One Last Time..

Discussion in 'JR & Sue Ellen Fan-fiction' started by Sarah, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    JR's car rolled slowly towards the entrance of the privileged and private community that Sue Ellen now lived in.

"Damn it..." he said quietly, thinking it was only to himself but John Ross heard him.

""What's wrong Daddy?" the boy asked.

"Well son, you'll understand more as you get older but being a Ewing sometimes comes with a price..." JR said, referring to the group of reporters that were still camped outside the gates.

"You mean them?" John Ross said, comprehending what his father was saying.

"Yep...!" JR said.

Upon recognising JR's licence plate, a female reporter shouted 'There he is!" and a small camera crew started running towards the car. JR hit the button to pull the top back to shield himself and more importantly John Ross.

"Mr Ewing, Mr Ewing!" came the voices.

"Get down John Ross!" JR instructed as he pushed John Ross' head between his knees. JR gently eased the ignition to move forward, forcing the reporters to move. The pop of a flash went off at the side of the car John Ross was at. JR turned off the ignition and angrily stepped out of the vehicle.

The reporters seemed to instantly recognise the error of their timing and took a step backwards as JR stared at them. Only a few more zealous ones tried to continue on their quest and were coming to JR's side of the car.

"Which one of you just pointed that camera at my son?" JR said, in a tone that only he could master as he leaned both his hands on the roof of the car and stared across at them. When no answer came he said, "I'm not going to ask you twice".

Judging by the look on the face of the twenty-something young man with the long lensed camera, JR guessed it was him. He walked around the car, as the group ceased what they were doing. Some looked at him in fear, others looked at the ground. One tried to move away and was dragged back by the arm by his colleague who clearly didn't want to be left alone.

JR squared up to the much smaller cameraman and said, "Delete the photo. Now".

The young man visibly gulped, his hands shaking as he attempted to delete the photo. JR watched as he did it, then in an equally menacing tone said, "Thank you".

JR surveyed the group, now standing protectively in front of the window John Ross was behind.

"Ladies and gentlemen", JR began, I am willing to talk to you but not now. This is not the right time and my son is with me. I need to get him to safety and I will answer any questions you might have at a later time..."

The group appeared to respect the welfare of John Ross - as much for their own sakes incase they faced further wrath from JR - and slowly began to dispurse. Some seemed disgruntled and others were very compliant and moved aside.

JR had absolutely no intentions of talking to the press but his fake promise worked. He now faced another hurdle. As he got back inside the car and beckoned John Ross to sit up, he asked, "You okay son?"

"I'm okay Daddy..."

JR was angry but didn't want to let it show. John Ross had been through enough lately. JR asked him softly, "John Ross, do you by any chance know the code to get through this gate?"

John Ross shook his head. "Momma always uses like a control thing and points at it".

"Mmmm", JR said.

"Can't we just call her?"

JR laughed. "I don't think she'd let me in son....but you know who she would let in?"

"Me?" John Ross asked.

"Right again!"

"But how?" the boy puzzled.

"See that pretty little lady over there?" JR pointed to the security guard at the other side of the gate. "How about I teach you how to use the ol' Ewing charm to get what you want?"

"What do I have to do?"

JR explained to John Ross that he needed to go to the gate and get the guard's attention. It all seemed a bit extreme, however JR wanted to take Sue Ellen by surprise rather than risking she wouldn't let him in or that worse still she didn't answer the telecom which would frighten both him and John Ross. He needed to get inside.

John Ross did his best. Smiling sweetly at the guard - a young woman named Tammy - and JR could see him pointing to and from the car. JR waved politely, making sure she knew he didn't pose a threat by not moving the car. A couple of minutes later, JR was delighted to see that John Ross had clearly inherited his skills of persuasion as the large white gates in in front of him began to open.

"That's my boy!" JR said grinning as John Ross hopped back inside the car. JR put the foot down before she changed her mind.

He stopped to speak to Tammy and thanked her for her kindness.

"That's a good lookin' boy you have there Mr Ewing", she said.

"He sure is!" JR said, flashing his diamond white grin at the girl. "I can't thank you enough Tammy. Say...have you seen my wife?"

"I saw her come back earlier this afternoon Mr Ewing...but I haven't seen her since then. Although her car is there, round back..."

"Thank you again. Can you accept..?" JR motioned to take out his wallet.

"Oh no no Mr Ewing, it's a pleasure to meet you finally..."

JR tipped his hat and slowly manoeuvred the car around to the back of the property. He was somewhat relieved to see Sue Ellen's car parked around the back too, hidden from sight.

He turned off the engine and took a deep breath.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Honkytonkangel

Honkytonkangel Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +297
    And that is where you stop? Ugh, SERIOUSLY. My girl better be ok.
    Love lil JRo here. He's so sweet, but love that he has the swagger too.
    I feel for Miss Ellie and Clayton having to deal with the fall out too, but Cally I just wanna slap so she'll stop whining like someone who's had their dummy thrown in the Southfork pool.
    Hope that JR and Sue Ellen can find a way to put their family back together.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    Sorry @Honkytonkangel - kept getting interrupted yesterday and didn't want to rush but thanks so much for reading! ;)

4. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    "Can you wait here son?" JR said softly, looking at John Ross.

"Why Daddy? I've seen Momma drinking before.."

JR was amazed at how astute John Ross had become. "Okay son...." JR said, "....but I need some time to talk to her. Do ya think you could go up to your room and then I promise when we're done we'll go to the hotel?"

"Will Momma come too?" John Ross asked.

Not wanting to give the boy false hope, JR said, "I don't think so...but we'll see..."

They exited the car and walked towards the rear door of the property which led to the kitchen. JR looked inside and couldn't see any signs of life so tried the handle. To his amazement, despite many years of trying to drum the importance of safety into Sue Ellen, he found it open. Pushing the door open quietly, he motioned to John Ross to be quiet as they walked inside, JR closing the door behind them.

The house was totally silent. John Ross peered up at JR as if looking for reassurance from his father that his mother was alright. It wasn't the first time JR had come home to a silent house to find Sue Ellen already passed out by dinner time. Inside he hoped that wasn't the case today.

As they crossed the kitchen floor and moved into the hallway, John Ross whispered, "Daddy...!" to his father. He gestured with his head to whatever it was he had seen and JR followed his gaze. From the edge of the cream sofa, he could see Sue Ellen's bare foot dangling over the edge. He closed his eyes and sighed. Despite everything that had happened between them, the last thing he wanted was for her to go back to the bottle after she had built up her life so solidly since they divorced.

JR took John Ross' hand and guided him towards the staircase. He pointed him in the direction and gently pushed him on the back for him to ascend upstairs. JR could see the sadness on the boy's face, but it was a situation he needed to handle alone.

Once John Ross was out of sight and JR heard his bedroom door close, JR moved into the living room. It was still light outside, but Sue Ellen had adjusted the blinds which meant a semi darkness was creeping across the room. She lay on her right side, still fully clothed, her head resting on one of the many cushions scattered on the furniture.

JR looked at her, then looked to the floor where a tall glass of white liquid had been left.

"Oh no....", he muttered as he lifted it, quickly smelled it and then brought the glass to his lips.

He tasted it and breathed a sigh of relief. Water. It was only water. He brought his head closer to her to check she was breathing and, confident that she was, he took a seat on the large armchair opposite.

JR studied her. He'd seen her sleep a thousand times. Judging by the fact she was still wearing her earrings, JR figured she had come home from Southfork, lay down and fell asleep. With everything he had already felt on this day, he once again found himself shocked by the intense emotion he was feeling as he watched her. Had this day really had that much of an effect on her? Whilst part of him was thrilled that she still loved him despite her recent protestations to the contrary, he did regret the pain it had caused her. There had never been a day where either of them could have said they would be married to someone else and he knew had the roles been reversed, he would be floored too. And of course he would argue the contrary and put on a face for the world, but he knew he wouldn't adjust to it.

He had been ready to marry Cally today, even though he didn't love her. The fact that he thought she'd been carrying his much longed for second child was enough. He'd have gotten rid of Cally eventually. As he watched Sue Ellen, even he couldn't quite believe how the day had turned out. He'd buried the love he had for her so far down that he had reasoned they'd never be together again. JR could have forgiven her just about anything, but could not get past the feeling of betrayal at her interference in his business. Before that happened, he knew he was on very thin ice when she had found him with Kimberley Cryder, but his ever-present ego had made him believe he'd win Sue Ellen back in the long run. Boy had he been wrong.

In the past few months, he'd watched her not only become a very successful business woman in her own right, leaving Valentine Lingerie behind her and moving into a CEO position with a highly respected fashion house, but she'd made her own home, developed her own interests and seemingly not given him even a second thought. But because of what had happened with West Star, he could not, would not, ever admit how impressed he was by her. If he was being honest, a rare thing for him he knew, he would also admit that she had impressed the hell out of him by taking the shares from him. She had proven herself to be the one person who knew how to beat him at his own game. In some ways, she was better at it than he was.

She would never hurt him and not feel the pain of what she'd inflicted. She would teach him valuable lessons, but she was always standing at the other side to find out if he'd been paying attention. No matter how long it took. He wasn't quite sure had she always intended to return the shares, but he was sure of one thing now.

She loved him. And in a way that no one else ever had or would. JR swallowed hard as the reality of the situation began to overwhelm him. He was never one to make himself vulnerable and Sue Ellen herself had only ever seen that side of him a handful of times. Many had been when in bed together, others had been when he really opened up and told her what was on his mind both personally and in business. But that was rare. Now sitting here watching her at her most vulnerable, he wondered was he ready to give himself totally to this woman, to allow himself to be vulnerable and be hers completely?

The sound of a door slamming in what must have been air from an open window rang through the house. John Ross had obviously gotten restless or perhaps needed to go to the bathroom. JR froze as Sue Ellen's eyes suddenly popped open, her long eyelashes clicking in response to becoming suddenly alert, turning her head to the left as if to try to see in the direction the sound had come from. She didn't see him immediately. She didn't move but lay with her eyes open, staring up at the ceiling. She took a deep breath and sighed, as if remembering everything that had happened that day, the protection of her sleep, gone. She stretched out her right arm to free it from the confines of sleep and placed it over her eyes, as if wanting to remain in the darkness.

"Hi..." JR said softly, doing his best not to scare her. It didn't work as Sue Ellen sat up and jerked back on the sofa away from what she initially perceived to be danger.

"It's me..!" JR said, putting his hands up in defence, waiting for it to register for her.

Sue Ellen's breathing rotated between short bursts of panic and normal as she realised it was JR.

"JR...what.....!"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you".

Staring at him while trying to calm down she eventually said, "Wh...what are you doing here?"

"John Ross was worried. He'd sent you messages...he didn't get an answer..."

Bringing herself to her feet, JR marvelled at how cute she looked barefoot, without her usual heels. They added inches to her height on a normal day. Her white shirt hung loose over her faded blue jeans. Not realising John Ross was there, Sue Ellen's instinct was to reach for her purse and take out her phone.

"Was he...? Is he alright...? I came home and I guess I just fell asleep...." she said, absentmindedly knocking over the glass of water, which made JR quickly stand. "John Ross is fine...here I'll get that.." he said, bending down to move the glass out of the way before she stood on it, making his way to the kitchen to find something to mop up the water.

Upon returning, JR's eyes met hers. He noticed she had quite obviously been crying. A lot. But her eyes were still one of her most defining - and alluring - features. They never failed to draw him in.

From across the room she said, "What does John Ross mean?" Sue Ellen asked, gesturing to her phone. "He didn't go ahead with it?"

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,968
    Medals:
    Great updates. I am relived Sue Ellen is not drunk.Also can't wait to read about her reaction when she hears JR cancelled the wedding. Also I wonder what happened to the rainstorm we saw approaching on the show that day...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    "Just what the boy says...."

"You didn't marry Cally? Why?" Sue Ellen said, still not fully awake and feeling that nothing was making any sense. If she didn't know any better she would have thought she was having some sort of bizarre dream.

JR deliberately tried to distract her by placing a cloth on the floor where the water had spilled, pretending it had his attention so that he didn't have to answer any more questions. Not that he didn't want to, but he hadn't had time to properly think through what he wanted to say to her.

"JR?" she probed. "What is going on and where is John Ross?"

"He's upstairs", JR said, fully standing now, realising a difficult and potentially embarrassing conversation was coming.

Sue Ellen marvelled at JR. No matter what the situation, he had a way of making everything sound so normal. If the world outside had been overtaken by alien lifeforms, he would still be able to sound as though nothing fazed him.

Sue Ellen sat down again, putting her head between her hands. After all the pain she had felt in the build up to this wedding and to the day itself, she couldn't quite take in the fact that JR was here with her, although she didn't know the reason why - whether he had called the wedding off, or if it had been Cally's decision. Judging by what John Ross had said in his message, she'd hoped it was the former.

"I'm sorry JR..." she said. "It's my fault....I shouldn't have come today.."

"How is it your fault?" JR asked, sitting beside her.

Sue Ellen looked up at him.

"It was my decision", JR affirmed.

Her heart started to race although she fought desperately to stop it from doing so. As close as they were sitting, they both knew that nothing could happen at this time. The relief that Sue Ellen now felt threatened to overwhelm her and although she would admit only to herself that she could easily have kissed him from head to toe at that very moment, it was not the right time. She also wasn't sure it was what he wanted, or if she was indeed the reason why the wedding hadn't happened.

JR could see the questions in her eyes as she audibly swallowed hard. She had already laid herself wide open to him today that he felt he should give something back.

JR stood up, needing to move away from her. Although always desirable to him, Sue Ellen exuded a sensuality that he had never seen in anyone when she was at her most vulnerable. It was almost too much to bear.

He turned his back to her as he had often done when expressing true emotion to her over the years. Very few people were aware that JR had in his early years, been very shy. He wasn't always at ease with letting others know how he felt and this was why from his stance, that Sue Ellen knew he was sincere.

Taking one of many deep breaths that he had already done that day, he began to speak.

"So much has happened between us over the years....and I've taken so much for granted. When you came to Southfork today, and told me what you did, it took me by surprise...I just didn't know what to say, or do..."

Sue Ellen didn't speak, but waited as he continued. "I knew deep down that marrying Cally was wrong...but after you left, I felt I had to try to do at least one noble thing...to do something right by a woman. Any woman....to make up for what I'd done to you....".

A single tear fell down Sue Ellen's cheek and she quickly swiped it away.

"I was too proud... after what had happened with WestStar....to come to you to tell you I was wrong. Rejecting you in favour of Kimberley Cryder was by far the stupidest thing that I have ever done."

When Sue Ellen laughed softly in agreement, he turned round. She didn't say anything but her eyes told him everything she was thinking.

He came to sit by her again and continued. "I let it go too far. And I vastly underestimated you."

Sue Ellen nodded. "Yes. You did. For the second time." JR knew the 'first time' was in reference to her taking over Valentine Lingerie. "If only you had trusted me enough to ask me to go into business with you, who knows where we would be now....!"

"Pride Sue Ellen. Pride. I saw it all fall apart in front of me that day in the boardroom and pride stopped me from walking over and striking a deal with you then and there".

"I wouldn't have accepted it", she said. "I was too angry at that point".

"So why now?" JR asked.

"It's been like a weight around my neck", Sue Ellen explained sadly. "I knew it was wrong at the time but I did it anyway. Once the real regret started to set in, I had to free myself of it. I couldn't stand to see how much you hated me after it. I didn't expect you to ever love me again, but I hoped by giving it back, you could in time forgive me.."

JR studied her, a puzzled look washing over his face. "When have I ever said I hated you?"

"Well...your behaviour spoke volumes..."

"You've said you hated me a lot more than I have ever said it to you. I've never said that to you..." JR said, his tone soft and non threatening.

Sue Ellen blushed.

"Plus what was I supposed to think when you took the shares the way you did?"

"I didn't hate you. I was crazy angry, but I didn't hate you...." Sue Ellen said.

"When you said you loved me.... earlier today....it just made everything fall back into place."

"Yeah....well...." Sue Ellen said standing. "You didn't say anything so that was my answer..."

JR watched her as she moved towards the window to adjust the blinds. The bright sunshine from outside made her blink.

"I think you'll recall that my mother interrupted us before I had a chance to say anything...." JR reminded her.

Sue Ellen turned back from the window and looked at him, nervously biting her lower lip.

"I have never said that I didn't love you, Sue Ellen. Never."

Sue Ellen knew he was right and it was one of the few times she had no comeback. Playing with her rings as she often did when nervous, she plucked up the courage to ask him about the wedding. Or lack of it.

"Finding out she isn't pregnant was my get-out clause."

"And the shares?" Sue Ellen asked, needing to know his being here wasn't all related to business.

"I found those afterwards. It was like the final piece of the puzzle. Everything that had been missing for so long was suddenly put right back into place."

"You mean Ewing Oil?"

"No" JR said. "You".

Sue Ellen's heart started to race again as she walked back across the room and sat beside him.

"Everything you said today and what you did, showed me how stupid I've been. Not only did you show me you still love me but you showed me you understand me more than anyone ever has."

Tears started to form in Sue Ellen's eyes again as she said, "So...what happens now?"

JR took her hands in his, touching the diamond ring she still wore on her left finger, despite their divorce. JR thought about what he wanted to say to her and, not breaking the contact looked at her as he said, "I want to be with you. I know that for sure. Sue Ellen, you're The One...."

Sue Ellen felt another tear fall as she teased him saying, "It's only taken you...what nearly 18 years to work that one out?"

JR smiled at her softly. "I've always known...but I guess I was just too God-damned arrogant to fully admit to it. I want to admit to it now."

Sue Ellen couldn't believe what she was hearing. Was this really JR Ewing not only admitting what she'd always wanted to hear, but also admitting to his own flaws?

"Why do you look so surprised?" JR asked.

"Arrogant? You?" Sue Ellen joked.

JR laughed. She truly did know him better than anyone else.

"I do have to tell you something...." he said.

"Oh...." Sue Ellen said, her demeanor becoming nervous again. Still he didn't let go of her hands.

"Daddy...?" came a voice from upstairs. Sue Ellen naturally turned her head at her son's voice. "Can I come down yet?"

"In a minute son!" JR instructed.

"Although the wedding didn't go ahead today....I am still married to Cally. I thought that sham marriage in Arkansas didn't amount to anything but the paper it was printed on, but Cally thinks differently."

Sue Ellen sighed deeply and looked at the floor. "Oh boy..."

"I'm gonna do everything I can to find out if it is valid in Texas - or anywhere for that matter. And I'm gonna sort it out. But I need a bit of time."

"How much time?" Sue Ellen said.

"What do you mean?" JR asked.

"I just meant...I don't want to waste anymore time JR! I want to be with you...!"

JR squeezed her hands. "I want that too Darlin'...but we can still see each other..."

Sue Ellen shook her head. "I'm not seeing you while you're married to Cally. That would make me no better than a mistress".

The words nearly cut JR in half as he looked into her eyes saying, "You know you will never be that Sue Ellen."

"It doesn't matter what I know, or what I feel. That's the cold hard truth of the matter. I would be the other woman."

"Never" JR said, although he knew by the look on her face that it was pointless to argue any further. All he could do was see to it that Cally would leave Southfork and his life for good.

Sue Ellen stood and went to the foot of the staircase, calling John Ross. He ran down excitedly and into her arms.

"Did Daddy tell you what happened?" the young boy asked.

"Yes sweetheart"

"Are you going to come with us to the hotel?"

"What hotel?"

"Daddy and I are staying in a hotel tonight in town! Please come Momma!"

Sue Ellen looked to JR who was watching them both. "I can't sweetheart. Your Daddy can explain to you later on ok?"

John Ross looked disappointed as he asked, "Is everything going to be ok?"

Sue Ellen nodded and kissed him softly on the cheek. "Yes" she said and winked.

JR stood up, lifting his Stetson. "Come on boy! Let's get this boy's weekend started! Can you meet me in the car?"

Sue Ellen's heart was racing so fast she thought she was going to pass out. She knew she had to remain strong until they left.

"Sure Daddy! Bye Momma!" John Ross hugged Sue Ellen once more and ran outside.

"By the way", Sue Ellen said as John Ross reached the kitchen. "How did the two of you get in here?"

"Ewing Charm", they both said in unison.

"Oh...Tammy on the gate then?" Sue Ellen said with a smile.

JR winked at her and John Ross ran out to the car, the door to the kitchen slamming behind him. "What have I told you about locking doors?" JR said, with a friendly warning.

"So where are you taking him?" Sue Ellen asked ignoring his chastising her.

"The Ramada Plaza..." JR said. "Thought it would give us a chance to talk.."

"Is Cally at the Ranch?"

"Yes..." JR said, not wanting to hurt her but hoping she did appreciate he was making an effort by not staying there too.

Sue Ellen nodded sadly.

JR moved closer to her, careful not to stand on her bare feet, and was pleasantly surprised when she didn't back away. She stared at his boots until he placed both his hands on her arms. She quite visibly shivered.

"Sue Ellen look at me..." he said softly. After a second, she did. "Thank you for what you did today....I mean it. And I'm gonna do everything I can to fix this mess."

"I'm gonna hold you to that", Sue Ellen said, fingering the buttons on his shirt.

"I'll see you soon..." JR said, his thick Texan drawl making him sound even more seductive to her.

As wrong as Sue Ellen felt it was, she stood on her tiptoes, reached up and gave him a slow, lingering kiss on the lips. It felt so good to them both, after not kissing for so long.

JR moaned, deep in his throat, telling her instantly that she didn't need to regret that move.

"That's all you're getting..." she whispered as he brought his forehead to meet hers. Resting it there he closed his eyes, not wanting to leave her, but knowing from what she had said that she would not allow him to stay.

"I love you..." he said and quickly dropped a kiss on her forehead, before forcing himself to walk away.

Watching him walk away was one of the hardest things Sue Ellen had ever had to do after what he'd revealed that afternoon. But she knew it had to be that way, if they were ever to move forward. Together.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +734
    I have just caught up on the chapters.

I think they sorted the JR and Cally marriage thing when she arrived in Dallas, Bobby read the date on the doc and said it was after the date he and Sue Ellen divorced so it was legal. I can see why maybe he thought the officiant wasn't legit though.

As for JR and Sue Ellen, I liked that she made a point that she wouldn't have been receptive to the idea of working with him at the Weststar meeting because she was so angry at the time, that sort of self reflection is important. I think it's important too that they can look at their relationship and know what didn't work and that jumping straight into another relationship now isn't smart, especially as Sue Ellen put it, when she would be the other woman, making her no better than JR when they were previously married. If they can get on the same page now and maintain the level of maturity each is showing (longterm maintenance) then they might have a chance, but they should wait it out and do things the right way.

A small thing that trips me up is the modern references in a story that's supposed to be set in the original show. I don't think it's necessary to add texting or Minecraft to a story in the 80s. Just as easily John Ross could be concerned because he phoned Sue Ellen's house and she didn't answer, or he and Christopher were going to play Super Mario or Zelda.

I'm interested to see how this continues :)

8. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    @Miss Texas 1967 thank you for the feedback, I appreciate the detail you gave.

I thought it would be ok to add some modern references into the story. I thought with fan fiction we didn’t have to stick to every detail of the original setting and that imagination could allow us to deviate from that. I’ve been trying to write alternatively as I had such a rough time with this original storyline. I’m sorry if I’ve got that wrong and confused the readers.

Thanks again for reading!

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  9. Miss Texas 1967

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +734
    No, please don't take my comments as too critical, I'm sorry if they come off that way. I think the overall plot is great and that's what fanfic is about :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,968
    Medals:
    Aww so they love and want eachother but Cally is standing in their way. I think Sue Ellen did the right thing refusing to be the other woman in her relationship with JR. It was the right thing to do by Cally. However if they had ended up making love despite that he was married I wouldn't have been surprised either since they both have a history of cheating.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    Mmm @Karin Schill - Sue Ellen never cheated on JR per say. She went to another man only when he cheated on her and because of his poor treatment of her especially early on. She was never the instigator.

Thank you for the feedback. Interesting take on doing right by Cally. I’m trying to do what’s right for Sue Ellen, not out of any loyalty to Cally so it’s interesing you took that from it! Thank you so much for your interest and different point of view :)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,968
    Medals:
    I think your definition of cheating and mine are different then Sarah. Since in my opinion JR and Sue Ellen both cheated in the sense that they slept with other people while being married to each other.

Sue Ellen even said as much when JR asked her about the baby she was expecting. "I've been just as faithful to our marital vows as you have darlin'".
    JR knew what that meant and gave her a slap on the cheek because she had been unfaithful to him. :(

13. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    Ok Karin. Yes I'm very familiar with that quote. All I was trying to say was that Sue Ellen was never the instigator. JR started the ball rolling on the affairs and had an absolute cheek to criticise her for doing the same. I don't condone extra marital affairs but had he treated her better she would never have strayed.

Anyway I probably shouldn't comment on it. :(

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    JR could feel the tingle of Sue Ellen's kiss and the taste of her lips still on him as he got back into the car.

John Ross looked up at him, mischieviously.

"What were you and Momma doing?" he said giggling.

JR knew that his son was just on the cusp of having to have 'the talk' and he did momentarily wonder where John Ross' imagination had gone during his time alone in the car. He wasn't old enough yet to understand that not a lot could happen in five minutes - at least not with him and Sue Ellen.

But that was a conversation for another time as JR looked at John Ross and said,

"We were just talking son..."

"Is that why you're smiling?" John Ross asked, ever perceptive.

JR laughed out loud. John Ross was so like him. Never missed a trick.

"She kissed you didn't she?" John Ross observed. JR was astounded. Even though Sue Ellen had been wearing no lipstick, which would have been the dead giveaway in this scenario, John Ross still guessed.

"She did", JR said, very proud of the fact that it had happened. "And I kissed her right back".

"Go Dad!" John Ross said, punching the air triumphantly as though the Dallas Cowboys had just scored a touchdown in the Superbowl.

Starting the engine, looking longingly into the house where he had left Sue Ellen, JR said, "Now this has to be our little secret ok? Promise me..."

"I promise Daddy" John Ross said.

"Just until I sort things out with Cally...then I'm gonna do everything in my power to win your Momma back".

"I would love that Daddy. But only if you and Momma wise up".

"Wise up?" JR said, raising his eyebrows.

"Yes. You especially Daddy. You gotta treat my Momma right now".

JR stared at his son in amazement. He sounded so grown up and JR did wonder where he was picking up these phrases.

"Where did you learn that?" JR asked him.

"I heard it on a movie", John Ross said. "But it sorta makes sense with you and Mom".

JR smiled softly at him, embarrassed by his knowledge but knowing the boy was right.

"It sure does, son", JR said, shifting the car into gear and moving away from Sue Ellen's house before he changed his mind and forced her into the car with them.

Sue Ellen sighed deeply upon exiting the hot shower. For a long time, no matter what she had done, she hadn't been able to find any sense of peace or wellbeing. She'd searched for it since divorcing JR in work, hobbies, exercise, the rare date with other men, but no matter what she did, deep down inside her she knew nothing in her life would be the same without him.

Today, peace had returned to her. She didn't think she had any more tears to give JR Ewing. She'd been proven wrong by the tsunami that had hit her upon leaving Southfork that afternoon. Not only had she been crushed that he was marrying someone else, but the intense pain she had felt upon believing he didn't love her anymore was almost too much to bear. Despite everything, she had always believed it was still there for him, but when he hadn't responded to her that day in their old bedroom, she had felt a total disconnection in her heart.

Finding him in her home later that day had been something she could have never predicted. Although a big part of her felt bad that she had probably singlehandedly wrecked not only his wedding day but his future and Cally's immediate life for the forseeable future, part of her also felt vindicated. After all, JR had been her husband for longer than he had even known Cally and she'd known him since before Cally was even conceived. She felt entitled. And no one had a right to take that away from her.

For once, Sue Ellen was going to fight and she was prepared to stand up for what she wanted. She'd been polite and ladylike for far too long. Other women in JR's life had not only driven her to the bottle and near death, but they'd walked over her and she'd allowed them to do so, only stopping with her triumph when Mandy Winger threatened to go just that little bit too far.

After their albeit brief conversation earlier that day, Sue Ellen was content now that JR not only loved her, but wasn't prepared to live his life without her, despite the cost to Cally. Sue Ellen didn't relish in the girl being hurt and she did regret the pain this would be causing Cally and had chastised herself for her role in it. When she had suggested Cally fake a pregnancy, Sue Ellen had been hell-bent on revenge against JR for the pain he'd caused her. Any love she had for him was momentarily buried under ten tonnes of hurt. She hadn't thought that JR would have actually gone through with marrying her because he was a master at squirming his way out of anything he didn't want to be involved in.

It was then, and only then had Sue Ellen realised the enormity of the situation and then and only then had she intervened.

The peace that she now felt came from knowing he wanted her. That he'd sacrificed so much to come to her today. JR wasn't one for really caring what others thought but she was aware of the embarrassment that today would have caused him. But to the guests, it was likely 'just another wedding at Southfork' which wouldn't be normal without a little drama.
    She knew how serious he was taking it too by his protection of John Ross. She didn't know the ins and outs of what he had discussed with Cally, but the fact that John Ross was with him today spoke volumes. JR was taking a stand.

Although she didn't want to raise her hopes too much, she felt at least she could breathe again. The angst, pain and bitterness she'd been carrying around for well over a year was melting away. She knew she would have to likely face Cally eventually, and she would. She'd take responsibility for her actions just as she would have expected any other woman to have done when she was married to JR. Few had done. But Sue Ellen wasn't like them. She was different and always had been different. That's why, despite everything, she was still standing. She was still here and they weren't.

Through the years, she had often battled with herself, as to why she had given JR so much of her energy, so much of her life. That was never truer than lately, when she wondered why she just could not let it go. Let him go as so many times he'd proven himself not worth it. But she had known there was something more in there that she hadn't been ready to give up on and with the peace she was finding today had come her answer. It was love. Pure and simple. Love.

Despite everything. Despite it all.

But she knew that it wasn't going to be easy. Unlike her, JR rarely if ever wore his heart on his sleeve, but she had seen what she hoped was a little part of that today. She had always been able to read him in a way that no one else ever could and throughout their life together, she had, whether he was aware of it or not, continued to chip and chip away to make him feel that he didn't have to carry this macho image all the time, that she was his most trusted confidante and that he could safely love her without any conditions. Could it be he was finally realising that now?

Towelling her hair after slipping into her soft fluffy white dressing gown, Sue Ellen smiled. With everything she was feeling, she wasn't going to make it easy for him. She was different now. He had - in a way - admitted to her earlier that he knew that. Today had seen a seismic shift in their relationship, but it was like one they hadn't experienced before. If she was feeling it, she was sure he was too and quite possibly more so given what he'd went through to be with her today. Sue Ellen was undeniably proud of herself that she hadn't allowed herself to just fall into bed with him and that she was making him wait and prove himself to her by ending it with Cally. She had faith that he would, but she also knew that it was his very last chance. She now valued herself more than she ever did and yes that came with the - some would say affliction - of forever loving a man like JR, but she would no longer sacrifice herself for that love. She wanted to be with him but as herself, not as the former shadow of him, and she was going to make sure he understood that once and for all.

Finally regaining some of her appetite, she headed for the kitchen to make herself a light snack of salad and fruit. She hadn't been able to eat properly in days. Her cell had been left charging on the counter and it sounded out a continual beep, as if someone had tried to contact her while she was in the bathroom. Biting into a strawberry, she wiped some juice off her chin, while moving to lift the phone. Her heart skipped as she read it. It was from JR.

"Arrived at the hotel. John Ross very excited. Get some rest and see you soon...x"

Although he couldn't obviously resist getting in touch and ending his message with a kiss, Sue Ellen was pleased that his message wasn't overly flirtatious or suggestive. He was respecting what she had said earlier but at the same time letting her know that they would see each other again in time. That was all she needed for now. It was new. It was exciting. It was... Enough.

JR smiled from his hotel suite in the Ramada Plaza as the 'read' alert came up against the text he had sent Sue Ellen ten minutes earlier. He wondered if she would reply, but at the same time didn't want to put either of them in a position where they were risking their future should things turn ugly with Cally, who was proving smarter than he had first thought.

He was just about to start unpacking his small case when his cell 'dinged' an alert.

"John Ross, don't go out there yet", he instructed as he noticed John Ross about to open the balcony doors, 15 stories up at Penthouse level. John Ross turned his attention to the rather huge wide screen tv, shouted 'Cool!' and lifted the remote control.

JR looked again to his cell. "Have fun you two", it simply said, but Sue Ellen had signed it with a 'heart' emoji.

JR sighed deeply, thinking of her as the stress of the day seemed to wash away from him. Part of him wanted to turn the phone off, so that Cally couldn't reach him, but that would mean Sue Ellen couldn't reach him either.

He had another thought. He would switch the phone off, but not before texting Sue Ellen back.

"I'm switching this phone off. Room is Penthouse, Ramada Plaza if you need me..."

JR knew he was making the right decision. There was no way Cally was going to be able to stay quiet for the couple of days he'd be off the Ranch.

"John Ross, I'm just gonna make one more quick call", JR said, "Then we'll order room service and go out on the balcony what do you say?"

John Ross was seemingly absorbed in an alien movie and nodded only in response to his father's voice. JR smiled. He was content that his son was content and free from the stress at Southfork.

"Sly it's me", JR said down the line to his faithful secretary. "I'm going to be uncontactable until at least Monday.... Doesn't matter why....If anyone, and I do mean anyone, is looking for me you can't find me you got that? I'll give you my hotel details but don't disclose them to anyone."

"Yes sir", Sly responded from her end of the phone.

"Oh and Sly? Anyone except Sue Ellen", JR said, covering all bases should she need him, before switching off his phone.

JR felt very pleased with himself as he said "You hungry boy? I've worked up quite an appetite!"

"I sure am Daddy!" John Ross said, jumping to his feet. Had Sue Ellen been there, she would have laughed, her son responding to the temptation of food just as his father always did.

"Come over here and we'll look at the menu..." JR said, John Ross jumping on to his lap as JR sat at the table.

"I wanna steak!" John Ross said with excitement.

"Oh you do?" JR said laughing.

"Sure!" John Ross said, not comprehending the size of a steak in Texas just yet. He'd only ever shared with JR before.

"You got it son!" JR said, tickled by John Ross' enthusiasm.

JR picked what he wanted for himself, then bumped John Ross off his knee to go and fix himself a much needed drink. The Bourbon felt good as it slid down his throat, but nothing could mask the taste of Sue Ellen that he still felt against his lips from earlier. All he had to do was close his eyes and she was still with him. Her kiss, the scent of her hair as he'd leaned his head against hers. The magic and chemistry that they'd always had may have disappeared for a while, but it hadn't died.

And although he wished she was there enjoying this special time with him and John Ross, he knew that with patience and a lot of dedication on his part, many special nights would follow.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +667
    This is so cute.:)

Also, I've never realised how true this before you said it...

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    JR and John Ross finished their meal with John Ross unexpectedly letting out a loud belch as he finished his steak. JR was quite taken aback that his son had been able to down such a big meal, but he figured his appetite hadn't been great during the rather tumultuous time he'd experienced with Cally's arrival. He also knew how much the boy looked up to him, wanted to be like him and was trying to impress him. JR sat comfortably back in his chair and watched as the boy licked his lips, then dabbed at his mouth with a napkin just as Sue Ellen had always instructed him to.

John Ross went on to thirstily guzzle down some Coca-Cola, after which he once again wiped his mouth with the napkin.

He looked to JR and said, "That was great Daddy! What's for dessert?"

JR laughed loudly. "How can you even think about dessert after the size of that steak?"

"Easy!" John Ross said with enthusiasm.

"In a while. You don't wanna be sick.." JR said. "C'mon, let's go out on to the patio and watch the sunrise..."

John Ross seemed pleased at the idea and quickly forgot about his appetite. JR poured himself a quick Bourbon and told John Ross to wait until he opened the doors making sure everything was secure. He then summoned his son out on to the balcony, which provided magnificent views of the Dallas skyline. The lights were just starting to come on. As JR took a sip of his Bourbon, he wondered what Sue Ellen was doing, thinking how much he wished she was here with him, his arms wrapped around her tightly.

"Daddy?" John Ross said, stirring JR from his thoughts.

"Yeah son?"

"What's going to happen now with Cally?"

JR looked at his son and took a deep breath. He knew that John Ross was more perceptive than he sometimes appeared. Of the two young boys at Southfork, John Ross was often perceived as being the cocky, older child who took too much after his father. Sue Ellen was the only woman, aside from maybe Miss Ellie, who understood that both John Ross and his father had another, deeper side to them which they kept hidden from the world - JR deliberately, John Ross in learning from his father. JR knew this was a conversation that was going to happen.

"Sit down boy", JR said, motioning to John Ross to take the seat opposite him at the patio table.

John Ross did as JR asked and sat opposite him in a poise mimicking his own.

"I'm not gonna talk to you like you're not old enough to understand, John Ross. So if I say anything that you don't understand, you ask me ok? 'Cos this is real important now..."

"OK Daddy..", John Ross nodded in agreement.

"I did create this whole mess. I married Cally in Haleyville because..well, I was threatened by her brothers. After we got married, I ran away, because.."

"Because you didn't want to be married to her", John Ross said, finishing the sentence.

"That's right", JR said. "But I thought that the marriage wasn't real, because it was in a different state. A state that I thought a marriage licence wouldn't be valid in. Do you understand that?"

"I think so. You thought because the wedding was in Alabama..."

"Arkansas"

"Ark..an..saw...", John Ross struggled to repeat, "That it wasn't the same because of the state we live in?"

"That's right", JR said. "And what state is that?"

"The greatest state!"

JR laughed "That's right son! I thought that because the marriage was in Arkansas and we live in Texas, that there wasn't any way it could be...well...real".

"But it was?"

"Apparently so. And that's why Cally came lookin' for me."

"So why did you have the second wedding?"

JR took a sip of his Bourbon, knowing he had to be careful with the answer to this one. "Well, I was tryin' to do the right thing. I hadn't been such a good husband to your Momma, that I thought I should try to do right by Cally..."

"Oh man...."John Ross said sighing. "Why couldn't you just stay with Momma? You two are so dumb sometimes..."

JR laughed again, "I know we are. How come we couldn't see what you do?", he said, wishing he had the easy and simplistic view of a child.

John Ross shrugged his little shoulders and asked, "So what is going to happen now?"

"Well, that's why we are here son. Cally isn't gonna make it easy for me to divorce her. So I'm gonna have to think of some way to..."

"Get rid of her?" John Ross asked, once again emulating his father as well as totally surprising him.

JR's eyes widened in shock at the boy who was most certainly becoming a tinier version of JR. He wasn't sure whether to be proud or to knock it out of him while he still had time.

"Somethin' like that...!" JR said smiling.

"And Momma?" John Ross asked. "I know Momma loves you".

"Do you?" JR asked, more wanting to hear what John Ross knew, rather than him doubting it in anyway.

"Yes. She has a photo of you in her study and she talks about you like...well like she misses you a lot..."

JR smiled. "I miss her too".

"What happened Daddy? Why did she leave?"

"I will explain it all to you one day, son, but for now all you need to know is that I didn't treat your Momma the way she deserves to be treated. I have taken her for granted...do you know what that means?"

John Ross shook his head.

"It means that I always expected her to be there for me, no matter how badly I treated her. And then one day I woke up, and she was gone."

John Ross looked at his father with sadness in his eyes.

"I just wish we could all be together again..." John Ross said.

"I do too. And I am gonna do everything I can to make that happen", JR said. "But I need your help".

"You got it Daddy!" John Ross said with enthusiasm, very proud to be asked to be part of his father's scheme.

"You can't say a word to Cally about your Momma. Because if Cally knows that your Momma is still around, it could...well, it could make things real difficult, and we don't want anything stoppin' your Momma from comin' back to Southfork...".

John Ross nodded his understanding. "I don't have to like Cally or be nice to her do I?"

"Well I do want you to be pleasant, but no, inside you don't have to like her. Just don't do or say anything that could get us in trouble ok?"

"OK Daddy", John Ross said. "Daddy?"

"Yeah son?"

"Do you love Momma more than Cally?"

"John Ross...I don't love Cally. I do love Su....your Momma..."

"I know her name is Sue Ellen, Daddy.." John Ross said rolling his eyes and taking a sip of his Coke.

JR laughed loudly. He looked out towards the skyline and said, "It sure is.....Sue Ellen....."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Crazy For Sue Ellen

Crazy For Sue Ellen Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +299
    So glad you updated. Love your story!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals:
    That night as JR climbed into bed after ensuring that John Ross was fast asleep next door, he switched his phone back on and noticed a barrage of missed calls from Cally. Ignoring them, he couldn't resist sending one last message to Sue Ellen. He knew it was risky, but he also didn't care enough.

"I miss you. Wish you were here with me in this big, luxurious bed. Night Miss T xxx"

Lying in her own bed, staring at the ceiling she heard the ping of her phone and picked it up from the night stand.

"I wish I was too..." she wrote. Before she could stop herself she typed, "I love you..."

As soon as she'd done it she instantly regretted it and when he didn't answer straight away she sat up in bed and did something she rarely did - bite on the end of one of her long fingernails in frustration. "Damn him!" she cursed.

Wanting to cover herself, she typed again, "Delete that".

JR didn't tell her but he'd momentarily went to make himself a nightcap and left his phone on the bed. He laughed with pleasure when he saw what she'd written and could just imagine her blushing face after he didn't respond immediately.

Teasing her, he typed back, "I will not".

"I hate him"
    Sue Ellen thought, knowing he was absolutely revelling in this.

"What if she sees this? Delete it".

"I will for a small fee...."

"If it will shut you up...." Sue Ellen said, playing him at his own game.

"Send me a picture of you....now..."

JR sat back and smiled, leaning his head on the headboard, sipping his drink.

"Too risky..." Sue Ellen typed.

"No one touches my phone..."

"Still too risky...." Sue Ellen typed.

"Spoil sport...." he typed.

Sue Ellen responded with an emoji 'wink'. JR hated emojis, but he accepted them from her.

"By the way", he typed, "I love you too..."

Sue Ellen smiled and sighed in relief that she hadn't made a fool of herself after an already highly emotive day.

"Goodnight...x " she typed

"xxx" he typed back.

He felt like he first did when he had met her, all the sneaking around they'd had to do when she was a senior, how he'd had to convince Patricia Shepard to let him visit Sue Ellen in her bedroom, promising to be the perfect gentleman, the excitement he felt every time he saw her or heard her voice. They'd been so in love. Throughout the majority of their marriage, that didn't change and the love was always there despite everything, but JR knew he'd let far too many things come between them. He was so determined not to let that happen again. Although he wasn't sure how long it would be until he saw her again, he was enjoying this dance with her so much.

Sue Ellen knew that nothing could happen with JR immediately so she got on with normal life as she'd come to know it. She had a full schedule of meetings and events to attend to and although she was keeping extremely busy with both, he was never far from her thoughts.

They both knew they had to be careful so as not to arouse suspicion in Cally. She seemed hell bent on getting JR to remain committed to the marriage - that was evident in the fact she hadn't left Southfork when JR admitted he didn't want to be with her. As difficult as it was to stay away from each other, both knew they couldn't do anything which may later be seen as adulterous, or that could be used against them in a court hearing.

JR and John Ross had returned to Southfork too, after their weekend spent together. They had enjoyed it immensely and JR was thrilled to see John Ross smile and have fun again after such a difficult year. Although they had always shared a close relationship, they had further bonded, John Ross delighted by his father trusting him with 'the plan'.

JR was dreading seeing Cally on return to the Ranch, but made fast towards his room before she had a chance to talk to him. John Ross had thanked his father for the weekend and went to his room to unpack some of the new toys JR had purchased for him during their stay. He was taking advantage of the unexpected day off school.

Cally noticed how cold JR was being towards her, only acknowledging her presence and nothing more. He often skipped breakfast in favour of going to the office, was late home for dinner most nights and took John Ross out at the weekends. During the couple of weeks she'd spent on Southfork after the wedding didn't happen, Cally was struggling to cope with it, investing most of her time in painting and trying to get through to him. Despite Miss Ellie's advice, talking to Bobby and a stern word from Clayton, she wouldn't listen. But Cally wasn't giving up.

Waiting until JR inevitably went to the office, and John Ross had met Christopher off the school bus, Cally decided to move all of her clothes into JR's room. There weren't many, but she took her time bringing them across the hall and neatly placing them beside his, finding the area for her shoes and going into the en suite to display her more personal items and toiletries.

"See how you like that, Mr JR Ewing...!" she said with a smile.

Meanwhile in her own office, Sue Ellen answered her phone, delighted to hear Miss Ellie's voice at the other end of the line.

"We'd love you to be there!" the older woman cooed.

"Oh Miss Ellie, it's such a sweet offer, but I don't think I can...not with Cally there. Not after what happened at the wedding".

"I understand Sue Ellen, but John Ross asked me to ask you. He's more comfortable with you being there and I still think of you as part of the family".

Sue Ellen covered the handset so Miss Ellie wouldn't hear her sigh. Her former mother-in-law was more stoic than she, much more used to and experienced in the art of putting on a brave face, regardless of the circumstances.

"OK Miss Ellie, I'll come.." Sue Ellen said reluctantly. She smiled as it would be a good opportunity to be near JR and also to spend the day at the Ewing barbecue, an event she'd always enjoyed. If Cally said anything, she would say she was there to support her son, which was her right.

"Wonderful!" Miss Ellie said. "I'll tell JR to expect you".

"Yes m'am..." Sue Ellen said politely. By the tone of Miss Ellie's voice, Sue Ellen wasn't sure if the older woman had guessed as to what was going on....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  19. Miss Texas 1967

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +734
    If things heat up between JR and Sue Ellen she'll end up in the position she hated for so many years, the other woman. Well, not really, but sort of :p

20. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,322
    Medals: