with the vocals sound lush. It’s interesting to have a mix of pop and opera and on this song it works perfectly

9. Neighbourhood – Space

This song made smile and I enjoyed the humour. Songs like this capture a moment in time.

10. Confusion (1984) – New Order
    These are new band for me :lol:
    This is simply a fab New Order song with a great bass and synth sound, what more could anyone need? I read Bernard Sumner's auto-biography a while ago and he mentions this song and the making of the video.

Thank you @Ome. I've enjoyed listening to every song.

. Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf
    2. Will You – Hazel O'Connor
    3. The Queen & the Soldier – Suzanne Vega
    4. Joan of Arc – Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
    5. Spellbound – Siouxsie & the Banshees
    6. Come Home – James
    7. (How to Be A) Millionaire – ABC
    8. Madam Butterfly – Malcolm McLaren
    9. Neighbourhood – Space
    10.Confusion (1984) – New Order

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,204
    It's not too far away from the facial expressions I have when singing along to this one, especially in the car

Yes! She can really create many images with her songs that I don't normally get with singers.

I'm so thrilled you got to experience some of the Siouxsie magic that's out there.

After thirty years I've become my fears :D

I had such high hopes for this one, it's bar far my favourite.

It surprised me back in the day by how quickly I fell in love with this one.

...................:D:D:D

I prefer the 12" with the Ra ta taa, ta taa taa hey but I realised that I had already included some very long songs.

Ooh.... Can you remember what he said about it?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,594
    I even have one of their flower T-Shirt 's :lol:

I need to read that chapter again, but from memory - the video was filmed in New York at the then famous ‘Fun House’ club.

The band and video crew were due at the ‘Fun House’ at one in the morning to capture the club at its busiest. Due to the band and crew going out partying they didn’t arrive at the ‘Fun House’ until 7.30am – you can see them getting out of the cars in the video and its daylight. Amazingly the club was still rocking so New Order then watched the clubbers reactions to hearing their new song ‘Confusion’ being played by the DJ; they tested the record out on the crowd.

New Order were captivated by the Fun House – the club was all about the music and dancing (not drugs) that they, (with their label and management) wanted to re-create it — which was ‘The Haçienda’ in Manchester.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,204
    Ha! I had one too as well as a jumper that said Come (front) Home (arm) James (arm)

Me.jpg

Oh wow, I had no idea about all this. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,055
    Some great tunes @Ome, again many are new to me. This is my top 10:

1. The Eve of the War – Jeff Wayne
    2. Spellbound – Siouxsie & the Banshees
    3. Spaceman – The Killers
    4. Garden Party – Marillion
    5. The Walk – The Cure
    6. Come Home - James
    7. Will You – Hazel O'Connor
    8. Neighbourhood – Space
    9. Mother’s Talk – Tears for Fears
    10. Paradise by the Dashboard Light – Meat Loaf

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,956
    Thanks for sharing @Ome, there were many great new discoveries for me here and also some nice trips down memory lane.

1. Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
    2. Spaceman – The Killers
    3. Mother’s Talk – Tears for Fears
    4. Garden Party – Marillion
    5. Madam Butterfly – Malcolm McLaren
    6. The Walk – The Cure
    7. The Queen & the Soldier – Suzanne Vega
    8. Joan of Arc – Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
    9. My Heart... So Blue – Erasure
    10. (How to Be A) Millionaire – ABC

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,204
    After a week of you guys having a snoop around my bedroom

ome3.png

8 voted on 20 songs
    Here’s how it all finished

1. Spaceman – The Killers = 47
    2. Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd = 40
    3. Paradise by the Dashboard Light – Meat Loaf = 38
    4. The Queen & the Soldier – Suzanne Vega = 36
    5. Will You – Hazel O'Connor = 35
    6. The Eve of the War – Jeff Wayne = 33
    7. My Heart... So Blue – Erasure = 27
    8. Bad Connection – Yazoo = 26
    9. Come Home – James = 25
    10. Mother’s Talk – Tears for Fears = 20
    11. Spellbound – Siouxsie & the Banshees = 18
    12. The Walk – The Cure = 17
    13. (How to Be A) Millionaire – ABC = 16
    14. Madam Butterfly – Malcolm McLaren / Garden Party – Marillion = 14
    15. Thunder in the Mountains – Toyah / Joan of Arc – Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark = 12
    16. Neighbourhood – Space = 11
    17. The Back of Love – Echo & the Bunnymen = 2
    18. Confusion (1984) – New Order = 1

Thank you to all those who took the time to check out my favourite music, it’s been exhilarating and if all those who have participated have had as much fun as I have had this past week, then all I can say is I’m thrilled we got to experience such a rewarding feeling.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,055
    This is a great song and although I would have preferred a bit more love for The Eve of The War, I'm pleased it came top.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,204
    This whole experience has been incredibly satisfying, I had no idea how much enjoyment I would get out of everyone's favourites songs and it's been much better than we've had a week to spend on everyone's favourite tunes. It's making me think we could come back to this later in the year and do something like "The Next Twenty"

• Like Like x 2
  20. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,055
    I was thinking something similar. There were so many songs I couldn't include in my top 20 and it would be great to see what others think about other favourites of mine that didn't make the original cut.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1