"One Good Scare": The HALLOWEEN Films

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mel O'Drama, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    I can only tolerate the first one.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,965
    I have no issues with the sequels, yet I've never discovered what was so special about this particular franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    I watched 1, 2 and 4 this weekend. It was my first time watching 4. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It would have been a great spot to end the franchise. H20 (which I love) also would have been an appropriate place to end the franchise. Now this newest version next year is going to (allegedly) be another end to the franchise. I'm excited for it and I kind of love that (for me) there are three possible endings for the franchise, kind of like a horror film version of a Choose Your Own Adventure book. You can watch 1 and 2 and then either end the franchise with Michael's niece bringing things full circle, or Laurie decapitating Michael or . . . whatever this latest version will hold for us as far an an ending goes.

I'll watch 5 and 6 next weekend, for the first time. My expectations are very low. I'm looking forward to getting to H20. Then I guess I will watch Resurrection too. I've only seen it once and I've blocked most of it out.

I love it too and that scene you mentioned is one of my favorites. I also really like the scene where Michael is walking through one of the rooms at the school overturning tables.

Yes! That's a big reason why I find it appealing too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,376
    It's been a while since I watched the 4,5,6 films, and I remember really enjoying 4 the most. I'm excited about doing them again to see if that remains the same.

I like this :D

That's the same for me, all I remember is the bloody Big Brother aspect of it and it frustrated me. I never connected with any of the characters in this one.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    I'm glad to hear that. H4 is one of my favourite instalments of the franchise, and one I appreciate a little more each time I watch it. The opening in particular does a great job of creating an eerie atmosphere and building the tension. I love that they don't use the Halloween theme for the main titles.

Definitely.

Yes - it's quite an intereactive process. Part of the fun of the series is that each October I can plan out which arc(s) I want to watch based on my mood.

That's a wise approach, I think. After last year's rewatch it will be a long time before I can cope with H5 again for reasons I detailed in the Halloween films thread (with potential spoilers). I really disliked Curse the first few times, but when I've watched recently I've found some sequences very suspenseful and intense. I would like to watch the Producer's Cut at some point as it's said to be a better film.

Hope you enjoy watching!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    I can't remember 4. Like I said, I have a hell of a time trying to find them in any store (not that many places sell DVD's nowadays). I will have a look on Amazon.

8. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    All I can remember is Busta Rhymes and bits and pieces of what happens to Laurie.

Thanks. I imagine I probably will.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,376
    LOL, I completely forgot about him.

10. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Well, now I just gave you something special to look forward to. You're welcome. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,376
    I usually buy from eBay and just looking there now they have H4 for a couple of pounds, even Blu-Ray is up at 99p with a £2 postage.

12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,376
    Maybe that Rob Zombie isn't as bad as I thought..

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    That's an interesting question, actually. The Halloween franchise is the only slasher series of the Seventies and Eighties I've followed beyond the first couple of films (unless series like Jaws, The Omen, Psycho and Alien count as slashers). The Nightmare On Elm Street franchise didn't do it for me at all. I suspect I may have liked some of the Friday The 13th films, but I've never felt inclined to watch beyond Part 2.

But there's something about the Halloween films that really speaks to me. Since reading your post I've been trying to put my finger on why. I think the autumnal atmosphere combined with the mystery of Hallowe'en (the event, as opposed to the film). There's also an intimacy to the series that other franchises seem to miss. Familial relationships and having things connected; backstory and a theme of facing one's ghosts seems to separate this series from others that seem (from the little I've seen) to be a bit more random. OK, the Halloween series couldn't keep the chronology straight and there was a lot of retconning and backtracking, but it still feels quite soap operatic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    THIS.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,376
    I agree with all the points you mention and want to add in that the title plays a role, not just the mystery you highlight, but also that we have the yearly tradition and when the word is mention, it automatically takes you to the movie. I believe it would still be popular because of its title and the meaning behind it. The majority of horror movies can be watched at any time of the year whereas this one wants you to watch it in October and that leads to more people tuning in who haven't seen it. The franchise itself obviously enhances all this and gives the viewer many options to choose from.

Growing up as a child, I was always warned of the one they call the boogeyman coming to get me if I misbehaved and then I finally get to see who they are referring to in a film about him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    Totally agree Ome. In Northern Ireland there is the saying 'Look here comes the Man'. Which is often said to unruly children in Tescos.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    I never cared much at all for the '80s slasher genre that HALLOWEEN inspired and of which John Carpenter was quite contemptuous. I found those films artless and dumb and rarely scary -- except, possibly, sociologically. And I was never impressed with the names of the directors who were associated with these films.

They just didn't work for me at all... At least in the '90s films like SEVEN were real movies.

But the original Halloween, though pretty flawed, had a '70s melancholy vibe about it, helped out by the melancholy vibe of not-yet-a-celeb Jamie Lee Curtis, which almost gave it a spookiness. So it worked a lot better than the tsunami of films that followed about highschool gymnasiums filled with piles of bloody bodies of cheerleaders and football players which were so very '80s in nature: full of sound and fury, signifying very little at best except ambition.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  18. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    1stly H20 i loved and that was the last good one made i think. the best ones i think other than the masterpiece original is part 2 and h20. i do like part 3 as well but don't love it.

4 and 5 are throw away movies meaning i can take them or leave them as they are okay films. 6 is rubbish though i have yet to watch the producers cut. really Jamie lee Curtis wanted her character to die? that's stupid she easily could have just stopped making them hence her story would be done. Reserection sorry for my shit spelling but i'm too tired to fix it. my god was that film no other way can i say it except it's a piece of shit Elm street 6 is a better film than that one. i have only seen the D-cut of the the rob zombie version it's way to long and i can see why it was cut.

but the thing is it's got some nice ideas but the film was way to violent. i love horror films but that was a film that was violent just to be violent and i love violent films but the good ones are written where it caters to the story. his version well it didn't fit on how that series is as Michael Myers yes is a killer but even he isn't that violent. what hurt the film i think is when he becomes an adult it than tries to copy the Original film exactly instead of doing it's own thing. and really the only thing different was Annie living at the end. i've seen that film 2 times and only 2 tims. it's sequel i have not seen. but the series NEEDS to stay dead i don't give a damn about how much money it makes let this be the TRUE last one and just end it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on 4, 5 and 6 this time around. I didn't really care for 5 other than the last 20 or so minutes. 6 I actually found kind of enjoyable. There's a really nice 90's-era grunginess to it that gives it a scary vibe.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    part 4 is the better film i think. 6 is painful to watch now is it better than part 8 i dunno but it's a tie i think.

• Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 7)