"One Good Scare": The HALLOWEEN Films

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mel O'Drama, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,096
    I definitely agree.

I did enjoy 6 to a certain extent, especially after watching 5 the day before. I'm curious about the Producer's Cut and I may circle back to watch it after I finish everything else. I suspect that 6 will rate higher than Resurrection, but I'll know for sure next weekend after I re-watch H20 and Resurrection.

• Like Like x 1
  2. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    the producers cut does end differently i will say that. SPOILER it ends on a cliff-hanger where instead of it ending with loomis screaming. after Burke Devlin that's what i know him as from Dark Shadows well before he dies he tells loomis that it's his turn to watch out for Michael Myers or something like that. Jamie does die in the film but she is in the film a lot more than just the start of the theatrical cut. some of the kills are diferent too. it's still got a WTF ending but it at least HAS an ending and it prolly got cut cause of Pleasance passing away i think it was during filming or right after they were finished making it i can't remember off the top of my head.

honestly they should have stopped making them at part 3. and if H20 would have been the last one i would be fine with that i have NO idea why anyone thought they needed to make another one. i didn't enjoy 6 at all it was that painful to watch at least the theatrical cut. you willingly are going to re-watch the 8th film? once was enough for me i have them all on blur-ay and if i watch it than i'm putting on the audio commentary my friend.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,096
    I read on Wikipedia that the original ending got cut and the whole thing got re-tooled because the original tested poorly with audiences. When they filmed what became the theatrical ending Pleasance had already passed away--which I guess is why you only hear him scream and don't actually see him.

:D I've gone back and forth on whether I'm actually going to do Resurrection. I've only seen it once, in the theater when it first came out, so I don't really remember much. At the moment I am planning on re-watching it. We'll see how I feel after I finish H20. It's tempting to end with that one.

I'd like to re-watch some of them with the audio commentary. That would be interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,637
    All very true. Halloween may itself have taken inspiration from films like Psycho (and perhaps Black Christmas), but it was more a psychological thriller than a slasher. It felt like by the Eighties the film-makers knew they were making slashers so all sense of art went out of the window and it was pretty much guaranteed that the deaths in each film would be more gory.

Carpenter's said many times that what one doesn't see is far scarier than anything he can show you, and the evidence is there in that first film. Things had changed dramatically even in the three years that passed between the first film and Halloween II, so most of the sequels (certainly the ones featuring Myers) were knowingly made as slashers.

Yes. Like Jaws a few years before it the original Halloween captures a moment in time so well it could be a documentary. Even without the fallen leaves and Hallowe'en references the tones feel very autumnal.

[​IMG]

5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,794
    I watched Halloween again at the weekend. I'm actually more and more shocked at how mean those girls are to Laurie. Reminds me of two bitches I went to high school with.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,637
    While the Myers films from the early Eighties to the mid Nineties generally followed the sequel path of diminishing returns, more on-screen violence and too much information about what should remain ghostly, they've worked for me when there's an attempt capture what's good about the original.

The opening act of Halloween 4 builds a nice atmosphere, even though it soon lapses into - to borrow Snarky's phrase - sound and fury.

H20 does a nice job of keeping Myers in the shadows, taking it back to basics.

Though the scene (and the entire film) would have been more effective with John Ottman's original score

Ha ha. Yes - I've met one or two Annie and Lindas. It's probably not deliberate - they're just completely self-involved. But with friends like those who needs Michael Myers. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,794
    "TOTALLY!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,637
    At the weekend I was rooting through my DVD collection looking for something completely different when I came across the 4-disc set Halloween: 25 Years Of Terror.

I'd forgotten I had it. Or more to the point I thought it had been lost forever in my last house move. Turns out it's not with my other Halloween films as they're all in Amaray cases and the 4-disc version - being thicker and slipcased - is in with my box sets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been some years since I watched it.

Along with it, I found a box set of "making of" type DVDs - still sealed - including Halloween: The Inside Story...

[​IMG]

I suspect it will be a lot of talking heads, but that, too, will be worth a peek come late October.

:D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,794
    No he is. Really.

10. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    the Rob Zombie film has 2 different cuts. the the 1st film i mean it's got the theatrical cut that's got actors not in the d-cut and i dunno which one is better as i've only seen the d-cut.

that one is way overlong and i get why he cut it but it's a medicore film at best. i love violent films but Zombies films well his Halloween films are violent just for the sake of being violent not cause there is a need for them to be. but i havent' gotten around to watch the sequel and i hear that one is really awful to the point they have Loomis be radically different written than he is in the 1st film. which begs the question why make the change at all? and it shows how greedy they are cause it shows how much of a sequel was not needed but for some reason he made one. i'd say watch part 8 with the audio commentary man. and Jason i think you are right on that.

but honestly the original cut's ending is better than the released version cause at least it HAS an ending.

11. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    One of the best movies ever. And also a great slasher.

[​IMG]

12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,653
    As I continue my Halloween marathon, I realise H5 isn’t as good as I remembered. The problem I have is the clinic scenes with Jamie and how she’s connection to Myers. Loomis is acting like a madman, which itself is understandable, but I’m not impressed with how he’s handling Jamie.

Killing Rachel off was too soon, no one can capture the vulnerability of a character like Jamie Lee Curtis, but I thought Rachel was as close as they could get it. Tina just didn’t have the same appeal.

Loomis trying to lure Myers to his home by using Jamie was a stupid idea, have they forgotten how Myers brought a police station to a halt? To add injury to this idea is having just two cops there as the back-up. With much emphasis on the “Michael Lives, and this time they are ready” that isn’t my idea of being ready.

It did deliver some extremely frightening scenes towards the end with Jamie (played by a great little actress) trapped in the laundry chute. Not forgetting the true essence of Halloween with Jamie stumbling on the bodies of her friends and family

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,637
    Snap. :D

14. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,637
    Which has reminded me to merge the three(!) Halloween threads that we have. It'll save a lot of bouncing round.

15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,653
    MV5BMTkyNzYyODU0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTYzMDQzNTM@._V1_UY1200_CR64,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Halloween-Movie-2018-Test-Screening-Angers-Fans.jpg

16. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Halloween after that came out brought about i think some of the WORST films ever made but it also brought some of the best as well. Happy Birthday To Me. is a really damn good one from (1981) with Mary the blind Sister from Little House as the star. it's also got an ending that for (1981) felt a bit ahead of it's time. now if you want to see a shocking ending that's yes one of them if you don't think about it. some no doubt can figure that one out but if you want a really good one that if you don't know the ending Check out Sleepaway Camp.

from (1983) that's prolly got the best and Original ending of all time when it comes to horror. now if you want a bad one check out (1981) The Prowler my god is that film terrible.

there's one from (1983) Called 'Curtains while it isn't a great film does have an ending that did surprise me as i didn't see it coming at all. and while it's not a great film it's a decent one and John Vernon plays such an asshole in it that he's honestly what makes the film. other than the ending he's the best actor of the bunch i think and that's cause of his performance in it. Curtains is one film that everyone should watch at least once. Tourist Trap' an oldie from (1979) has a great ending that you won't see coming either, nor will you figure out the killer

either. that one is one of the best horror films i've ever seen! it's even got an Angel it it, Tanya Roberts in it. Tourist Trap SHOULD be seen by EVERY horror fan. has anyone seen these before? so you see after Halloween it did give birth a LOT of really damn good movies, but the problem with them being made is near the end of the cycle that's when the quality started to drip down t0 utter shit. it depended on who made the film as well. some of them made them for fun and those normally are i think prolly more fun. but the ones who did it for the money not all of those are watchable like The Prowler' which has some great kills with them done by Tom Savini but that's the only good thing about that film.

17. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    as for the new Halloween i do want to see but why do i have a feeling it will make a shit ton of money and another sequel that will suck ass will come out next year? i hope Carpenter is right and this is truly the last one. but i doubt it cause if you look at Hell Raiser the ONLY reason the last 2 were i think even made were so they can keep the rights to the series. the 1st one at least is. i dunno about the 2nd one though

18. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,653
    The plot has been revealed.

hh.jpg

Michael Myers is back! The upcoming direct sequel to 1978's original Halloween now has an official synopsis.

Set to be released on October 19 this year and starring Jamie Lee Curtis once again, the premise of David Gordon Green's upcoming film is as follows:

"A British documentary crew comes to the States to visit Michael in prison for a retrospective of the maniac's night of terror – but their project becomes way more interesting when Myers escapes custody, retrieves his signature mask and seeks revenge on Laurie, with others naturally being part of his impressive career body count along the way.

"In the decades following the fateful Halloween night that forever altered the former babysitter's life, Laurie has armed and prepped herself for Michael's inevitable return – to the detriment of her family, including daughter Karen (Judy Greer) and granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak).

"Laurie Strode comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago."

hj.jpg

This ferociously-anticipated horror sequel was written by the unlikely pairing of Danny McBride and director Green. The duo are best known for their stoner-comedy output over the years, including collaborations on Pineapple Express and Your Highness.

Halloween's first trailer is set to debut tomorrow (June 8) – so consider yourself warned.

19. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,637
    Yer Tiz...

20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,653
    While I'm not totally convinced in rehashing the story, I'm definitely in for the ride, just for the music alone.