1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. SoapLand The Final Battle

How Will It End?

Dismiss Notice

Oprah Winfrey For President? The Idea Reveals An Uncomfortable Truth

Discussion in 'US Politics' started by Frank Underwood, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Star EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    On Sunday night, Oprah Winfrey gave a stirring speech at the Golden Globes in which she inveighed against ubiquitous sexual abuse, warning abusers that “their time is up”. Many people appreciated the speech for what it was: an important spotlight on the ways sexual assault hurts not only women in Hollywood, but domestic workers, Olympians, soldiers, scientists, factory workers and others across class strata.

It was difficult to ignore that in addition to a heartfelt message of solidarity, Oprah projected dignity, poise, and an air of hopefulness which felt unfamiliar a year into Trump’s presidency. Perhaps for that reason, it occurred to thousands of viewers that Oprah Winfrey might be the 2020 candidate the Democrats have been looking for.

Celebrities ranging from Sarah Silverman to Aasif Mandvi tweeted their support of #Oprah2020, joining a chorus of pundits like Joy Ann Reid and Shaun King. Even Bill Kristol tweeted #imwithher in support of Oprah’s candidacy, proving she has bipartisan appeal.

Notably, NBC seemingly offered its endorsement, tweeting: “Nothing but respect for OUR future president” – a tweet which received over 20,000 favorites before it was deleted the next day.

Certainly, many of these “endorsements” were offered in jest. And I’m sympathetic to those who, desperate for inspiration, would revel in the fantasy that, instead of Trump, someone as likable and respectable as Oprah could occupy the Oval Office as she’s occupied America’s living rooms.

But the enthusiasm around the mere specter of Oprah’s presidency reveals an uncomfortable truth about the hypocrisy of Democrats: all the talk of competency during the 2016 presidential election, qualifications, be they ideological or political, are mere pretexts for their choice of candidate.

In the buildup to and aftershock from the 2016 election, perhaps the loudest and most consistent protest heard from Hillary Clinton supporters was “but she’s the most qualified!” Despite having a longer record of public service, Senator Bernie Sanders was deemed less, and by some, insufficiently qualified to run for president. His relative inexperience with foreign policy was a point of regular critique, and those who supported his candidacy on ideological grounds were dismissed as “purists” who didn’t understand the real “work” of being president.

In fact, Sanders’s candidacy arguably took its biggest hit when he suggested that Clinton’s history of poor political judgments, like her vote for the Iraq war, disqualified her for the presidency. Hillary’s qualifications were considered so unassailable, that to challenge them was considered de facto sexism by many.

Yet somehow, within a year of Trump’s inauguration, a not-insignificant segment of Democratic voters (or at least tweeters) have swung from fetishizing “qualifications” to adopting the Republican line on celebrity candidates whole cloth.

Like Trump, Oprah’s professional and financial success are meant to be taken as indicia of her political prowess. Despite Hillary’s wooden delivery, being a “great communicator”, is now of paramount importance.

Where Clinton could be forgiven for her vacillating positions on the war in Iraq and the TPP, what matters now above all else is good judgment. Where Bernie’s policy proposals were maligned as inadequate fantasies akin to promising everyone a “pony”, Oprah inspires on the basis of her personality alone.

Like many of those who have endorsed Oprah’s potential 2020 candidacy, I share the view that ideology and judgment should play a greater role in our choice of leadership than mere political experience. Presidents have an incredible influence over our political imagination: they teach us what is possible, and have the power to expand or limit our political expectations.

For this reason, I voted for the candidate who advocated for Medicare for All over the one who preached that single-payer would “never, ever come to pass”. But ideology is not identity. And identity, whether based in race, gender or celebrity, is not enough.

What Democrats need is a candidate who is willing to back the myriad progressive issues which have long been supported by the majority of Americans, and who will gladly trade political expediency for popular support.

Perhaps Oprah Winfrey is one such candidate. But given that Oprah’s political identity is largely a blank slate, (with some questionable blemishes that bear some inquiry), anyone who pretends to know she’s “qualified” based on her public persona alone is all talk, no show.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ah-winfrey-president-idea-uncomfortable-truth

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    "indicia"? I've got a new addition to my vocabulary!

:spinning:

3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,529
    Medals:
    Oprah is a great TV presenter and a great president ...of Harpo Productions but America needs to learn the lesson of voting for someone based on personality rather than policies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    I get why the establishment loves Oprah. She has no positions, she's benign, she's a black woman, and she's a billionaire. In other words, platitudes, identity politics, and corporatism.

I rarely watched Oprah's show, but I understood why people found her inspiring. Then I saw a clip from 2002 where she used her show as a platform to push for the Iraq War. An audience member even pointed out that it felt like war propaganda, which made Oprah defensive and dismissive. Sadly, war promoters are now welcomed into the Democratic Party.

5. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    She also took the music industry's cue that she compared Justin Bieber to Elvis, Sinatra, MJ, and the Beatles when Bieber appeared on her show in 2010.

So girlfriend is a little gullible. But her narcissism is right for the job.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    Medals:
    Oprah2020 smacks of the irritating liberal trend of identity politics written all over it, Oprah is far more likable than both Trump and Hilary Clinton put together, however, it's not her policies is the reason most want her to run for president.

Its because she will be the first black, female, unmarried president, a triple wammy right there for those pushing for identity politics.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    That's it in a nutshell. Dems like identity politics because they see it as a shield against criticism. Bernie supporters were smeared as being sexists because they dared to criticize the policy positions of Hillary Clinton. Progressives that criticized Obama for not following through on his progressive agenda were accused of being racist. Imagine what progressives are in for if they criticize Oprah. The Democratic establishment cares about manners and platitudes more than policy. If they really resisted Trump like they claim, they wouldn't hand him warrantless surveillance powers. They wouldn't confirm his unqualified and draconian nominees. They wouldn't vote in favor of a $700 billion increase in the military budget.

The fact is neoliberals only oppose Trump's vulgarity. They simply want a candidate who can put a polite face on shitty policies. Enter Oprah.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    Bieber's not in their league now, let alone in 2010 when he was fresh out of Pampers. Sounds like she was blowing smoke up his ass.

The Dems think the answer to Trump is to run a rich, policy-deficient celebrity of their own that they can mold in their image. And it doesn't hurt that she's black, female, and benign.

Of course, the Democratic establishment lambasted Bernie for offering everybody a "free pony." How will they treat Oprah when she promises us all a new car?

9. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    It wasn't just Oprah. She was essentially reading the industry's pamphlet on how to introduce Bieber circa 2010. So ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    Medals:
    Britain has the same issue with identity politics, though not on the same scale, but we're getting there, thankfully Corbyn seems to be focused on old school left wing ideas such as class injustice.

What liberal lefts do not understand, or don't want to understand is that Brexit and Trump had very common root causes as to why they happened: liberals not listening to the concerns of the working class and their place in an increasingly globalised world

Instead you got now are rather bourgeois issues such as gender fluidity, no real discussions on legitimate concerns that effect the every day, blue collar/middle class Joe (I'm not dismissing gender fluidity here please understand that)

If the liberal left want to prevent another type of Brexit or another person, possibly worse than Trump getting into office then they better start listening to the so called
    "Bernie Bros" a term which I hate, can you imagine the uproar if we called Clinton supporters: The Clinton Sisterhood? Further evidence that identity politics divide people further.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    Excellent post. I know all too well what it's like trying to articulate this point of view to liberals, only for them to ignore or dismiss it. I've had people on this board tell me I was influenced by Putin, that my dislike for Hillary and the establishment media is "bizarre," that I'm probably a misogynist because I dislike Hillary (even though I voted for Jill Stein), etc.

I also find it interesting that the left shames progressives who didn't vote for Hillary. As if any candidate is ever entitled to our vote. It makes no sense to me to have to choose between two candidates I find reprehensible and who don't share my views on policy, regardless of their chances of winning. The whole point of a democracy is that our vote goes to the candidate who best represents our views. If liberals want to thumb their nose at class injustice in favor of identity politics, this is what they get. And it's not like Dems in America oppose Trump all that much. Many of them have supported his nominees, increasing the military budget by $700 billion, extending warrantless surveillance of Americans, etc.

But hey, at least they get on their soapbox whenever he insults someone on Twitter!

So yeah, count me in as someone who identifies more with the old school left wing than what the left has devolved into.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Oprah liked Knots Landing. That alone qualifies her for president in my view! I could imagine her campaigning in Seaview Circle with Karen and Mac, rolling out more Obamacare, abolishing guns and sharing out the love in neighborhood block parties...

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    Medals:
    What irritates me about liberal lefts is their short memory, over here, Blair is now the champion of the Remain cause, so remainers have "forgotten" his responsibility in descending Britain further in neoliberalism, his heinous lies on the Iraq War and buddying up with George W Bush.

Now the liberal left are making a mockery of left wing politics by shutting their ears to reasonable discussions, making universities not places to learn new ideas, but places for learning how to divide ourselves into every race, creed, gender, sexuality, age, eye colour, foot size, vegans, meat eaters etc etc

Politicians no longer need to use divide and conquer tactics, the liberal left are doing that all by themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,156
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    ...And becoming the next Joshua Rush. Maybe. Probably. I just can´t stand people who tend to shout when they talk in public in whatever circumstances. So tacky. :fp:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    Oh dear, her shouting is so obnoxious. I can only imagine what her state of the union addresses would be like! :eck:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    And the screaming. Can you just imagine all the screaming...??

EDIT: oops. BDCalhoun beat me to it by 8 hours.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,959
    Whether you like - or not - Oprah Winfrey, she is entitled to run for President. It's then up to the voters based on the nominees policies to vote accordingly and that is usually when all the wheels fall off the wagon. Just like other countries the race for the top office has become more about the popularity contest rather than viewing the governments past performance or future policies. I've now been voting for 35 years. Each and every time an Election is approaching I've listened to what each party is going to do for Health, Education but more importantly the Economy. Guess what? Nothing changes. My local school still operates just like it did when I began my education there in 1970. The local hospital still operates from the same site albeit with extensions. I've reached a point in my life where I no longer care. Politics has become this almighty beast which sucks the life out of you if your not watching. Politicians believe the 24 NEWS Channels are there for their personal, "I need to tell the world something important."

As I write this it would appear Oprah has said no to running for President in 2020. Why run for something and exact change when you can stand on the podium of the Golden Globes and feel the warm embrace of those leftie media darlings...and do nothing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    America needs a handsome president, strong and manly in appearance. Any suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,473
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    How about Colton? He's done the movies, the music...
    [​IMG]

Or maybe a younger person?

• Winner Winner x 1