Pam lookalike....

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by TJames03, Oct 2, 2018.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +400

I don't know...no recast could ever top VP...(and the Donna Reed debacle soured the show on recasts) but I wonder what the show would have been like has this actress been Pam for the remaining years of the show...

Granted, very few prime time soap recasts work....but who knows...?

2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,681
    I wouldn't say the spitting image of Pam (Victoria) but this actress certainly has some of Victoria's mannerisms which had me freaking out. The one thing that tends to let this kind of scenario down is the voice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,737
    She was OK in isolation, but only one person was Pam - that was Victoria Principal.

The same with the rest of all the main characters - the actors and actresses had established themselves so well that you can't see anyone else portraying the characters.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,681
    It's why I had such an issue with Donna Reed replacing Barbara Bel Geddes. The two actresses were like chalk and cheese. The producers didn't even attempt to try and hide the fact Miss Ellie had been recast. It was like they were thumbing their collective noses at Barbara.

I know others have stated the characters of Gary, Jenna and Kristin were played by different actors but their initial roles were minor so by the time the character was reintroduced it wasn't of much concern. But recasting the role of Miss Ellie was just a major blunder. It was my first inkling something was off with Dallas behind the scenes.

On a side note. While everyone else appeared to age in Dallas, in this clip Bobby (Patrick) appears to have found the fountain of youth.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    Its strange how much she sounded like VP, even her mannerisms!
    To be honest I wouldn't have minded Margaret Michaels playing Pam, she was much missed in later years and since the two actresses look so alike and the fact that Pam did have plastic surgery after her car accident, I could have accepted this recast.

This clip proves one thing, Bobby was still very much in love with Pam and was no where near over her, even years after her departure, I don't deny he loved April, but I think his desire for her was more based on not wanting to be alone and to provide a mother for Christopher, than actual head over heels love that he had for Pam and to an extent Jenna.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I agree, and the writers could use this to their advantage.

Imagine Pam making a miraculous recovery, although she needed plastic surgery as part of the healing process. Pam and Bobby decide that they have been given a second chance at life, and they are going to take full advantage of this second chance.

Bobby and Pam announce to the family that while they appreciate everything family money has given them, they want to make a life that they built on their own. Pam and Bobby move to a small ranch house near Dallas to see if they can build a life together starting from scratch.

Imagine the juxtaposition of J.R. closing a big deal over steak dinner, while we see Bobby driving a dusty pickup truck out to the oil fields setting up contracts one at a time to build his business.

And the juxtaposition of Sue Ellen, surrounded by nannies and maids, while we see Pam struggling to load kids into the carpool for school.

And in the evening, Sue Ellen is in one place while J.R. is in another, wining and dining a big client. This placed against the scene of Pam and Bobby working together in a cheap diner to give a proposal to a young oilfield services company. As they come to an agreement, Bobby pauses, "I don't want to be trading on my Daddy's name."
    The owner of the young oil company responds, "If this project works out, you'll be trading on YOUR name."

Pam and Bobby smile at each other, and they radiate a feeling of, "It's us against the world".

Of course, there are problems. But again, those problems are great storylines. We can see J.R. and the others solving problems using the family wealth and power. We see Bobby and Pam relying on each other to get through the problems that life and business throws at them.

It would have been interesting to see a long-term story line of Bobby and Pam starting out with nothing so we could watch them build a life and business together.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I think it was worth trying. The point is that she did resemble VP. She was not a big name shoe-horned into the role for the publicity.

• Agree Agree x 1